U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:07 AM
 
Location: somewhere
4,264 posts, read 8,138,890 times
Reputation: 3143

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
You know it's not fair to the monkeys to compare them...

I am sorry you are right, just saying a group of monkeys could do a better job. I will apologize to the monkeys at the zoo for comparing them to the goobs we have running our gov't the next time I am there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 11,614,175 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I don't think there should be back pay. I mean if a private sector company shuts down for any reason, they don't get back pay and they are lucky if they get to keep their jobs. Why should it be any different for govt employees?

As far as this shutdown goes, I think it is time to get serious about balancing the budget and I support the GOP's attempt to try to cut spending. There will be some pain in cutting spending and the sooner we face it the better off we'll be.
If 'if' was a 5th, we would all be drunk.

The private sector doesn't have to suffer through periods like this unless they are directly paid by the federal government. We can't control how Congressmen are able to agree on a budget. Should we suffer for that reason especially considering that they could have the shut down, they could still get paid, and we lose pay? Does it really make sense that the people who are causing the shut down will not be hurt by it? If anything, you should be complaining about your representatives and senators still getting paid for causing this mess.

It is unfortunate that many of those contractors will not get back pay, but that's not our fault either. If anything I would imagine that is something that should be taken to their individual company and not the federal employees. It would be great if everyone could get their pay, but should we really advocate federal workers not getting paid, just because some contracting companies are too greedy to do the same thing for their employees? Does that really make sense, especially since they haven't done anything to deserve this treatment either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:51 AM
 
Location: somewhere
4,264 posts, read 8,138,890 times
Reputation: 3143
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
If 'if' was a 5th, we would all be drunk.

The private sector doesn't have to suffer through periods like this unless they are directly paid by the federal government. We can't control how Congressmen are able to agree on a budget. Should we suffer for that reason especially considering that they could have the shut down, they could still get paid, and we lose pay? Does it really make sense that the people who are causing the shut down will not be hurt by it? If anything, you should be complaining about your representatives and senators still getting paid for causing this mess.

It is unfortunate that many of those contractors will not get back pay, but that's not our fault either. If anything I would imagine that is something that should be taken to their individual company and not the federal employees. It would be great if everyone could get their pay, but should we really advocate federal workers not getting paid, just because some contracting companies are too greedy to do the same thing for their employees? Does that really make sense, especially since they haven't done anything to deserve this treatment either?

Agreed, most federal workers don't work for the government for it's great pay, most work for it because it is normally a stable job not prone to layoffs. In making less pay we trade that for job stability. I am willing to go without our pay in the event of a shutdown, if Congress and the President is willing to go without theirs, since they aren't then we shouldn't have to either. So in the best interest of our economy, both in NOVA and in our country, they need to compromise and keep the federal employees working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Reputation: 42860
It seems like most people I know around here have been deemed "essential." I'm sorry for one neighbor who does maintenance work at the Library of Congress, but other than him I don't know too many people who will be out of work. I suspect a large number of furloughs will be in federal offices out in the midwest, California, and the rust belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 AM
 
Location: somewhere
4,264 posts, read 8,138,890 times
Reputation: 3143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It seems like most people I know around here have been deemed "essential." I'm sorry for one neighbor who does maintenance work at the Library of Congress, but other than him I don't know too many people who will be out of work. I suspect a large number of furloughs will be in federal offices out in the midwest, California, and the rust belt.
My husband found out yesterday that most in his branch are not deemed essential, despite the fact they provide support for the agents in the field, instead they will leave the big bosses who couldn't do their jobs without the these personnel to deal with it. I am wishing we were still in the field, he would be deem essential there and while we would have to go without pay until the shutdown was over, we would be paid when it was over. If they fail to pass a budget or the CR that the GOP is trying to get passed today, the military will have no pay beyond Friday, seems as though our esteemed Congress forgot to appropriate funds for the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Reputation: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It seems like most people I know around here have been deemed "essential." I'm sorry for one neighbor who does maintenance work at the Library of Congress, but other than him I don't know too many people who will be out of work. I suspect a large number of furloughs will be in federal offices out in the midwest, California, and the rust belt.

I work in a building of several thousand people and most of will NOT be coming to work if there is a shutdown. You just must have friends in high places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 1,862,512 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Agreed, most federal workers don't work for the government for it's great pay, most work for it because it is normally a stable job not prone to layoffs. In making less pay we trade that for job stability. I am willing to go without our pay in the event of a shutdown, if Congress and the President is willing to go without theirs, since they aren't then we shouldn't have to either. So in the best interest of our economy, both in NOVA and in our country, they need to compromise and keep the federal employees working.
I can definitely see merit in both sides of this argument and both sides of the aisles in congress (and the executive branch). I don't agree with this statement though. We cannot let the Congress and President go without pay because of our minimum wage. Also, a doubt how "constitutional" a dramatic involuntary drop in pay to minimum wage would be. I hear alot of people trying to make that argument, but Congress and the President do not have a choice of whether to go to work when a country's decisions need to be made.

I think the most valid arguing point is keeping the military paid. They have no choice in their ability to work and they cannot be furloughed. I heard that they may not get paid and have to get back pay afterwards? Thats pretty much a smack in the face to the servicemen(women).

The last statement, i completely agree with. Anything longer than a couple of days would strongly effect the NoVA economy. The fighting match of one side trying to appease their voters no matter what, and the other trying not to look weak is a waste. I think it is more symbolic than an actual money saver. We don't need symbolic gestures out here, we need our jobs and tourism revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Reputation: 42860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I work in a building of several thousand people and most of will NOT be coming to work if there is a shutdown. You just must have friends in high places.
Maybe, although I would have guessed we're all just a bunch of ordinary joes. I don't know what my neighbors do for a living, but we live in Cascades, which is a middle of the road area, not Movers and Shakers land.

Maybe they don't know and are making assumptions? Have the federal workers been officially told who will and who will not be furloughed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 AM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Reputation: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Maybe, although I would have guessed we're all just a bunch of ordinary joes. I don't know what my neighbors do for a living, but we live in Cascades, which is a middle of the road area, not Movers and Shakers land.

Maybe they don't know and are making assumptions? Have the federal workers been officially told who will and who will not be furloughed?

Well, just 10 minutes ago we got our first official e-mail on this and we have been told that by COB tomorrow, people will be told if they are essential or not. We've also been told to show up Monday morning as usual so that we can be sent home after signing some paperwork.

Our health benefits premium will continue but Vision and Dental will not (we can contribute on our own to keep them going).

Use of leave for furloughed time will not be allowed and if you were scheduled to be on leave during that time, it will be revoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Reputation: 42860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Use of leave for furloughed time will not be allowed and if you were scheduled to be on leave during that time, it will be revoked.
Interesting. I wonder why they won't you use leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top