Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,462 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband and I have recently moved to NOVA, we are renting in Arlington but looking to buy a SFH. We have a limit of only $250k so we are having to look in the Manassas/Woodbridge areas. I have been to over 20 properties and have finally seen 4 that are possibilities but I am looking for some more info on the specific areas, in particular if they are safe and if the areas are likely to go up in value or not.

1. Salem St, West Gate of Lomond, Manassas 20110
2. Cavalry Lane, Deer Park, Manassas 20110
3. Macbeth St, Highland Park, Manassas 20110
4. Hillendale Dr, Dale City, Woodbridge 22193
5. Huntington Ln, Dale City, Woodbridge, 22193

Do you think one of these areas is a better area in terms of investment?

All 5 of these are in better streets than some we have seen but we are still not 100%, so any advice would be very welcome, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Where will you all be working? IMO, if you'll be working in DC the commute from Woodbridge has more options than Manassas.

I66 seems to be more congested than I95 IMO. It may be because HOV on I95 is physically separated while I66 is just a designated "lane".

Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM

My husband works at Crystal City and will get the VRE from either Woodbridge or Manassas.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
I am a retired police officer for PWC and know these neighborhoods very well. I'll rank the order I'd list if this were me. And the last three has little chance of me ever moving there. Now I know a few will come on here and argue how wrong I am but I am basing my opinion on over 30 years of experience working these neighborhoods. I know all of these neighborhoods have some good people living there but I still would not move to them.

1- Macbeth St
2- Cavalry Ln

3- Salem
4- Huntington
5- Hillendale

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks so much for this, so do you think Macbeth & Cavalry are decent areas? Are there any areas of Dale City you would recommend?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosterhaus View Post
Thanks so much for this, so do you think Macbeth & Cavalry are decent areas? Are there any areas of Dale City you would recommend?
Are they in GREAT neighborhoods? No. Are they good? I believe they are but any neighborhood can have the "neighbors from hell" so no guarantees. As fas as Dale City the further west you head on Dale Blvd the newer the neighborhoods. Between Prince Dale and Hoadly Rd the neighborhoods are pretty good but more expensive.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Are they in GREAT neighborhoods? No. Are they good? I believe they are but any neighborhood can have the "neighbors from hell" so no guarantees. As fas as Dale City the further west you head on Dale Blvd the newer the neighborhoods. Between Prince Dale and Hoadly Rd the neighborhoods are pretty good but more expensive.
While I don't live in the "planned community" of Dale City, I have a 22193-Dale City zip code. Look for anything off Cardinal Drive but avoid the streets/neighborhoods with "E".

Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,155 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, my husband and I have recently moved to NOVA, we are renting in Arlington but looking to buy a SFH. We have a limit of only $250k so we are having to look in the Manassas/Woodbridge areas. I have been to over 20 properties and have finally seen 4 that are possibilities but I am looking for some more info on the specific areas, in particular if they are safe and if the areas are likely to go up in value or not.

4. Hillendale Dr, Dale City, Woodbridge 22193
5. Huntington Ln, Dale City, Woodbridge, 22193

Do you think one of these areas is a better area in terms of investment?

All 5 of these are in better streets than some we have seen but we are still not 100%, so any advice would be very welcome, thank you!
I don't know much about Manassas, but I'm in Dale City (Nottingdale community).

Hillendale is one street I would avoid. It is a major commuter route connecting Dale Blvd with the Prince William Parkway, and as such, there's a fair amount of traffic on it.

Huntington is pretty much the opposite. Either end of Huntington (it's split in the middle by Hawthorn Lane) is a cul-de-sac, and that means no thru traffic, less noise, and better for kids (if not applicable to you now, it's something to think about in terms of re-sale value). And it also offers easy access to Hillendale as well as a separate route to take to the PW Parkway.

As far as commuting goes, your husband may want to check into van pools. There are a number that run from the Horner Road commuter lot (right off I-95 at the PW Parkway) to Crystal City, and it may prove to be a faster and less expensive alternative to the VRE.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Thank you - how do the van pools work? how much do they cost?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,501 times
Quote:
Thank you - how do the van pools work? how much do they cost?

I can't answer your question, but one of the best ways to commute is via slugging. I did it for 30 years. Horner Road Slug Line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia