Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,489 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it's perfectly fine to bail out the mortgage industry and the banks (and the high paid people who work in those fields) but when it comes time to help out the civil servants- forget it. Let's not forget that the federal employees are already subject to a pay freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
My hubby is a fed. Since we may not get paid, he'll be taking over the childcare duties. Can't pay our childcare worker if we aren't going to get paid. Fortunately they are very understanding (not a commercial place). Then there's the 5 gallon bucket of paint in the laundry room that's been waiting to be applied to the hallways and stairwell. That'll get him through the first couple of days. in the meantime I'll be picking up some afternoon sub jobs after my 1/2 kindergarten class leaves. I have a mortgage to pay! On second thought, wonder if I could get a "bail-out" from the mortgage company since I bailed them out in the first place......sorry rather snarky about the whole thing.
Believe me, I have been sitting on my hands all day trying to keep the snark contained inside me.

Yes, we can bail out these billionaires but the civil servants carry the weight of it on their shoulders. On another thread I read, someone called us the "entitled class." I love it.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH1978 View Post
My husband will be working, since he's considered "essential". I kind of wish he'd have a few days off since he's been working so much lately. Our anniversary is tomorrow and it would have been nice to spend it together!
Happy anniversary!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM

61 posts, read 112,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Yeah, it's perfectly fine to bail out the mortgage industry and the banks (and the high paid people who work in those fields) but when it comes time to help out the civil servants- forget it. Let's not forget that the federal employees are already subject to a pay freeze.
Priorities just don't seem right, do they?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
Wow, is that the perception of the new Govts?
Hey, if you really want dumb, the dumbest thing I've heard so far was from an "old govt". He's bragging about the trouble he intends to get into on GW Parkway without the National Park policing it. He's joking, of course. Well, I sure hope he's joking.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Believe me, I have been sitting on my hands all day trying to keep the snark contained inside me.
LOL, me too.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellington View Post
As a private industry worker, I'd LOVE to take a several month-long unpaid furlough (provided I still had a job to come back to). All work and no play makes P.I. Jane/Joe an unhappy wo/man.
It's nice that as a private industry worker you would be able to afford a several month-long unpaid furlough to play.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Well, my husband hasn't been working because he just had quadruple bypass. His medical leave will be cancelled and he may not get paid. I was thinking of leaving for a quick trip to Vermont Friday night if the shutdown was going to happen... However, I am a contractor and since my contract is funded - I report to work. So - darnnit....but, at least I'll be paid!
Wow, that is rough. My heart goes out to you, that has to be very difficult to go through.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
A couple of us at work had planned on going for a couple of motorcycle rides, but they said we had to come into work and not get paid. hooray... We're probably going to be twiddling our thumbs because the work flow is going to be drastically reduced.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Well, my husband hasn't been working because he just had quadruple bypass. His medical leave will be cancelled and he may not get paid. I was thinking of leaving for a quick trip to Vermont Friday night if the shutdown was going to happen... However, I am a contractor and since my contract is funded - I report to work. So - darnnit....but, at least I'll be paid!
Similar situation here -- my spouse would have been declared essential, but he's out on medical leave (FMLA) and he confirmed today that he will not get paid in the event of a shutdown. I work for a trade association and will be working. We had planned a trip to NYC for spring break with the kids, but that had to be canceled due to the medical issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia