U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,083,711 times

Advertisements

What's all the hoopla about? These things usually last at the most two weeks and they don't happen every year! Take a vacation, relax, enjoy time w/ family! Heck, I've heard some agencies have saved up enough $$ to keep their employees working through the furlough. I for one will be enjoying breathing cleaner air and not getting stuck in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 AM

6,560 posts, read 10,854,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
What's all the hoopla about? These things usually last at the most two weeks and they don't happen every year! Take a vacation, relax, enjoy time w/ family! Heck, I've heard some agencies have saved up enough $$ to keep their employees working through the furlough. I for one will be enjoying breathing cleaner air and not getting stuck in traffic.

Agencies cannot "save" money and allow their employees to work during a furlough. And if it had gone for two weeks this could mean a financial disaster for some who love paycheck to paycheck. Some could take the time and relax but certainly not all.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Looks like it's back to work as usual next week. I'm glad that got worked out.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Looks like it's back to work as usual next week. I'm glad that got worked out.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:59 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,142,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Agencies cannot "save" money and allow their employees to work during a furlough. And if it had gone for two weeks this could mean a financial disaster for some who love paycheck to paycheck. Some could take the time and relax but certainly not all.
This is very true, I think most people are unaware how far reaching a shut down could be and how many it would really affect.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:07 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
This is very true, I think most people are unaware how far reaching a shut down could be and how many it would really affect.
What I've learned in the last few days is really how much the average citizen doesn't know about the government, what government workers do (yes we actually have purposes/functions that yield results), and what the effects on many people when we have a breakdown of government.

The whole thing really saddened me and I had to eat a big hot fudge sundae last night to make me feel better.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
I discovered how much solidarity I feel with the federal workers here. I'm not a federal worker, but I started realizing how much this would affect me (and people I know).

Although I believe strongly in making the best of a situation and finding ways to be cheerful no matter what, this situation also made me realize how important it is to let people know the damage that could be done. I think this was a "testing the waters" situation. In other words, if it had appeared easy and painless to shut down the government without any affect, in another year the jobs that were temporarily shut down would have been completely eliminated.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,621,248 times
I'm glad they got the deal done too, but I don't really like what I heard their motivation was. They kept talking about the importance of helping military families, so they do not end up struggling. Well, where were these thought for federal workers? I mean not all federal workers are GS-14s, making six figures, and living in a McMansion. They should have been motivated by the America people first because there are a lot of citizens not in the military or government that would be hurt by this, then the military families and federal worker's families should be up there too. As it is I'm glad it's done and I look forward to being at work next week instead of watching annoying news reports from local news stations.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,869,313 times
The military thing is just a way to save face.

I think the cooler heads in the GOP prevailed because a shutdown is just too risky....they remember that it blew up in their faces the last time.

No way they wanted to hand Obama a gift like that!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:18 AM

259 posts, read 446,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm glad they got the deal done too, but I don't really like what I heard their motivation was. They kept talking about the importance of helping military families, so they do not end up struggling. Well, where were these thought for federal workers? I mean not all federal workers are GS-14s, making six figures, and living in a McMansion. They should have been motivated by the America people first because there are a lot of citizens not in the military or government that would be hurt by this, then the military families and federal worker's families should be up there too. As it is I'm glad it's done and I look forward to being at work next week instead of watching annoying news reports from local news stations.
Yes exactly. Not everyone is a GS-14. I'm a lowly GS-8 and I rent a small room and am live separately from my spouse and child until I get a raise and my spouse starts working again, but I'm proud of what I do and who I do it for. The perception of Federal government workers is horrible. Some of us are sacrificing to have the PRIVILEGE to work in behalf of our country. So I don't think it's too much to ask for a little stability if anything.

I have a definite offer on the table from a very well known and successful consulting/contract company that would almost double my salary. You would think I would jump on it...especially since I have a spouse and children, but I suffer from this condition called allegiance...and though I could definitely use more income, that will come in time.

At the same time I'm happy for the military families as well. Their sacrifice is often even more. My job allows me the ability to deploy in the war zones in support of our military so they are like family to me.

All this partisan-ism does nothing but divide our nation...it breaks down into political agendas and "principles", instead of us COLLECTIVELY compromising for the best of our nation. It's disgusting, and it weakens our nation.

While I am definitely happy that there will not be a furlough for now, I will not feel at true ease until our overall economy gets back on track and people can get worthwhile jobs/careers again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia