U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM

404 posts, read 1,005,947 times

Advertisements

So last week I had an interview for a marketing coordinator position. I interview with the owner of the company and I was just really turned off by his arrogance. I was trying to tell him how I could apply my skills to improve their online marketing efforts. He didn't care a bit and was telling me how successful he is and that he can teach me everything he knows because he was a teacher before. He just had an attitude like I'm above you and you do everything I say, if not you will not have a job. I got that job offer but turned it down because I did not like the company.

That same day right after that interview I received an email on my phone from a job I applied to saying she would like to speak to me on the phone and asked when was a good time. I immediately replied and told her anytime that day is good. 30 minutes she calls and asks if I know about the company, I told her I briefly checked out the website on my phone but asked if she could give me a quick run down of the company and the position. She rudely replied "who don't know who we are!? how are you supposed to interview with us when you dont even know what we do?, you're clearly not the person for this position" She then hung up. I'm like WTF!? Does she not taken into consideration that people spend hours every day applying for jobs? I'm not going to research every single job I apply for. She shouldn't have expected me to know the company 30 minutes after I reply to her email.

I dont want to generalize but do many professionals in the area act like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,362,209 times
I think the problem is you. Before replying to that lady, you should have done a quick research, but since you said you wont research, then noone is going to take you seriously. In addition, if you are going to be a marketing coordinator, I would highly suggest you clear up your grammar skills and quit staring sentences with "So". What you're looking for is a "career" not a "job".

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,080,549 times
I hope so.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:00 PM

660 posts, read 1,501,726 times
It certainly sounds like you dealt with two rude people recently. The second one in particular behaved in a particularly unprofessional manner, but I can't say I blame her for not continuing the conversation.

It's a terrible economy, and presumably you were one of many applicants for the position. Think of the situation from her standpoint - why should she spend time with you, who admittedly didn't know much about the job or the position, when there were likely many other applicants who knew a lot more about what they had applied for? I don't work in HR, but it seems to be that one of the biggest turn-offs in a job application is a lack of familiarity with the potential employer. That says, "hey, I really need a job, and you will do," which isn't really what any employer wants to hear, especially not in this economy.

I'm sorry that you dealt with two area professionals who didn't behave professionally. Hanging up on someone after rudely rejecting someone is not the kind of behavior any employer should exhibit, regardless of the economy. I'm not sure that "I'm not going to research every single job I apply for" is a statement that will go over well with HR employees in any market, however.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM

384 posts, read 901,510 times
Yes, alot of people in the DC area think they are God's gift to business, government, and academia. This is quite typical in this area. Welcome to thunderdome!

However, consider humoring people like the HR lady. It sounds like she took your comment a little personally. I would recommend just asking more details about the job with the HR person and researching on your own what the company does. It pays to be diplomatic, even if the person you are dealing with is unprofessional or has no manners.

If you are really PO'ed about it, call the company and talk to another HR person. The worst they can do is say no. Good luck with your job search!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM

83 posts, read 172,571 times
You've got to shoulder a lot of the blame for the latter one. You asked a company to hire you for a job without doing any research on the company -- I don't blame the HR person for being upset. You were wasting her time.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM

61 posts, read 100,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
She rudely replied "who don't know who we are!? how are you supposed to interview with us when you dont even know what we do?, you're clearly not the person for this position" She then hung up. Does she not taken into consideration that people spend hours every day applying for jobs? I'm not going to research every single job I apply for. She shouldn't have expected me to know the company 30 minutes after I reply to her email.
It sounds like you're applying to multiple jobs, so it's very likely that you don't have the time to research every one. However, when you know an interview is coming, you should take the time to do that research, because this is your chance to actually get a job.

Your mistake here was giving the impression you didn't know what the company does. When you interview, you're expected to have done research on the company in order to have intelligent conversation on how your skills will benefit them. Since you knew a phone interview was coming, you should have taken a little time to research them, so you'd be prepared. The difference is that you "knew" you were going to have a phone interview with this particular company, and not a "I might have an interview" like with other applications you've submitted with other potential employers. See the difference?

This woman's reaction may have appeared rude, but she was probably taken aback that you didn't know what they did, thus indicating that you weren't serious taking the job, but rather "any job will do." Most companies aren't interested in those kinds of attitudes, especially when they have a large stack of applicants for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
I dont want to generalize but do many professionals in the area act like this?
On an unrelated note (because this woman's reaction may have warranted the response), a lot of people in this area do have very arrogant attitudes. Even though you'll find arrogant attitudes everywhere (and not just NoVA/DC), you'll find a larger percentage of them here, for sure.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,051,227 times
Just because one person acts a certain way doesn't mean everyone acts that way.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,080,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwellington View Post
On an unrelated note (because this woman's reaction may have warranted the response), a lot of people in this area do have very arrogant attitudes. Even though you'll find arrogant attitudes everywhere (and not just NoVA/DC), you'll find a larger percentage of them here, for sure.
I think sometimes self assuredness is mistaken for arrogance. A lot of people here are experienced, educated, and not about to be taken for somebody's fool. Is that really a bad thing?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM

61 posts, read 100,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think sometimes self assuredness is mistaken for arrogance. A lot of people here are experienced, educated, and not about to be taken for somebody's fool. Is that really a bad thing?
There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Northern Virginians cross way over that line all too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia