U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,750,418 times

Advertisements

I heard a rec recently for Chez Andree in Old Town Alexandria;
haven't scoured this entire thread to see if it's been mentioned
but maybe someone else has experience w/ it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
i'm still trying to figure out what's so pretentious about a French cafe...
Or lawns --particularly when located in highly-rated school districts. Overall, I seem to sense a certain aura of seeking to find things to look down upon in general, extending even to food prepared in a restaurant not being the only scion of its incorporated parents. A puzzlement, all in all.

Q: Is Starbuck's really a French cafe as envisioned through the organic bark mulch prism of the Pacific Northwest?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:12 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
If its true that there is much (ethnic restaurants, etc) to compensate for the lack of continental bistros, its ALSO true that a vibrant townhouse lifestyle compensates for the cost of SFH's. If its true that some folks are blinded to the abundance of ethnic restaurants by a somewhat ethnocentric, or even "pretentious" focus on certain western european restauarant types, its ALSO true that folks are blinded to the possibilities of townhouse (and maybe even condo) life by assumptions, which have their deep roots in pretense, about the desirability of a SFH on a standard or larger lot. If its true that SOME folks have good, substantive reasons to want a SFH rather than a TH, its equally true that some folks like a bistro for reasons having nothing to do with pretense.
You are doing fine there on your own, so I am going to leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
extending even to food prepared in a restaurant not being the only scion of its incorporated parents. A puzzlement, all in all.
Still waiting for the name of a chain place that serves "great" food.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Or lawns --particularly when located in highly-rated school districts.
I do think I have been misread, but I am not going to go on about it anymore.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I could well imagine Vienna being different BUT - Its been a while, but Ive biked on vienna from nottaway upt to the W&OD, and ISTR seeing lots of empty lawns (and that was certainly not on a weekday).

Certainly in annandale i see lots of large, empty lawns, and few kids outside.
If you come to places like Ashburn, you will see nothing but kids and dog stuff in the backyard. You need to get out of the Beltway once in a while. There is more to NoVA.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I heard a rec recently for Chez Andree in Old Town Alexandria; haven't scoured this entire thread to see if it's been mentioned but maybe someone else has experience w/ it?
Not really in Old Town, but I did eat there once. It was twenty years ago. Perhaps that says enough about it as of twenty years ago, but much may have changed since then.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
If you come to places like Ashburn, you will see nothing but kids and dog stuff in the backyard. You need to get out of the Beltway once in a while. There is more to NoVA.
beleive me I get outside the beltway quite a lot. Even to loudon once in a while. I am pretty sure I have been in neighborhoods outside the beltway in which there were no kids playing on the lawns, even on nice weekends.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
beleive me I get outside the beltway quite a lot. Even to loudon once in a while. I am pretty sure I have been in neighborhoods outside the beltway in which there were no kids playing on the lawns, even on nice weekends.
Pretty rare in Loudoun, I'd say. It's familyland out here, hence the complaints by singles and childless couples that everyone revolves around kids' activities and they can't relate or find friends.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM

153 posts, read 236,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Also, Herndon has a surprising number of good hole-in-the-wall restaurants. All sorts of ethnic specialties, and you find them in the most unexpected places. The best Thai restaurant in Nova (IMO) is Thai Luang in Herndon, and you have to look for it because it's hidden away in a commercial park.
Totally true about Thai Luang!

There are so many good and cheap Middle Eastern, Asian, Greek and South American restaurants of all kinds. Just don't look for them in Tysons or RTC - rents are too high, so it's either good or cheap (and more often than not - neither).

French though... it's always means overpriced.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvnova View Post
Totally true about Thai Luang!

There are so many good and cheap Middle Eastern, Asian, Greek and South American restaurants of all kinds. Just don't look for them in Tysons or RTC - rents are too high, so it's either good or cheap (and more often than not - neither).

French though... it's always means overpriced.
You know, I like the duck dishes at Thai Luang, but thought the other dishes were so so. Yet so many people seem to like the place. What am I missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia