U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Kudos to you, as we don't do Xbox, Playstation, Wii, Gameboy, any of that stuff in our house. I'm firm on that.

But as a former teacher, I have to point out that teachers are professionals. I always wonder if the homeschooling crowd performs their own surgery as well, or is their own defense in a large court case.
Seriously, are you comparing teaching grade school to doctoring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:16 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,670,321 times
Quote:
Kudos to you, as we don't do Xbox, Playstation, Wii, Gameboy, any of that stuff in our house. I'm firm on that.

But as a former teacher, I have to point out that teachers are professionals. I always wonder if the homeschooling crowd performs their own surgery as well, or is their own defense in a large court case.
So you are saying we SHOULDNT have home first aid kits? Or sign our own credit card chits, say?

BTW, when we homeschooled our D for that year (and correction, it was 8th grade, not 7th), we didnt teach her math ourselves. We signed up for distance learning from JHU CTY. I am pretty sure her teacher had as good a credential as her FCPS teacher the previous year did.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,750,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Seriously, are you comparing teaching grade school to doctoring?
And with that you have shown you don't know much about the realities of modern day education, at any level, at all.
But don't feel bad, most people don't know either. You have to actually be in the field to grasp just what education as a profession entails.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
II consider places like Morton's, Roy's, Ruth's Chris "okay," but not great. Are you ever wowed there? Do you feel like "wow, that was a GREAT meal. I'm coming back here tomorrow. In fact, I'm coming back here everday the rest of the week!"
Wow. Just wow.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
When you say "Italian," do you mean Tuscan? Because if I see yet another imitation Tuscan restaurant, I am really going to lose it.

Yeah, yeah, I know Sicilian and Neapolitan food is for peasants and all that, but I find it more earthy and authentic, real salt (or garlic) of the earth.
Sicilian and Neapolitan food is not to be taken lightly!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
So you are saying we SHOULDNT have home first aid kits? Or sign our own credit card chits, say?
Of course not.
But you teach your kids ABCs at home, right?
And you have a first aid kit.
Each is a very basic form of the larger picture. Let's use our heads, here.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
And with that you have shown you don't know much about the realities of modern day education, at any level, at all.
But don't feel bad, most people don't know either. You have to actually be in the field to grasp just what education entails.

My wife has subbed in a local private school, I was on the board at one time, we know lots of teachers (including some who have homeschooled their kids). Our kid went straight from homeschooling to TJ (there are other kids who homeschooled their k to 8 who went to TJ). Homeschoolers usually end up knowing A GREAT DEAL about education. We (not through homeschooling, but through necessity) ended up knowing far more about 2E kids than most teachers, and on more than one occasion have had to "teach" a teacher about them.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I know about homeschooling - we homeschooled our DD for 7th grade - however, again, I was not referring to YOU in particular. I was discussing society in general.

Good for you. You will find plenty of kids around here (and not only around here of course) who spend a lot time in front of electronic entertainment of one kind or another.
Me thinks you are missing a HUGE subset of families and communities here who lead very religiously traditional lives, homeschool and shield their kids from pop culture. Gosh, did you even know that LoCo hosts the hq of one of the largest home schooling networks? It's not just me. There is a large group of families in this region (NoVA) who do this, much more so than rural parts of the state (contrary to the denim attire stereotypes of homeschooling).
Quote:
All I am asking, ALL I am asking, is that the same respect be extended to say, french cafes, and the folks who like them (and I swear, Ive only been in such a place maybe 2x in the last 12 months - I actually eat asian much more often) as we extend to the green lawns.
I already stated 50 posts back that I don't have a problem with French bistros per se, but rather that the problem I have is this mentality:

"it seems amazing to me that there isn't more demand for the kind of place ordinary Europeans regard as part of their way of life." If the demand for French bistros is motivated by such sentiments, yes, I do consider that pretense, i.e. "Hey, look at me! I am sophisticated like a European! What won't the rest of the rube Americans demand the same?"
Quote:
Truce?
We're good. Never was anything bad between us. We are alumns after all!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Of course not.
But you teach your kids ABCs at home, right?
And you have a first aid kit.
Each is a very basic form of the larger picture. Let's use our heads, here.
the secret is, around here lots of parents homeschool anyway. After years of doing homework duty, including helping the kid find resources on line (cause her teacher didnt explain something well) we all know that. No I dont know how to do classroom management - but in homeschooling yuo dont have to.

The question is where do you stop having the parent be the teacher. We used JHU CTY for math and creative writing. social studies I taught (Im an econ major from a name school - and almost a poli sci minor, I trust myself more than most MS social studies teachers) my wife (an english major) did more english, field trips, etc She did chemistry from a college level workbook (and was just fine when she took Bio at TJ) and spanish from an old book I had (she took Japanese at TJ) I see no evidence she would have done better at Frost, and she would have been sleep deprived because of their crazy schedule, and she wouldnt have met the great homeschool kids - nor as many wonderful field trips, learning experiences,

Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
But don't feel bad, most people don't know either. You have to actually be in the field to grasp just what education as a profession entails.
You have NO CLUE what I know about what the education system is like in this country.

Why do you think I homeschool?

The fact that you compare teachers to physicians tells me you have delusions about teaching and know little about doctoring.

While, to paraphrase Wilde, I am not a cynic ("a man who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing"), there IS a reason why physicians get paid gobs more money than teachers. It isn't because we all love doctors more than our kids' teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia