U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Well, it's kinda hard to see what my "standard" is since you won't put up your empirical evidence, but only imply mystically that there is something out there. You know what you call people who won't share their data for peer review? Frauds.
Pffffft! The original question still on the table is why all the anti-chain bias? No answer to date. Just perfunctory smoke and mirrrors based on imaginations of the unique art and inspiration of a head chef. In fact, a head chef will have rarely cooked any portion of any "great" restaurant meal you ever had. Line cooks did that, and each of them -- at all of the one or more locations falling into a head chef's grand domain -- will have been trained (despite the supposed impossibility of this task) in how to prepare that meal's components by that great overseer and/or his trusted aides. Fry chef, sauté chef, grill chef, veggie chef, and perhaps even a roundsman will have made your meal. Sitting there under your napkin, you would have no idea who cooked it or whether any of them worked at a different location the week before. And you want to talk about fraud?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM

857 posts, read 1,000,764 times
Quote:
Shucks. This sub-topic began snarky. A little reminder:
Or The condescension was just too much. I spoke no English when I came to this country and was subsequently a double major at an Ivy League university (with two courses shy of a third major), finished a year early and then an ABD Ph.D. candidate. My wife has her doctorate.
to paraphrase kanye west

Yo IndiaLimaDelta, I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Alltheusernamesaretaken has the best screen name of all time.

sorry, but that was the first thing i thought of after i read your post. it was all so random...

but honestly, i don't think anybody was dissing you, or trying to outsnark you or anything. yet, even with what you mentioned in bold it still doesn't dispute the points alltheusernamesaretaken and brooklyndad mentioned re: education. public school is a whole nother battle (i taught grade school myself--this should def. be another topic)

Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
to paraphrase kanye west

Yo IndiaLimaDelta, I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Alltheusernamesaretaken has the best screen name of all time.

sorry, but that was the first thing i thought of after i read your post. it was all so random...

but honestly, i don't think anybody was dissing you, or trying to outsnark you or anything. yet, even with what you mentioned in bold it still doesn't dispute the points alltheusernamesaretaken and brooklyndad mentioned re: education. public school is a whole nother battle (i taught grade school myself--this should def. be another topic)
Here's one of the things my kids learned at both home and pre-school:

"Clean up, clean up, everybody clean up."

That's what I'm expecting and hoping the mods will do to this thread that once upon a time was about local French bistros and took some very strange turns.

Last edited by JD984; 04-28-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Pffffft! The original question still on the table is why all the anti-chain bias? No answer to date.
What are you talking about? Good grief, you sound like the North Korean People's Daily or Baghdad Bob. Ignore everyone else's queries and responses and just doggedly repeat the same inane statement. Both Brooklynborndad and I explained what gets lost with standardization. I did so AT LENGTH. I don't want to write a book on the subject, but I think I did at least an op-ed length reply.

Where is the answer to MY question directly to you? Name these great chain restaurants where one can eat, as YOU put it, "great food."

Name them.

You and I can go round and round expounding kitchen theories, but let's talk turkey and deal with the outcome. Actual, real restaurants and their food.

Name the chains where you found this "great food."

You are just dodging me by trying to shift the focus. I think everyone can see that. That's why a couple of them tried and at least gave me a name or two.

But you just disappear and then reappear 50 posts later with the same exact bunk.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Here's one of the things my kids learned at both home and pre-school:

"Clean up, clean up, everybody clean up."

That's what I'm expecting and hoping the mods will do to this thread that once upon a time was about local French bistros and took some very strange turns.
Actually I share much of the blame for this strange turn. I was baited and stupidly I took the bait and then some. Lesson learned. Mea maxima culpa.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,750,585 times
I wasn't baiting anyone and wasn't starting out snarky.
Tone is difficult to discern on a message board.
I'm not here to stir the pot. I can't speak for anyone else.

I appreciate the compliment on my username but wasn't even trying to be clever; I honestly couldn't come up w/ anything at the time.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I find Morton's boring... esp. compared to indie, old school steakhouses in NYC (e.g. Sparks).
Hasn't been the same since the shooting. You could do better at Wolfgang's or, what the heck...go across the river to Peter Luger's.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,750,585 times
I'm a little worried that there's such militant barking about pro-chains, anti-chains,
what's good, what's genuine, what's an unacceptable venue at which to enjoy your food, etc.

Sheesh, this is just a message board and our opinions on food are going to differ.
Right?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Is it appropriate to slip a political bit in there like that on an unrelated thread? Nah, I don't think so. Hope not to see it again on a non-politics board. Or I may have to whip my own political opinions out in response.
A bit touchy, I'd say. The reference was both topical given the day's events and a perfect parallel for the type of standards claimed that are illogically imagined and then defined at levels impossible of being met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
But for what it's worth, Brio is a chain (Italian restaurant) and I think it is absolutely delicious, and I have known genuine Italian food all my life.
Haven't had the pleasure. Spouse hates Italian. Recently acquired Sardinian in-laws are making some inroads, however. Maybe soon. How's their seafood?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
When you grow up eating real Sicilian/Neapolitan food in NYC (Brooklyn and Howard Beach in Queens) and Providence (Federal Hill), that chain wannbe Tuscan place ain't gonna cut it.
Ah, that classic NYC cuisine. Like a hot dog wrapped in baloney. Used to get that out at Coney Island as a kid. Those were the days.

Quote:
Yes, I am being provocative.
There are other words for it.

Quote:
And, yes, I am still waiting for Saganista's favorite chain.
Saganista is not the the one for whom the chain-factor has any meaning, but my favorite would likely be the one I have the most significant investment in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia