U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM

1,559 posts, read 3,186,611 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys, we had the FIOS guys come by today and I tentatively signed up for it.... We've had DISH since 2001....so it would be a real switch. The price is right for the FIOS....but I'm concerned about the DVR, and the user interface. Anybody had both and what do you all think? I have three days to cancel and am kind of second guessing my decision. My complaints about DISH is that it goes out because of weather, doesn't record our shows half the time, we've been through several receivers in the last few years due to them just dying....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,585,325 times
We chose dish because the price was so much better for the package we wanted. If the fios price had been drastically better, I would have probably gone with them. The only caveat I have is that the verizon guys have been real jerks to me every time I've called to inquire about service or costs (which I admit is all of 3 times, but still...) The dish people have been suuuuuuper helpful and nice all along.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM

560 posts, read 1,110,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Hey Guys, we had the FIOS guys come by today and I tentatively signed up for it.... We've had DISH since 2001....so it would be a real switch. The price is right for the FIOS....but I'm concerned about the DVR, and the user interface. Anybody had both and what do you all think? I have three days to cancel and am kind of second guessing my decision. My complaints about DISH is that it goes out because of weather, doesn't record our shows half the time, we've been through several receivers in the last few years due to them just dying....

I never had Dish, but (compared to Comcast) FIOS is excellent. The 1080 HD channels are incredible! Also, the internet is so much better than Comcast. Download one youtube video and the Comcast internet was out for the weekend. The Comcast excuse was something like "we have identified a service problem in your area" or something stupid like that.

When getting FIOS, I was really annoyed with Verizon because I didnít want the FIOS phone but they gave it to me anyway. Took forever to get ride of the FIOS phone. Also, dealing with Verizon customer service is really unpleasant. Multiple transfers and usually you have to start over with each new Verizon rep. Fortunately, I havenít had to contact Verizon since I got everything set up properly. I use a Tivo that I already had, so canít comment on the FIOS DVR.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 PM

298 posts, read 597,444 times
FIOS rocks. I can't compare it to Dish because I never had that, but I agree with Lucky★, the Internet and TV are terrific. I have phone, too, and I don't have any complaints. I have a friend who switched from Dish to FIOS and he has been pleased, but mainly because his old Internet was DSL, I think, which is like going from a horse & buggy to a rocketship. The FIOS DVR seems fine to me, but I don't know what the Dish DVR is like.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,186,611 times
I really am used to DISH since we've had it for 10 years....so I am just unsure. Is it true that the DVR is only 100GB? That is something I should have asked about and I will call about today. We actually have had pretty good service with Verizon. We do have FIOS for our Internet and phone (though admittedly some echo problems that have mysteriously gone away) so we would be switching our TV to them. Being sooooo used to DISH and knowing where each and every channel is because virtually all of them are in succession....whereas I looked at the additional Verizon lineup and it seems like their channels are a bit all over the place....

Old 04-14-2011, 03:37 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,159,419 times
We have Directv and then Verizon provides our phone and internet, I personally would not switch to FIOS, I have had nothing but trouble out of customer service with Verizon, which was pretty surprising to me, we have had Verizon wireless for probably 9 yr and never had an issue so I was counting on that kind of customer service when we went with Verizon, it seemed like after the first contact to set up the service, it is now next to impossible to get in contact with them, I always get the "due to heavy call volume" message, when my contract is over I am canceling Verizon.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 AM

389 posts, read 1,091,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
We have Directv and then Verizon provides our phone and internet, I personally would not switch to FIOS, I have had nothing but trouble out of customer service with Verizon, which was pretty surprising to me, we have had Verizon wireless for probably 9 yr and never had an issue so I was counting on that kind of customer service when we went with Verizon, it seemed like after the first contact to set up the service, it is now next to impossible to get in contact with them, I always get the "due to heavy call volume" message, when my contract is over I am canceling Verizon.

We only have internet and phone and we have so much trouble with verizon. We just use netflix and roku!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,159,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl367 View Post
We only have internet and phone and we have so much trouble with verizon. We just use netflix and roku!
Verizon drives me batty, I have never been so angry after trying to deal with their customer service, it took me 5 months to get an issue dealt with that was their mistake, never again. The only good thing out of it was the fact that I got $5 off my bill for a year because I was complaining so much. Now it is next to impossible to get in touch with customer service, hold time is normally about 20 to 30 minutes, ridiculous.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 AM

389 posts, read 1,091,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Verizon drives me batty, I have never been so angry after trying to deal with their customer service, it took me 5 months to get an issue dealt with that was their mistake, never again. The only good thing out of it was the fact that I got $5 off my bill for a year because I was complaining so much. Now it is next to impossible to get in touch with customer service, hold time is normally about 20 to 30 minutes, ridiculous.

oh i resisted the first time, but i can resist no longer

here it is brian regan on phone companies......i laughed so hard i cried when i saw this......we moved in in sept and i didn't have a phone line until NOVEMBER.....half the time it is full of static or dead.

YouTube - Brian Regan- Phones and Codes

Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 AM

63 posts, read 199,766 times
I have had FIOS since October and love it.

Just to chime in, internet is super fast, all the HD channels are great quality, not compressed like Comast. I had Comcast for 5 years before switching.

I havent' had the Dish so I can't compare. But to answer your question, some of the older DVRs did have smaller hard drives in them, but when I got the install done in October, they gave me a new DVR that had 500 MB. They are also rolling out an update in the next few months that will let you hook up an external ESATA hard drive to the cable box so you can add up to, I believe, 2 TB woth of storage. So I don't think you need to be too concerned with storage space. Price for an external drive of that size is around $100 or so. Not sure I will buy it right off the bat though. We record a lot of shows and only have filled the DVR up to about half way.

What I would recommend is have the FIOS installed, keep your DISH for a month, and give it a try. If you aren't happy with FIOS, cancel it and switch back to your Dish, but I think you will be happy with it. The fact the internet is so fast, we started watching more things on line, using Netflix on our TVs (our TVs are Samsung and Netflix is built into it). We also hook up the laptop through HDMI sometimes to watch Hulu or other episodes on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia