U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,711,160 times

Advertisements

this isnt a "where should I move to thread" its a "speculate about the near future changes to the shape of the metro area thread" and is inspired by some discussion in a DC forum thread of the relative appeal of condos in annandale and springfield. While some ideas are based on metro area wide trends, feel free to keep the discussion mostly centered on NoVa

It seems to me (as a good Ricardian) that the places where we see new condo development are the places where developers can get premium prices, based on the desirable aspects of those areas (relative to the price and availability of land with zoning that makes that possible).

Where I current see new developments of high rises(and midrises) is almost exclusively within walking distance of metro stations, or other areas that are both close in and walkable. I am thinking in NoVa of Crystal City/Pentagon City/PotomacYards and of the inner columbia Pike corridor mostly. And Dunn Loring. And some areas between Falls Church and the EFC metro. And Shirlingon. I am not aware of whats new in RTC and Tysons, and my impression is that the new development in Falls Church proper has slowed down. AFAICT the situation in DC and the MD suburbs is similar, but I wont list all those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
The biggest high rise development I've heard of in the pipeline is out near Dulles Airport. I think it's in Herndon (or it might be Chantilly). We had a thread on it about a month ago. As I recall it's supposed to be bigger than Reston Town Center.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM

BTW if you're older and interested in high rise condos out near Leesburg, the Wall Street Journal had an announcement today for an auction of some premier condos at Leisure World. It's almost on the Potomac, so those ones up on the tenth floor have killer views. I believe the auction is Sunday. Check WSJ for more info--look for a half page ad in the Fridays Journal Premier Real Estate section.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,059,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The biggest high rise development I've heard of in the pipeline is out near Dulles Airport. I think it's in Herndon (or it might be Chantilly). We had a thread on it about a month ago. As I recall it's supposed to be bigger than Reston Town Center.
Not Chantilly. I think they are considering Dulles around the intersection of Route 28 and Route 7. Chantilly is too close to the airport and flight patterns.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Not Chantilly. I think they are considering Dulles around the intersection of Route 28 and Route 7. Chantilly is too close to the airport and flight patterns.
I think you're right, because they were touting it as being within walking distance of a metro station. That would have to be the one in Herndon so the development would be in Herndon. I'm not sure if these qualify, though. As I recall, the taller apartment/condo buildings are 7-10 stories. Is that considered high rise?

Now I've got to find that link. I remember reading about it, but I can't remember the details.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM

267 posts, read 441,936 times
Great. Just what this area needs, more high density housing.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I think you're right, because they were touting it as being within walking distance of a metro station. That would have to be the one in Herndon so the development would be in Herndon. I'm not sure if these qualify, though. As I recall, the taller apartment/condo buildings are 7-10 stories. Is that considered high rise?

for the purposes of this discussion Id say it is.

That says to me, that either due to market demand, or due to where the zoning folks will allow mid to high rises (i suspect both) even a distant metro station, and one not yet completed at that, is a magnet for this form of development.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Great. Just what this area needs, more high density housing.

In the right places, yes. I think if you look at the prices for both new high density housing, and even for older high density housing, you will find there is a strong market for it (though, and this is part of my point, that market varies strongly with certain geographic factors - the county is looking at upzoning downtown annandale - I dont think thats going to result in any new building in a very long time). I think given job growth in the area, given changing tastes (esp but not only from young people) for less autocentric forms of development, its a natural development - what I am curious about is how and where the market will accommodate that demand.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

This particular development is going to attract a good number of people who need a temporary residence close to the airport, IMO. Corporations might buy condos to house employees out here for a month or so. CEOS who need a place to stay when they fly in to lobby congress. Etc. Those kind of residents often prefer high rises because they don't want to do lawn care.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 PM

219 posts, read 411,306 times
you must be thinking of the One Loudoun 'new urbanist' development plan:
Loudoun County Parkway | Loudoun County | One Loudoun

Reston also has several proposed highrise condo developments. I'm not sure how many now. One by the Oracle building, one to replace the Fairway apartments on North Shore, one to replace the Best Buy plaza. But there are more than that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or