U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,769 times

Advertisements

It’s been five months since they started our “renovation” in November 2010, and now we are left with poorly installed cabinets without door handles, not installed panel for the side of the cabinets, terribly looking unaligned cabinet doors, and a hole in the ceiling left from moving the chandelier. For whatever reason they did not use the nails included with the cabinets, but the ones they used were too long, they damaged the inside of the adjacent cabinets, and now the sharp ends stick out among the dishes.

It’s been weeks without any response from JJ&K Remodeling to our requests to finish the job. They don’t return our emails or voicemails.

Here are the facts:

Instead of putting tile in the bathroom, they put hardwood. They did not bother to check the statement of work, and John Powell, the owner, argued with us for as long as he could that hardwood would be better in the bathroom. Finally they reluctantly put the tile in the bathroom, but their mistake caused shortage of hardwood for the kitchen. They ended up putting some boards under kitchen cabinets instead of hardwood.

They did not take the bathroom cabinet’s measurements correctly. The cabinet turned out to be too wide, and they had to move the wall adjacent to coat closet. Since the tile on the floor was already done, they ended up putting some cracked leftover pieces of tile in the space where the wall used to be. Cracked tile – not what we wanted in our new bathroom.

The arrogant owner, John Powell, brought strangers into our house without asking us any permission. He did not expect me to be home. He said they were potential customers, but how rude is that – bringing strangers to my house to have them walk around, touch our stuff, and look in every corner.

They did a terrible job putting in the backsplash. Pieces were not aligned with each other, and it looked like a child did it. My husband made them re-do the backsplash three (3!) times, and it still does not look right.

They left us without working appliances and sinks for 8 days. Crazy for any family, but we had a baby and a toddler in the house.

They did not put our office furniture back for two weeks, because they said it was “heavy”. We had to beg them every single day to put it back, since we could not use our desktop computer for two weeks. If it’s too heavy for both of you, may be you could bring more guys to help.

Without any permission from us, they closed an air conditioning vent in the kitchen. We never received any explanation why. They just closed an HVAC pipe that they found when they removed a pantry wall, and now we have one fewer vent in the kitchen.

While we have a bathroom on the main floor, the contractors used every single one of the three bathrooms upstairs to do their “number 2”. That included them being in our bedrooms in dirty clothes and shoes, and using the kids bathroom. It stunk so bad after every use, I had to open windows in December. I had to put up a sign “Please don’t go upstairs”. Then the contractor urinated on our shed, I saw it in the window. That was disgusting to say the least.

The owner John Powell says he’d bring experienced contractors. Instead, his wife brings two guys from Bolivia – she drove them in her car, left them to do the work, and at the end of the day picked them up. John, the owner, said: don’t talk to them, they don’t speak English, call me if you need to say something to them. It took the Bolivian guys two full days to paint two half-walls and a ceiling. Suspicious guys that don’t drive – not the kind of contractors you want when you have small kids in the house.

They did not take all the bulk heavy garbage with them, and we spent half a day cleaning our garage.

I could add a few more things, but too tired of typing all this. (Like the wife of the owner repeatedly told us how much she hated our grey color for the kitchen walls, and that she did not like our choice of hardwood, which she dumped a bucket of water on to “clean” at the end).

We went for a lower price to do the renovation, and we’ve lost 5 months of quality life to all this mess, and it’s still not done. Now we need to find another contractor to finish the unfinished.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM

26,611 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Sorry to hear of your miserable experiences.....call the local tv station and ask for help.........our local station makes attempts to contact these types of jerks and sometimes they then come through with what they owe...and call the Better Business Bureau in your area too.....keep this from happening to others............you could maybe bring a civil suit but it is costly.

To complete the job, contact the Homebuilder's Assoc in your town or county or state. They have a list of approved builders and remodelers.....you deserve a good crew!!!

GOOD LUCK

quote=WestFallsChurch;18748547]It’s been five months since they started our “renovation” in November 2010it is expensive to do so.

, and now we are left with poorly installed cabinets without door handles, not installed panel for the side of the cabinets, terribly looking unaligned cabinet doors, and a hole in the ceiling left from moving the chandelier. For whatever reason they did not use the nails included with the cabinets, but the ones they used were too long, they damaged the inside of the adjacent cabinets, and now the sharp ends stick out among the dishes.

It’s been weeks without any response from JJ&K Remodeling to our requests to finish the job. They don’t return our emails or voicemails.

Here are the facts:

Instead of putting tile in the bathroom, they put hardwood. They did not bother to check the statement of work, and John Powell, the owner, argued with us for as long as he could that hardwood would be better in the bathroom. Finally they reluctantly put the tile in the bathroom, but their mistake caused shortage of hardwood for the kitchen. They ended up putting some boards under kitchen cabinets instead of hardwood.

They did not take the bathroom cabinet’s measurements correctly. The cabinet turned out to be too wide, and they had to move the wall adjacent to coat closet. Since the tile on the floor was already done, they ended up putting some cracked leftover pieces of tile in the space where the wall used to be. Cracked tile – not what we wanted in our new bathroom.

The arrogant owner, John Powell, brought strangers into our house without asking us any permission. He did not expect me to be home. He said they were potential customers, but how rude is that – bringing strangers to my house to have them walk around, touch our stuff, and look in every corner.

They did a terrible job putting in the backsplash. Pieces were not aligned with each other, and it looked like a child did it. My husband made them re-do the backsplash three (3!) times, and it still does not look right.

They left us without working appliances and sinks for 8 days. Crazy for any family, but we had a baby and a toddler in the house.

They did not put our office furniture back for two weeks, because they said it was “heavy”. We had to beg them every single day to put it back, since we could not use our desktop computer for two weeks. If it’s too heavy for both of you, may be you could bring more guys to help.

Without any permission from us, they closed an air conditioning vent in the kitchen. We never received any explanation why. They just closed an HVAC pipe that they found when they removed a pantry wall, and now we have one fewer vent in the kitchen.

While we have a bathroom on the main floor, the contractors used every single one of the three bathrooms upstairs to do their “number 2”. That included them being in our bedrooms in dirty clothes and shoes, and using the kids bathroom. It stunk so bad after every use, I had to open windows in December. I had to put up a sign “Please don’t go upstairs”. Then the contractor urinated on our shed, I saw it in the window. That was disgusting to say the least.

The owner John Powell says he’d bring experienced contractors. Instead, his wife brings two guys from Bolivia – she drove them in her car, left them to do the work, and at the end of the day picked them up. John, the owner, said: don’t talk to them, they don’t speak English, call me if you need to say something to them. It took the Bolivian guys two full days to paint two half-walls and a ceiling. Suspicious guys that don’t drive – not the kind of contractors you want when you have small kids in the house.

They did not take all the bulk heavy garbage with them, and we spent half a day cleaning our garage.

I could add a few more things, but too tired of typing all this. (Like the wife of the owner repeatedly told us how much she hated our grey color for the kitchen walls, and that she did not like our choice of hardwood, which she dumped a bucket of water on to “clean” at the end).

We went for a lower price to do the renovation, and we’ve lost 5 months of quality life to all this mess, and it’s still not done. Now we need to find another contractor to finish the unfinished.[/quote]

Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 PM

812 posts, read 1,102,542 times
Sorry to hear of this nightmare. Besides calling the local tv station, as the above poster suggests, I would also go onto every local consumer website you can find and repeat the story there. Be sure to include the name of the company and the owner every time you write so that when future potential customers run a Google search they get to see what a swindler this guy is. It would probably be worth joining Angie's List just to be able to post the story there.

Hope you can get the mess these clowns left you fixed and thereby get your life back. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 PM

493 posts, read 1,005,918 times
Are you within Fairfax County? (the "city of falls church" always confuses me!)
The county has a consumer protection division, and you can file a complaint. It tries to resolve issues.

And for the price of a stamp -- or a free e-mail -- why not send your problem to HGTV's "Holmes on Homes" -- where the show tries to fix what others screwed up. (A few years ago, one of the decorating shows -- I think it was "While You Were Out" -- did a room makeover in Arlington several years ago, and the "home selling" shows are frequently in the area, so you never know!)

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM

1,540 posts, read 3,981,830 times
Their site sure looks legit and they are a member of the BBB.. I would try giving them a call! So sorry to hear your story, from the looks of their site they seem to be a solid company with "experience" and satified customers (looking at the pictures, which might be fake!) It just goes to show you can believe everything you see.

JJK Remodeling | Northern Virginia | Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling, Painting Contractors, Home Improvement |Maryland, Washington DC, Northern Virginia

Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,769 times
Thank you, but it's not bad enough for "Holmes on Homes". It's about one day of work left for a professional contractor to patch the hole, do the door handles, align the doors, and glue the panel. They are a legit company with a lot of customers, it just took them too long - five months, and the quality is not high. In every conversation John would always emphasize how incredibly busy they are, like wait your turn, we'll get to you when we have time. His favorite phrase was "I'm doing you a favor".

We are in Fairfax County. We checked the BBB before we started with them, they had 3 closed complaints within the last 2 years, but we decided to give them a chance since the other contractors were way more expensive. You get what you paid for.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:07 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,743,937 times
Just out of curiosity, what fabulous bargain did they give you? It sounds like a pricey remodel, not a favor. Don't forget to go to Angieslist - I think they are popular there. I think you can leave a review without being a member. I actually dropped my membership at Angieslist after having a lousy experience with one of their top contractors. They really need more honest reviews.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,853,010 times
It's the luck of the draw.

I would be reluctant to keep going with a contractor who was always talking about "doing us a favor" and wasn't going to complete work in a timely manner.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 AM

7,964 posts, read 18,014,710 times
While your situation is certainly regrettable, discussing consumer complaints is not allowed per the Terms of Service. This thread will have to be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia