U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,612,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, the commute from Herndon and Reston is more or less the same as the commute from Cascades. It may be farther as a bird flies, but commute time is about the same.

We used to live in Herndon and it took my dh 35 minutes to get to work. It now takes him about 30 minutes.
Yep, I can see how Cascades in Eastern Loudoun might actually be a shorter commute to Tysons than Herndon, though probably not Reston. On the other hand, a place like Ashburn would surely be a longer commute to Tysons than Cascades, Herndon or Reston. And, given his specs, I think the OP will have more options in Fairfax than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM

298 posts, read 595,457 times
I've lived here too many years to say, but some of the place names I still don't really know, so I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but where is Cascades? Is that Sterling? If so, I find it difficult to believe it meets the commute time criteria, but depending on where BritCvS's office is in Tysons, I suppose it might.

To BritCvS, based on your criteria, my suggestion is to keep looking in Reston. I think Fairfax City, while nice, will typically take you at least 40 minutes from Tysons in the evenings, and likely more, depending on where in Tysons and where in Ffx. Also, keep in mind that if your maximum is $550K, you should look at houses listed for more than that, since many homes continue to sell for less than list. And you can expand your options and better your commute if you get over your distaste for 1950s homes for $500K.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,820,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
I've lived here too many years to say, but some of the place names I still don't really know, so I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but where is Cascades? Is that Sterling?
Yes, it's in the section of Sterling that's north of Rt. 7. IMO, the reason the commute is faster from Cascades is that the roads are more direct. Algonkian Parkway is 4-lane, it's a fairly quick drive since it has relatively few lights, and it's a straight shot to Rt. 7 (or down to the toll road).

Commute times from Reston can vary quite a bit.Some parts of Reston are also direct (RTC, for example, since it's right next to Fairfax County Parkway), but others have a lot of small, winding roads that can be fairly time consuming to travel before you get to a main road.

Since the OP already lives here, the best idea might be to time the commute from any home you're considering. Side streets can sometimes add an extra 5-10 minutes.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:50 AM

446 posts, read 999,455 times
Quote:
Yes, it's in the section of Sterling that's north of Rt. 7. IMO, the reason the commute is faster from Cascades is that the roads are more direct. Algonkian Parkway is 4-lane, it's a fairly quick drive since it has relatively few lights, and it's a straight shot to Rt. 7 (or down to the toll road).

Commute times from Reston can vary quite a bit.Some parts of Reston are also direct (RTC, for example, since it's right next to Fairfax County Parkway), but others have a lot of small, winding roads that can be fairly time consuming to travel before you get to a main road.

Since the OP already lives here, the best idea might be to time the commute from any home you're considering. Side streets can sometimes add an extra 5-10 minutes.
And, you can get this for the budget.........

Listing Details

Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Indeed, some folks might prefer a few side streets and not want to live right off a larger road like Algonkian in Sterling or Baron Cameron in Reston.

In general, I still think Reston generally offers a better commute (with more "Plan Bs" in case one road is tied up) to Tysons than Cascades, but it's always better to have a number of options.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:07 PM

That looks like a good house GCPA. I'm not sure where that one is, though, so it's possible it might have the side street issues that would add to the commute. Or maybe not--you'd have to test it to be sure. This one is near me, so I know the commute would be pretty similar to the one my dh has.

20496 MCGEES FERRY WAY, Potomac Falls, VA 20165

The other nice thing about being on (or next to) the direct roads is you'll get plowed first in a blizzrd. This one has that advantage, but is also one block off the main roads so you have a quiet road with not much traffic, and one that kids like to play on.

I hope I'm doing this link correctly (I'm never sure with the real estate links), but if not, google info on 20496 McGees Ferry Way.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Agreed. Indeed, some folks might prefer a few side streets and not want to live right off a larger road like Algonkian in Sterling or Baron Cameron in Reston.
Actually, there are very few houses right on Algonkian. It's mostly a wooded road. The side streets are what you want, and you would look for one with easy access to Algonkian. Everyone has different tastes, of course, but since we're discussing commuting issues, IMO it's a lot easier and faster to drive around Cascades than Reston (even though I LOVE the curving streets in Reston).

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Actually, there are very few houses right on Algonkian. It's mostly a wooded road. The side streets are what you want, and you would look for one with easy access to Algonkian. Everyone has different tastes, of course, but since we're discussing commuting issues, IMO it's a lot easier and faster to drive around Cascades than Reston (even though I LOVE the curving streets in Reston).
I said people might not want to live right "off" of a road like Algonkian, not that they might not want to live right "on" such a road. In other words, they actually might want to have to take turns on a few side streets off a main road before they reach their house.

Apart from the fact that the garage is so prominent, I really like that house on Trailwood in the Cascades area that another poster flagged. Here's another house in Reston within the OP's budget that might be of appeal to someone who likes contemporary houses (looks like the kitchen could use some work, though):

12140 QUORN LN, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,751,116 times
For Fairfax, someone mentioned Truro (actually, that might be in Annandale) - that's a great neighborhood. And I think the commute might be OK, since it's close to 495. Hard to find a place there, though - the nice ones go fast.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I said people might not want to live right "off" of a road like Algonkian, not that they might not want to live right "on" such a road. In other words, they actually might want to have to take turns on a few side streets off a main road before they reach their house.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry I read it wrong. My bad.

On the subject of taste, though, as much as I like Cascades it's not the same as Reston. Reston has a certain elan that I really like. Cascades is much more contemporary suburban and isn't everyone's cup of tea (even though I really like it). Just offering it as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or