U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times
we dont have panhandlers at the 7-11 near me - the day laborers keep them away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
FWIW, there are four 7-11's in the Alexandria area that my lady and I patronize from time to time: two on Route 1 (one by the Safeway, the other on a side road near the newer Wal-Mart), one in Old Town (the first/last stop on Route 1/Henry Street near the bridge) and one near the Braddock Road Metro. Of all of them, it's the "Safeway 7-11" which may have the occasional day laborers or general loiterers...and none of them have ever asked me for spare change.

That's certainly not to invalidate others' experiences shared here; my experience just has been different.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Of all of them, it's the "Safeway 7-11" which may have the occasional day laborers or general loiterers...and none of them have ever asked me for spare change.
That's been my experience, too. When I see people loitering they might make me feel a little uncomfortable but (so far, anyway) they leave me alone.

I had to laugh at the poster who talked about girl scouts. Yeah, I'm laughing.... but you know what it's true. It's those girl scouts who approach you and who can get downright aggressive with you.

Some of them get really loud and try to lay on the guilt trips if you walk by. I had one little charmer who yelled at me because I bought one box of cookies and apparently one box is an insult because the troop only gets 64 cents for each box they sell.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-25-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM

487 posts, read 1,209,088 times
In some cases the pan handler you gave that buck to this morning is making more take home money than you.
They are not necessarily homeless.
They are not interested in having a job.
In fact most Panhandlers think you are a chump for working.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,108,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
FWIW, there are four 7-11's in the Alexandria area that my lady and I patronize from time to time: two on Route 1 (one by the Safeway, the other on a side road near the newer Wal-Mart), one in Old Town (the first/last stop on Route 1/Henry Street near the bridge) and one near the Braddock Road Metro. Of all of them, it's the "Safeway 7-11" which may have the occasional day laborers or general loiterers...and none of them have ever asked me for spare change.

That's certainly not to invalidate others' experiences shared here; my experience just has been different.
There is a gentleman who stops there and I talked to him once, he told me he was a Vietnam veteran, and I bough him some food from McDonalds, and gave him some cash. He told me he was a diabetic and was sleeping outside the Rite-Aid. I called a shelter by Mount Vernon and tried to get him in, I actually offered to drive him there as long as he would assure me he did not have any weapons on him, I would drive him there myself because it was raining. But then I could not find him when I went back.

I just feel really bad because he told me he was a Diabetic and needed insuline and VA was not helping him much. I never saw him again.

A lot of people is suffering in this recession, we should help them instead of being so critical of panhandlers. And thank God we are not in that situation.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:57 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,794,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
In some cases the pan handler you gave that buck to this morning is making more take home money than you.
They are not necessarily homeless.
They are not interested in having a job.
In fact most Panhandlers think you are a chump for working.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM

This thread almost made me cry. I think there is a stereotype that people in DC is very cold and mean spirited. I personally do not believe homeless people are faking it.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
This thread almost made me cry. I think there is a stereotype that people in DC is very cold and mean spirited. I personally do not believe homeless people are faking it.
Sadly, some are. When I lived in California I worked in an office in Santa Monica with a window overlooking an alley. I used to see a group of homeless people begging on the the street, and then come into the alley to give money to a pimp. Or maybe a drug dealer? I'm not really sure who the guy was, but that money wasn't being used to buy a hungry guy a sandwich.

At the same time, there are also many people who really are homeless, and I'm sure a fair percentage of beggars are legit. I contribute to a soup kitchen run by my church, and sometimes I'll give out cards telling people how to get there. I don't give money to individuals because I can't tell who is legit, who is not, and who will spend it to get drunk.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,309 times
The only place in NoVA I've ever really run into panhandlers (as opposed to, well, especially aggressive day-laborers) is the food court at the Torpedo Gallery in Old Town Alex. (I biked there semi-regularly a couple summers ago, and the food court was a convenient place to relax and enjoy a cold beverage. ) There were a couple extremely loquacious Vietnam vets who seemed to live (well, not sleep, though, AFAIK) there. I suppose they might not technically count as 'panhandlers,' since they never specifically asked me for money (though I'm sure they'd have cheerfully taken it); they mostly seemed to be looking for someone who would listen to them complain/tell stories/whatever. And I'd provide a rapt ear for awhile, which seemed to please them.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Some people you can tell are real homeless. However DC is one of the most affluent areas in the Country and while I understand is not good for home values to have people begging on the street, I also believe as a society we can afford to be less cynical and more compassionate towards less fortunate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia