U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,497,023 times

Advertisements

I've noticed lately there's always a panhandler sitting in front of our local 7-Eleven. I rarely see one anywhere else around here except at some major road intersections. The store manager says he's complained to the Fairfax County police several times, the cops come and shew the panhandler away and shortly after another one appears and takes his place. Since I don't see them sitting in front of other establishments it almost seems like there's some jungle wisdom out there in the panhandling community that this is a particularly choice spot. Are panhandlers in front of 7-Elevens common elsewhere around here? Would it bother you if you constantly saw that at a store you or your family members frequented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,072,023 times
I hate 7-11s. Nothing but magnets for undesirables. I think the bums like them because contractors etc. are more likely to tolerate them and give money to them, versus patrons of supermarkets. Many (but not all) people who frequent 7-11 a lot are low-income; they like 7-11 because it's quicker to buy cigarettes, booze, and junk food there than at the supermarket. So they're more accustomed to homeless people asking for handouts.

We actually pulled an offer on a house last year mostly because we realized how close it was to a 7-11 around the corner. In that case, landscape laborers were using the street the house was on as a parking lot while eating their 7-11-acquired lunches inside their trucks. Nice.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM

559 posts, read 569,194 times
Having participated in the annual Potomac Watershed clean-up earlier this month, I can tell you that the local 7-11 in Reston is ground zero for trash -- the amount of garbage and litter increases exponentially the closer one gets to that retail outlet.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 PM

384 posts, read 562,826 times
Absolutely. I don't want to be hassled by people for money. They should enforce No Loitering. People hang out around CVS's and gas stations too looking for a handout as well. It is really freaky and sometimes scary!

I avoid those places or go with a family member if necessary. God help anyone who stands between me and my Slurpee.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM

9,395 posts, read 16,003,951 times
Some police departments do enforce the no loitering, at times, around the 7-Elevens. Once I was with one of my nephews who wanted a Slurpee when the police were handling an "incident" in the 7-Eleven parking lot. Well, he opted to change his mind about a Slurpee, and we went to Robeks. Now, they ask for Robeks, which makes me much happier as their "treat" is actually made from identifiable substances, like fruit, and part of the reason is the franchisee who owns the location near their house as she remembers them.

Their poor friend was so disappointed when they said they were going for Slurpees and went to Roebeks for a smoothie. He didn't know that the code word was still "Slurpee" when they meant smoothie.

I've never been hassled at a 7-Eleven, but some of them are magnets for congestion, trash, and some odd-looking characters, even in decent neighborhoods. It really does make one wonder if they live locally, or are just hanging out at the 7-Eleven. I like the store on P Street as there's no parking lot, so nowhere for people to congregate, though I still steer clear of Rose Park, at night, just in case that's where the odd people congregate near the Georgetown 7-Eleven.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 PM

942 posts, read 913,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I hate 7-11s. Nothing but magnets for undesirables. I think the bums like them because contractors etc. are more likely to tolerate them and give money to them, versus patrons of supermarkets. Many (but not all) people who frequent 7-11 a lot are low-income; they like 7-11 because it's quicker to buy cigarettes, booze, and junk food there than at the supermarket. So they're more accustomed to homeless people asking for handouts.

We actually pulled an offer on a house last year mostly because we realized how close it was to a 7-11 around the corner. In that case, landscape laborers were using the street the house was on as a parking lot while eating their 7-11-acquired lunches inside their trucks. Nice.
Jeez, tell us how you really feel. I don't typically go to gas station places though. Don't smoke, don't drink, and don't eat candy so unless I'm paying for gas inside I don't normally go in, but yes, one of the local 7'11's that's near a gas station does have people loitering out in front of it.

Also, it beats the hell out of girl scouts selling cookies outside of supermarkets. My niece is a scout, I buy my cookies from her, and don't get me started on the red cross or salvation army people at the holidays at supermarkets, can't remember but I always make it a point to donate to them but if you don't stop ringing that god damn bell I'm gonna shove it down your throat.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,179,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Having participated in the annual Potomac Watershed clean-up earlier this month, I can tell you that the local 7-11 in Reston is ground zero for trash -- the amount of garbage and litter increases exponentially the closer one gets to that retail outlet.
A high percentage of litter comes from the fast food chains. Generally, panhandling can be considered protected speech. Loitering is not protected.
I do know they had an ordinance in (the self-proclaimed free speech capital) Berkeley, against panhandling within a certain distance of an ATM. We have a problem with it in front of our 99 cents store--they must know something I don't--why the heck do they think we are shopping there to begin with. Also, had one of those Mexican ambulance driver guys in front with a collection cup--just what you want to see on Tax Day. I've seen some of the FDs in the medians around 7 Corners with their boots out--I was thinking that the 10 Billion +/- in property taxes should really cover that sort of thing.
Also, seen some kids in football uniforms collecting donations to go play in North Carolina---I support sports, but thought that was inappropriate, as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:16 AM

9,395 posts, read 16,003,951 times
The fire fighters actually do not collect for themselves, when they have the "Fill the Boot" campaigns, but for charitable pursuits. For example, the fire fighters will tie in with the MDA for Jerry's Kids during the telethon.

Fairfax Firefighter Lead The Nation in Collections in the Fill The Boot Campaign for MDA | VAFireNews.com - Fire & EMS News

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,497,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I've never been hassled at a 7-Eleven, but some of them are magnets for congestion, trash, and some odd-looking characters, even in decent neighborhoods.
Actually the 7-Eleven I'm talking about is very clean and never see any trash around there.

What mytifies me is that it's always a different panhandler. I'm more used to the ones in DC that have territories staked out. You actually get to know your panhandlers there. Here it's more of a one-night(day) stand. Do they rotate on some kind of schedule? Is there a panhandler dispatch somewhere telling these guys "hey, nobody's covering CAVA's 7-Eleven today, get someone over there right away"?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,072,023 times
Much as I hate being bothered by pandhandlers and don't want to live near them, I do feel horribly guilty when I see them. Some of them are just decent, hard-working, unlucky people who lost a job, lost their house, couldn't find another job, and need something to eat. And yet some will just use any money they get to buy drugs or alcohol.

This country is really going to have to start doing something to help homeless people--force those with mental health problems/addictions into mandatory treatment and then take the actual "down on their luck" solid citizens and teach them lucrative trades. There's a growing dearth of plumbers, masons, auto mechanics, and bus drivers. (And yet every 17-year-old thinks he has to go even the crappiest online college, racking up $100K in debt. But I digress.)

It's all gonna cost a lot--but if we do nothing, we can expect more panhandlers as the low-level jobs continue to dry up and housing gets more and more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia