U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 12,879 times

Advertisements

bmwguydc -> Thank you for the comments on springfield and kingstowne areas and best routes for transportation. I mentioned these areas to the Realtor I am working with so I am hoping she can line up some condos in this area. I will mention Cardinal Forest to her.

Right now she is mostly lining up condo's near the landmark mall. What is this area like? I see a lot of crime in this area but some perspective is always good.

Currently I have the following places lined up to call tomorrow/early this week for appointments ->

Belle Haven Towers
Beacon Hill Apartments + free month rent
Hillwood and Stoneridge
Lynbrook and MeadowCreek

Does anyone know anything about Beacon Hill Apartments? I realize this area is a bit below Belle Haven Towers but I was told Cherry Arms area is unsafe (which is roughly 2 miles below Beacon). I was wondering if this part of Rt.1 is much safer -- I do not see much crime reported in this area.

Thank you all for your time. I really appreciate it and maybe can buy you all some coffee when I move down =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 PM

10,827 posts, read 26,299,029 times
I knew someone who rented at Beacon Hill when they first moved to DC as they had to relocate quickly from out of state. They did not realize that they were not in Old Town, but along Route 1. That was strike one against the area, and then there were little things as it was an aged apartment complex where maintenance might not be as up-to-date as in a newer high-rise. The parking situation was also a complaint, as some buildings are clustered (IIRC) and are a bit away from the parking area.

At one point, I do know she had all of her dishes wrapped in plastic bags, or encased in plastic containers in the cabinets. Funny what you learn about a person when you're at the Container Store buying more air-tight storage containers. I did not ask the reason for this, but one can only assume that it's either because one is a germophobe, or there is something in the environment where the items are used/stored. I should add that I don't think she's a germophobe as I'm the one who has the travel bottles of hand sanitizer and/or wipes with me. LOL

I also think there was some plumbing issue, but that could happen in any complex, so I would not necessarily hold it against the complex, unless it was a recurrent problem that was not properly addressed.

I would actually look at the West End of Alexandria, including Landmark, before I would look to Beacon Hill, despite the convenience to the river, Mount Vernon trail, etc.

This is a newer unit in Cardinal Forest, from the 1970s, and it's a 2BR for $1400, but it might give you an idea of the neighborhood. 5778I REXFORD CT #5778I, SPRINGFIELD, VA 22152 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-CARDINAL+FOREST-SPRINGFIELD-VA-MRIS-FX7583813 - broken link)

These are 1BR units in the older section, and the unit is a bit smaller, for $1200.

5911 Prince James Dr Apt A Springfield VA - Home for Rent - MLS #FX7570734 - Realtor.com®

An Unaddressed Springfield, VA 22152 Home for Rent - MLS #FX7581434 - Realtor.com®

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,540,669 times
What about the area near the Mark Center? I lived right at Seminary/395 for a while, and it was a fairly simple commute to Old Town down King or Duke (better).

Possible apartment buildings:
-The Encore (where I lived--I liked it, might be above your price range)
-Willow Run at Mark Center
-Seminary Towers

Not sure if any include utilities. The Encore doesn't.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Seminary Towers unfortunately does not have any available before my work date (may 31st). The encore is indeed out of my price range.

I made an appointment at Belle Haven Towers for May 10th for one of their 655 Sq. Ft apartments.

How about Orleans Village? It is under the same management. I read terrible reviews about these complexes under the new management -- which makes me hesitant to check these out.

If you have any other suggestions/input please feel free! I will probably still make an appointment to some more of these if I can.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM

10,827 posts, read 26,299,029 times
Orleans Village is in a funny area. It's Lincolnia, and the demographics vary pretty widely from upper middle class in some of the newer single-family homes and townhouses on down. It's an older garden complex, and can be a challenge to head east on 236 by making a left turn at certain times of the day, despite the light at Beauregard Street. I think there is a back way out of the complex to Lincolnia Road, but Lincolnia where it meets Beauregard and then 236 is a notoriously congested intersection.

Have you looked at Hunters Point in Alexandria, on S Washington street just beyond the Wilson Bridge? It's convenient for your office location, and is right on the Potomac River. The compelx went through some issues with the construction of the new WW Bridge in recent years, but looks to be somewhat back to normal, at least from the street. The 1BRs should be in your preferred price range. They're priced a little lower than Old Town proper because they're on the fringe of OT, and not near the Metro like Huntington.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,204,206 times
ka0s check your messages, I have something that might interest you

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I made an appointment at Hunting Point

Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 PM

I found two condos for rent near the landmark mall area that I am checking out as well as an apartment in falls church. I will let you all know how things go this weekend. all of them seem like quite safe locations compared to some of my earlier choices.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,420 times
Default Response-Where to live?

I would recommend you try Old Town Alexandria. I would recommend you stay away from the Oxon Hill (Indian Head) area which I belive is Maryland side. Old Town is accross the other side of Potomac River and it's very nice here. I do know someone who is renting out a condo in your price range. in the condo unit called River Towers which is in VA, (off Georgewashington Pkwy/S. Washington St). It's very expensive to live in Metro DC area. I had to adjust the price range when I moved from Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or