U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,520,914 times

Advertisements

Most of them can't generate enough income to cover expenses in close-in suburbs. Most fast-food outlets in other parts of the country, where land is much cheaper, are in stand-alone buildings. Here, the only chance they might have of profitability is if they are located on the ground floor of a multi-story commercial building.

There was a Taco Bell in Clarendon several years ago that went under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 05:42 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
What I wish we could find around here, as far as Mexican food, are those 24 hour Taco shops they have all around the San Diego area. You know, they usually have names like Albertos, Robertos, Norbertos... They usually look a bit grungy, but are huge portions for cheap prices and taste soooooo good at 1 am!
I think you need some folks from Mexico to run and patronize those. Unfortunately, for this former Californian, there are very few of them in this area.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 PM

493 posts, read 1,007,899 times
I wouldn't want to see more of the type of fast-food places we have, but I would want to see something a step up serving better food, fresh food. Real estate prices just don't mesh well with some restaurant ideas.

I'm never in D.C. when those great-sounding food trucks are out; it'd be interesting to come across some of those in N.Va.

The line at KFC/Taco Bell in Kingstowne? Out the door because they have only about a dozen tables. A few doors down, Burger King has a lot of seating but fewer customers, from my impression (sometimes I'll take my KFC or Taco Bell to BK, order a beverage there and eat there.)

A great place I recently discovered: Firehouse Subs, at the Kingstowne location (next to the movie theater). Tried a different location; wasn't as good for some reason. A huge jump up from Subway, and the wait is not long.

Would love to see more quality Mexican places, too; people laugh at me because truthfully Taco Bell is the only "Mexican" I've ever had!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:32 PM

290 posts, read 462,161 times
Fast food is no more unhealthy than most meals at most sit-down restaurants. Calories are calories. Fast food is just nice for those of us who are busy, work long hours, single, and would love to be able to pick something up on the way home when we don't feel like cooking. And places where you don't have to have to call ahead your order. And fast food does not have to equal bad food. Panda Express is great, so I hope more of them open. Not everything at Sbarro is bad. Chicken sandwiches at fast food restaurants are relatively healthy.

But yes, I'm from the midwest where land is cheaper. But even still, I'd think the sheer volume of customers you could get here would still make it a profitable business. And I'm not even talking about high price areas. How about Duke Street, or Little River Turnpike. Rte 1 in Alexandria. Just tons of areas that are not trendy and are full of strip malls.

The other thing that's weird here is that outside of Five Guys, there are no unique chains to the DC area. When I visited Greensboro, NC, there was a strip of road with TONS of fast food chains (many chicken places) that I had never heard of before. They appeared to be chains down there. So many options.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
The other thing that's weird here is that outside of Five Guys, there are no unique chains to the DC area. When I visited Greensboro, NC, there was a strip of road with TONS of fast food chains (many chicken places) that I had never heard of before. They appeared to be chains down there. So many options.
How about Checkers?

You should move nearer Route 1. We've got plenty of fast food along there. In fact a new Taco Bell just opened. I'll trade you all of them for your Bonefish Grill there in Kingstowne.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 PM

100 posts, read 187,772 times
All I want is Sonic.

I am pleased, though, that McAlister's is coming to the area. I ate at one in the Midwest and enjoyed it.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
....The other thing that's weird here is that outside of Five Guys, there are no unique chains to the DC area. When I visited Greensboro, NC, there was a strip of road with TONS of fast food chains (many chicken places) that I had never heard of before. They appeared to be chains down there. So many options.

Roy Rogers was local (Marriott) and I miss the place! Mmmmm...Double R Burgers and real roast beef sammiches! I think Marriott sold them to Hardees which converted them to Hardees, and not long later they pulled out of here...most of them are McDonald's now. I'm aware that somebody is operating a few joints named Roy Rogers, but I've never been to one.

So many have come and gone....the Domino's across from the Annandale firehouse was a Carroll's Drive-In. The Jerry's on 236 was a Burger Chef. The Burger King on Columbia Pike was a Topp's Drive-in and then a Geno's. The Popeye's on 236 was a Jack-in-the Box in the 60's.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,097,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'm aware that somebody is operating a few joints named Roy Rogers, but I've never been to one.
Interestingly, there's one in Kingstowne (one of the places the OP said needed more and more unique fast food places).

Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,097,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How about Checkers?
Not really a local chain- plenty of them in Philly and NJ.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 PM

384 posts, read 899,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
When I was a kid Western Sizzlin and Ponderosa Steakhouses were all over the local area. Now the closest Sizzlin is in Charlottesville and the closest Ponderosa is in Chambersburg PA. What happened? I guess there's Outback but that just doesn't hit the same spot for me.
There is a Ponderosa in Ashland, VA off I-95!

I personally would really like to have a Wawa in the Alexandria-Arlington area. I really like their coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia