U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM

110 posts, read 254,042 times

Advertisements

My realtor has me setup to receive the MLS (rental) properties for Reston. I noticed that I am also seeing some Herndon addresses. Are these two close together? Is the commute really that much more from say Reston to the Pentagon versus Herndon to the Pentagon via public transportation?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
They're next to each other. Both are large communities with a variety of neighborhoods. You sometimes see them grouped together and called Reston/Herndon.

I'm not sure about public transportation, but I think commute times would be about the same. Both have large Park-N-Ride areas for buses right now, and both will be getting metro stations in the next few years.

Herndon is a town and has city taxes. Herndon was built first, so it's possible to find historic homes there (but not a lot of them). Reston once had a reputation for being artsier but I'm not sure if that's still true. Reston is an HOA and has HOA fees.

These photo tours might help you:

Herndon

Reston-South Lakes

Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne

Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM

110 posts, read 254,042 times
Great! Thanks! I had not seen the photo tour of Herndon before.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
Reston has a Pentagon Express bus (Rt. 595). Herndon may have one, as well. That might be a good thing to google.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM

198 posts, read 310,603 times
There are some areas, particularly near the north part of Reston and near Fairfax County Parkway (as an example, part of the area bounded by Wiehle and Rte 7 and Fairfax County Parkway and Reston Ave) that I had always thought were north Reston but actually have a Herndon zip code (20170). There are some very nice neighborhoods in this area, too. We recently moved from a townhouse in Reston to a single family home. If we had excluded Herndon zip codes from our search for a Reston area property, we would have missed out on the house that we ended up buying. Our zip code is Herndon, but I usually still say that I live in Reston simply because I'm closer to the conveniences of Reston (grocery, dry cleaner, day care, etc.) and spend most of my time in that area.

Having said that, there are some areas of Herndon that aren't especially close to the main part of Reston which probably won't meet your requirements. I would suggest that you should still look at the Herndon listings and check the map to see the specific location. There are two or three really nice neighborhoods off Reston Avenue behind the 7-11 on Rte 7. One is Caris Glenne. I can't think of the names of the others - these have a Herndon zip, and some very nice houses. (That's not where I live, but we looked at several in this area.) I think some might even be zoned to Langley HS which certainly has a different reputation than Herndon HS.

Anyhow - in my opinion, you should at least take a look at the listings, even if they are not ultimately what works best for your family. Hope you find the perfect home!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,593 times
Also be aware that like other towns in Fairfax County, there's a Town of Herndon, and there's a vast amount of area that's considered Herndon and has a Herndon mailing address, but isn't in the town limits. The latter includes everything south of the Toll Road. Here's a map of the town limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia