U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM

561 posts, read 1,291,940 times

Advertisements

I just renewed my vehicle registration for 2 years (online), and the VA DMV sent my new registration, but didn't send me any new tags. My current tags are April 2011, and those will expire in just a few days. Am I missing something? Does VA mail the new tags separately from the registration card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,369,573 times
No new plates, but there should have been little date-stickers reading 2013 on them attached to the new registration that you would have then pasted over the existing 2011 stickers on the current plates. If you didn't get those, head on down to the DMV or at least to their website to find out what to do next.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,385,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No new plates, but there should have been little date-stickers reading 2013 on them attached to the new registration that you would have then pasted over the existing 2011 stickers on the current plates.
This is correct. The stickers have always been stapled to the registration card on mine. Someone at the DMV made a mistake.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:24 PM

628 posts, read 1,726,358 times
Boy, how are you going to prove that? My stickers always come stapled to the new registration, which is probably SOP. If you can show no staple holes in your registration, they might believe you.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,128,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
Boy, how are you going to prove that? My stickers always come stapled to the new registration, which is probably SOP. If you can show no staple holes in your registration, they might believe you.
I don't think it's too hard to get new ones.

Something happened last year on my daughter's tag and the sticker fell off. I contacted the DMV by phone, paid a dollar, and they sent me a replacement. No big deal.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 PM

561 posts, read 1,291,940 times
Quote:
Fortunately I didn't have to do any convincing. A very nice gal at the DMV call center had them reissued without any argument. It was nice not having to go to the DMV with "no staple holes" evidence. How unexpectedly pleasant to get a helpful DMV person!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,181,508 times
Are you positve you called the DMV here in Virginia? You said they were pleasant and helpful? Somehow I'd believe you didn't get the stickers....but not that DMV rectified it 'just like that'. Actually....I've had some pleasant experiences with DMV as well...

Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,696,645 times
Along the same vein, my husband wasn't paying attention when he put the stickers on last week. He put the sticker over the month (which they don't resend you) instead of the year. They do not peel off...

I switched the plates, having the one with the mistake on the front. Do you think they will resend me a month sticker? W/O having to go there?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,887,918 times
Quote:

Registrations that are renewed in person at a DMV branch office have the decals stapled to the registration card.

Registrations that are renewed at DMV's Richmond HQ via online or mail (the vast majority) have the decals stuck onto the registration card by a machine using adhesive.

In other words, staple holes mean nothing.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,510 times
I have not received my notice for renewal For my auto,. can I renew on line.my personal tax was paid in july.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or