U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,251 times

Advertisements

Im most likely getting offered a job in springfield and the hours are flexible. If i worked a shift like 10:30am-6:30pm how bad would the traffic be? My commute now is 30 minutes so im not sure how ill handle anything longer in that traffic but the money would be good. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM

518 posts, read 782,270 times
If the money is that good you might want to consider moving to be honest. You will be commuting through one of the most irksome commuting areas, the Tyson's area of 495. You are looking at over an hour in ideal conditions. I don't think I have ever seen ideal commuting conditions along that route ever. That along with when you will be commuting means possible 2+ hour commutes.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM

628 posts, read 1,723,425 times
I-270 and I-495! Good luck! I hope they doubled your salary; otherwise it can't be worth it to make that commute.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 AM

519 posts, read 810,423 times
Like the one poster said, if it's that big a salary increase, move to the Springfield area. Get yourself a really small commute and make more money. If it's not worth it to move then it's not worth it to take the job. The only way you'd have even an hour commute would be if you started work at like 6am and left work at about 7pm. Of course that's a really long day... If they're really flexible, maybe you could do that 3 days / week and have off the other 2, or only go into the office 2x per week and work from home the other 3 days.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 AM

594 posts, read 853,523 times
Could you rent a room in Springfield for the week nights?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
That's about 60 miles each way, but if you go in mid-morning and come home in the evening, the traffic will not be very much of a factor most days. You probably can do it in only a little over an hour, and it's actually a nice drive if you like to drive. On the other hand, it's likely three gallons of gas each way, so that's like $25 a day just for fuel times 240 workdays per year eats up $6,000 of that raise right off the top.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That's about 60 miles each way, but if you go in mid-morning and come home in the evening, the traffic will not be very much of a factor most days. You probably can do it in only a little over an hour, and it's actually a nice drive if you like to drive. On the other hand, it's likely three gallons of gas each way, so that's like $25 a day just for fuel times 240 workdays per year eats up $6,000 of that raise right off the top.

Thanks for the feed back folks. Do you really think the traffic will be that bad if im leaving Frederick around 9am? By the time i would get to 495 i would think most commuters would be in the office and the roads would be much better. If the employer told me i would need to work typical 8-5 hours i wouldnt even think about this opportunity but since they said i can come in later im hoping its doable. At this point in the game i dont want to relocate. I would rather try to convince the employer to allow me to work from home a day or 2 per week.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
In my experience, it is still very much rush hour at 9 am, even at 9:30 am in some places. I used to drop my child off at preschool at 9:30 am and then hop on I-66 to drive up to Rockville, and it was 9 out of 10 times still backed up from Nutley to the Beltway. And once I got up to Rockville, if I recall correctly, 270 South was sometimes still backed up. This is going back about 4-5 years, but I cannot imagine that it has improved. Frederick to Springfield sounds like a horrendous commute, imho.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:07 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Nobody can see everything. We can only report what we have experienced. My experience is from having had a client in Rockville for several years. As appropriate, I'd drive up there a morning or two a month, talk for a while, then drive back into NoVa. Usually that would be in the 10:00 to 10:30 range, and I rarely had any problems. That project was done almost a year ago now, so I don't do it anymore. One eye that's always open of course is the various traffic cams that operate on I-270. You can see the Montgomery County ones HERE. Maybe check them out at key hours to see how the ebb and flow work out as the morning and evening progress.

All in all, I think if you hit the Metro area around 10:00 and don't try to leave again until 7:00, most days you should be able to make the trip at or near a speed limit pace and something not much more than an hour each way. The question would be whether that's all workable and affordable under the circumstances.

Highly endorse telework, by the way, if it fits the work you do. I do about 50% from home now, and I would not be nearly so productive or satisfied without it. It's a wonderful tool in the right circumstances.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 19,853,706 times
270 can, and does, get backed up as late as 11am. You're going to hit traffic several times a week. It does NOT clear up at 9 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia