U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM

882 posts, read 1,781,027 times

Advertisements

So factual information = "more biased"? When did I refer to others in disparaging terms?
TE is insulting and inaccurate - and has been called out on other forums.

Yes, we'll do fine (I'm not XOM), but recall the major boost to western 1/2 of the County w/Mobil's arrival - this will be the polar opposite, and to deny that is simply delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,653,867 times
Fairfax was also a lot different back then, that can't be denied either. To say that 2600 people leaving will be like when we first landed a full Mobile corporation is also delusional in my opinion. This is not going to make or break our economy, and its different when it is an actual corporate headquarters vs a headquarters branch tax wise.

2600 people out of 1 million in fairfax alone, is simply just a small piece of the over all pie. If SAIC or Booz Allen or Freddie Mac or Capital One or...... leave then wake me up, because those companies actually have multi-thousands of people in this county and pay taxes to the state of Virginia.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,640,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
So factual information = "more biased"? When did I refer to others in disparaging terms?
TE is insulting and inaccurate - and has been called out on other forums.

Yes, we'll do fine (I'm not XOM), but recall the major boost to western 1/2 of the County w/Mobil's arrival - this will be the polar opposite, and to deny that is simply delusional.
Sorry - didn't mean to suggest that you referred to others in disparaging terms.

What I was taking issue with was the notion that temporarily increasing the housing supply in an area where people routinely complain they can't afford the housing (and that there is limited inventory) would be an economic calamity.

You know, Congress wants to shut down Fannie Mae at some point, but if the HQ on upper Wisconsin gets turned into one big nursing home upper NW will still survive, too.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,710,285 times
It appears that everyone is assuming that just because the fuction is moving to Texas, that means all of the people will move to Texas, as well. That just isn't so. I can't speak to XOM, but I can't imagine they are going to pay to relocate everyone. For those that are offered jobs in Texas, it is possible they are at a lower salary to be more in line with the regional salaries. Maybe some don't want to uproot their families? Maybe the spouse's job can't relocate?

For these, and many more reasons, I imagine a lot of the actual people will stay in this region.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM

No one's claiming that all 2600+ employees + their families will leave in one day, but the reality is that XOM is, like Mobil before it, a very profitable firm for a large number of people. Those families spend a great deal of money, especially in the western 1/2 of the county - this will have a serious impact on a number of levels - services, food, recreation, and more. As others have correctly pointed out, the number of large scale mature enterprises looking to move into the area is rather small, and replacing those jobs with lower pay or moving around already existing Federal employees reaps little benefit.
It will be difficult for those who stay to match income & benefit levels w/other businesses.

Oh, and TE - you listed a GSE & a Delware company of Record. Try again, m'k?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM

Fortune 500 List

m'k

Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM

https://delecorp.delaware.gov/tin/controller

Entity Details THIS IS NOT A STATEMENT OF GOOD STANDING
File Number:[/url]4014717Incorporation Date / Formation Date:[/url]08/12/2005
(mm/dd/yyyy)
Entity Name:[/url]SAIC, INC.Entity Kind:[/url]CORPORATION
Entity Type:[/url]GENERAL
Residency:[/url]DOMESTIC
State:DE

Now why would one incorporate in DE? The weather?
So what is your basis for such hatred for thousands of your fellow Virginians?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM

63 posts, read 145,375 times
I think TE was saying the XOM offices in NoVa are centralized support functionality (as opposed to manufacturing facilities) and thus are not revenue streams for XOM and thus are not substantial tax revenue sources for the state of VA, aside from the income tax paid by the employees.

Also, I think he is saying that an oil company is a little out-of-place for NoVa and thus doesn't have any longterm growth potential for the local economy. I agree this is true, but I'd also argue that aside from the obvious government source, what intrinsic value does NoVa offer to a company? In other words, what sort of company would qualify as "better than XOM" from a longterm growth perspective versus just having the existing few thousand professional jobs that XOM provides?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Fair, those are valid points Cluckr7, and in the foreseeable future I dont think there are any big ones out there that FFX can go after necessarily. But are there a few firms or companies that also have a couple thousand employees that might not be fortune 500s, that this area could add. I am sure there are. We have a huge high tech industry of computer engineers in this area, and a well educated populous in general. We should be bigger players than just IT consultants in the world of technology.

I think more importantly this area needs to get off the easy money of federal contracts and some entrepreneurs need to start thinking of what this area has to offer other than proximity to DC.

It is central located on the east coast freight corridor making it a decent choice for some manufacturing, it has the added benefit of cheap shipping rates from Norfolk. Again the well educated populous (even better than the Palo Alto region as a whole if viewed as the county of Santa Clara), we have several good locations for research facilities including Route 28 corridor.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluckr7 View Post
I think TE was saying the XOM offices in NoVa are centralized support functionality (as opposed to manufacturing facilities) and thus are not revenue streams for XOM and thus are not substantial tax revenue sources for the state of VA, aside from the income tax paid by the employees.

Also, I think he is saying that an oil company is a little out-of-place for NoVa and thus doesn't have any longterm growth potential for the local economy. I agree this is true, but I'd also argue that aside from the obvious government source, what intrinsic value does NoVa offer to a company? In other words, what sort of company would qualify as "better than XOM" from a longterm growth perspective versus just having the existing few thousand professional jobs that XOM provides?
And neither are firms w/HQ here but incorporated in Delaware. FWIW, most of the F500 use Del. or Nevada to avoid taxes. Renders that line rather moot.

Why would an Energy company be so out of place? We're on the East Coast, closer to Atlantic sources & markets, making it an excellent site for energy trading and speculation (which is becoming a greater % of XOM's business) and generates a great deal of IT ifrastructure work - something we need more of, not less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia