U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,659,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
LOL! Next, you'll threaten to put me on your Ignore List. Or did you just do that?
I agree with previous poster, this is just an internet pissing match at this point. I do think it's funny you previously took a jab at Jayess for using @ instead of typing 'at' to try to be hip, but you use LOL in your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,386,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Oh, oh... I missed the Delaware questions. I am originally from Delaware They tells us the "why" of this in school. There are two reasons why corporations incorporate in Delaware. 1) Lower taxes -- I am not sure if companies can "not" pay other state taxes if they do business in those states...
No, laws passed in Delaware do not trump laws passed in Idaho with respect to Idaho tax liability. They should have taught you that part as well.

Quote:
...but in Delaware there is no corporate income tax for corporations so long as they don't do business in Delaware. Also, shares of stock in Delaware corporations are not subject to Delaware taxes if the owner lives outside the state. 2) The court system favors corporations if they are sued (there is a separate court system for businesses).
Yes, both the rules and the courts that enforce them tend to be quite business friendly in Delaware. Good for Delaware, maybe not quite so much for the rest of us.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I agree with previous poster, this is just an internet pissing match at this point. I do think it's funny you previously took a jab at Jayess for using @ instead of typing 'at' to try to be hip, but you use LOL in your posts.
It's a free country. You can agree with whomever you'd like. Facts don't need to matter. Speaking of which, it's a fact that "at" is two characters, while "@" is one. "Laughing out loud" is meanwhile seventeen characters (spaces included) where "LOL" is three. I might eventually use USA also. Like LOL, it actually accomplishes abbreviation, where "@" shortens nothing at all if you take the Shift key into account. I certainly suspect that the use of "@" in this case was a mere hipster affectation, which is why I questioned it.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,659,469 times
Quote:
It's a free country. You can agree with whomever you'd like. Facts don't need to matter. Speaking of which, it's a fact that "at" is two characters, while "@" is one. "Laughing out loud" is meanwhile seventeen characters (spaces included) where "LOL" is three. I might eventually use USA also. Like LOL, it actually accomplishes abbreviation, where "@" shortens nothing at all if you take the Shift key into account. I certainly suspect that the use of "@" in this case was a mere hipster affectation, which is why I questioned it.
Also funny you're counting key strokes to try to justify your criticizing others use of abbreviations, yet how much time did you waste typing all that?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM

5,121 posts, read 5,563,874 times
Quote:
No, laws passed in Delaware do not trump laws passed in Idaho with respect to Idaho tax liability. They should have taught you that part as well.
I think you misread what I wrote. I never said Delaware laws trump another state's. All I said was that I am "NOT SURE" that other companies can avoid paying taxes (all together). There are just so many loopholes so I can't say for sure. So in essence, I agreed with you.

What I do know is there is no corporate income tax in Delaware and the overall effect... even when/if they pay taxes to other states is that Delaware incorporated companies pay LESS Taxes than if they were incorporated elsewhere (I never said they pay "no taxes). Delaware is a tax haven and corporations pay less taxes by incorporating there.

Let's put it this way, if it's not a tax haven, then way would countries like Switzerland and the Cayman Islands complain that Delaware is? this article might shed some light: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/30/bu...0delaware.html.

Here's something that sums it up:
Quote:
North Orange, a ho-hum thoroughfare in Wilmington, Del., is, on paper, home to more than 6,500 companies. Many of them are empty shells. They make nothing and sometimes employ just a lone clerk. But all are there for the same reason: to help corporations avoid paying taxes in other states.

The Obama administration has riled corporate America by cracking down on secretive offshore tax havens. But now a big onshore refuge — Delaware — is drawing scrutiny, too.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM

882 posts, read 1,781,687 times
Quote:
This is from Post-40...

FWIW, most of the F500 use Del. or Nevada to avoid taxes.

Did you write that? Is it false or misleading?
Yes, I wrote it, and yes, it's accurate.

(heh)

BTW, you're the one continually introducing new asides, not me. As to the tax issue, of course an Idaho company would be liable per Idaho law - just as Delaware companies are liable under Delaware law. You, as of yet, refuse to believe reality - and no, I'm not threatning anything nor anyone. Are you?

Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM

8,658 posts, read 16,850,852 times
This is pretty easy to look up on the Web and you can see where they are incorporated at:
Exxon Mobil Corporation Certificate of Incorporation

Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Let's put it this way, if it's not a tax haven, then way would countries like Switzerland and the Cayman Islands complain that Delaware is? this article might shed some light...
Wasn't meaning to disagree in particular with anything you said, just to clarify and dispel any then-extant notion that anything you said supported the false and misleading statements of others.

As the 2009 NYT article points out, companies have been increasingly using Delaware law to create paper-only companies that serve as players in what are essentially money-laundering schemes. These schemes operate to the potential detriment of any state, be it Virginia or Texas. They are not relevant to the pending move of Exxon Mobil's Fairfax offices.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
This is pretty easy to look up on the Web and you can see where they are incorporated at:
Turn back the clock...

ExxonMobil >>> Exxon >>> Esso/Enco/Humble] >>> Standard Oil of New Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia