Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:57 PM

222 posts, read 720,163 times

Advertisements

I'm from Houston and the current rumor is that the offices in Fairfax will be relocating to Houston and they are building a huge campus in North Houston to accomodate several offices from Houston Area and Fairfax. How many ExxonMobil employees are in Fairfax and do they discuss it there as much as it is discussed in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 04:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I believe they have about 2,500 or so employees in the DC metro area.

I haven't heard too much about this (I believe they are still studying the situation) but what I've heard is this would be a win-win situation, because the DIA really wants their wooded 118-acre campus in Fairfax. It was owned by Mobil when the company was acquired by Exxon in 1999 and really isn't needed by them anymore. They held onto it as an investment, but to me it makes sense for Exxon-Mobil to let go of it.

They need to consolidate a lot of the properties that came as part of the merger, and (more importantly) the DIA will probably give them a nice deal for it. The DIA requires security setbacks that the Exxon campus would easily meet, and they also need to be within three miles of a Metro station (this campus is 1.5 miles from the Dunn Loring-Merrifield station). The intersection of the Beltway and Route 50 is an ideal location for them, too.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
I'm from Houston and the current rumor is that the offices in Fairfax will be relocating to Houston and they are building a huge campus in North Houston to accomodate several offices from Houston Area and Fairfax. How many ExxonMobil employees are in Fairfax and do they discuss it there as much as it is discussed in Houston?

I thought ExxonMobil moved to Houston years ago....and I live very close to their old campus...LOL.

If, as Caladium says, there are still ExxonMobil employees around here, then I imagine that THEY are talking about it.

As for the average NoVa resident....if they know ExxonMobil was ever here in the first place....I think you'd have a very hard time finding one that gives a hoot that they're leaving. There are just much, much more important organizations around here. Now, if the rumor was that the Federal Government was moving to Houston........EVERYBODY would be talking about that!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

If, as Caladium says, there are still ExxonMobil employees around here, then I imagine that THEY are talking about it.
Well, I just got that number off Google, and all it said was "in the DC metro area." So I don't know how many of those employees still work on the campus (or would be transferring if the campus was sold).

Old 04-30-2011, 07:39 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well, I just got that number off Google, and all it said was "in the DC metro area." So I don't know how many of those employees still work on the campus (or would be transferring if the campus was sold).

I had an errand to do tonight that took me by the campus....ExxonMobil signs still up at the entrances. So maybe folks stiil work there?

Say, didn't we have a poster here a couple of years ago that relocated from Australia to work at Exxon? She might be happy about the news....Houston is closer to home! LOL

Old 04-30-2011, 08:14 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
No - it's not discussed here a lot. It might get more publicity if the corporate HQ were in Fairfax, but that hasn't been the case since Mobil was acquired. The potential consolidation of ExxonMobil employees in Texas was reported months ago.

Exxon studying whether to consolidate offices, could close Fairfax operation

Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 AM

42 posts, read 101,978 times
The move is still 3-4 years away as it will take that long to build the new campus in Houston.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,175 times
DH is an employee at the Fairfax location. The move is definetly happening, but the new campus will be huge, and they will move people over in stages after it's completed. We were relocated here from Baton Rouge last June - people are still being brought here to work, some will probably only be here a few months before being sent to Houston. There are a couple of thousand people at the location here in Fairfax - it's a huge office, but is sort of hidden behind a really wooded area. Most people don't realize how big of an office is back in there. The rumor is that some government agnecy wants to buy it, b/c security is good, and it would be an easier commute for lots of employees. I have no idea if that's true, but I guess it makes sense.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:43 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times
Yay.. some people are leaving. Nothing against you, personally, Exxon people (honestly I'd join you, if I could).. I think we've just exceeded our maximum human capacity here in NoVA, that's all.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Yay.. some people are leaving.
LOL, that was my reaction, too. Like you said, nothing against the Exxon people. And, I'm happy to welcome all the people who are moving here right now. But yes--it's refreshing to see some people moving out, too. And nice to see jobs opening up in other cities again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia