U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 AM

486 posts, read 1,488,314 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need four new tires... I see some places online (tirerack) that looks cheap to buy them, but then any discount gets killed in the shipping cost. So, can anyone recommend a good place to get tires and have them installed locally in the Fairfax/Chantilly area?

I've seen various costs for disposal, mounting and balancing...

Just looking for a place that doesn't rip you off on labor and offers good tires.

I didn't see a good selection at Costco. I have a small SUV. I have to have this done next week so waiting for shipping might be an issue too.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times
Costco normally doesn't have the tires I want for my car either....if you are going with the standard OEMs that come with the vehicles which are generally not great - than they are fantastic for that. I wind up researching the tire online and then just calling around. I've used Merchants with good luck and a coupon....didn't have a good experience with Pep Boys though that was 18 or so years ago so I'd give 'em another shot.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 AM

515 posts, read 1,505,883 times
I had a good experience with Mr. Tire on Dorr Avenue in Merrifield. They didnt have the tire I wanted so they gave me something better for the same price.

If you go to their website there should be coupons. IIRC I paid for three tires and got four.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

2,676 posts, read 6,238,435 times
I get my tires from Firestone mainly because I have friends who work there and they hook me up. One thing they told me is to buy tires near the end of the month. The reason is that the sales reps get bonuses if they sell a certain amount every month. If they're near the end of the month and they need to get their sales numbers up to bonus, they'll start cutting deals like buy 3 get one free etc.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Interesting answers... Thank you guys!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,644,589 times
I found even with shipping cost the Michelins I wanted were much cheaper on tirerack.com. And it turned out there was a rebate going on for buying 4 tires from Michelin which cancelled out the shipping. I had them mounted/balanced at a place next door to my work which was really convenient too, didn't have to waste time at a service station waiting.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,138,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
Hi all,

I need four new tires... I see some places online (tirerack) that looks cheap to buy them, but then any discount gets killed in the shipping cost. So, can anyone recommend a good place to get tires and have them installed locally in the Fairfax/Chantilly area?

I've seen various costs for disposal, mounting and balancing...

Just looking for a place that doesn't rip you off on labor and offers good tires.

I didn't see a good selection at Costco. I have a small SUV. I have to have this done next week so waiting for shipping might be an issue too.

Thanks everyone!

We just bought our last set from Merchants and are pleased with both the service we received and our new tires.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 AM

298 posts, read 595,721 times
I'd recommend you look again at TireRack. They ship incredibly quickly -- tires will arrive within a couple of days from your order -- and they will ship directly to a local place to mount and balance them for you (I used Curry's). I've purchased 8 tires from them (4 for each car) over the past few years, and I've been very satisfied with the price and speed of shipping.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Ok, I was ready to use Tire Rack and then my place... but called Curry's as it's close to me and they could get the tires too... we negotiated a deal so that in the end the cost is saving me money from buying from Tire Rack. So ordered tires and Curry's is installing them.

Thank you all... you directly helped me. :-)

Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times
There is a place on Rt. 28 just south of Centreville a mile or two....Prince William Automotive...something like that. THey just opened a month ago. Not sure what their tire prices are but they advertise that if you buy 4 they will mount and balance for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia