U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,077,556 times
Reputation: 938

Advertisements

I prefer to stick in the lower parts of NoVA (I guess they are lower), like Manassas, Gainesville, Centreville, and Chantilly. Sometimes I do go into Fairfax and Vienna, since some of my friends live there. We only go into DC once in a while, for Caps games, sightseeing, etc. My husband works in Alexandria but takes the VRE.

I've never been to Loudoun but it seems so far away. I'd love to go south of here, to see Luray caverns and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 PM
 
1,403 posts, read 1,847,461 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I prefer to stick in the lower parts of NoVA (I guess they are lower), like Manassas, Gainesville, Centreville, and Chantilly. Sometimes I do go into Fairfax and Vienna, since some of my friends live there. We only go into DC once in a while, for Caps games, sightseeing, etc. My husband works in Alexandria but takes the VRE.

I've never been to Loudoun but it seems so far away. I'd love to go south of here, to see Luray caverns and stuff.
Eastern Loudoun is about 30 miles from DC. That's nothing for folks who lived in the Midwest, the Great West and the Southwest who are used to driving far longer distances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,826,108 times
Reputation: 42860
I spend most of my time in Loudoun, Reston/Herndon, and McLean. I use the West Falls Church metro and so often eat out or shop while I'm in Falls Church. I'm very active in an organization that has meetings in Vienna, Alexandria, and Fairfax (as well as in Loudoun) so I go to a few specific places in those communities on a fairly regular basis. I grew up in Arlington and still sometimes do things there. My work sometimes takes me to Pennsylvania and Arkansas, as well as various communities in VA--most recently this has been mostly Fair Lakes and Leesburg, but over the years I've gotten familiar with most of Nova. I go into DC 4-5 times a year, usually to go to the Kennedy Center, the Zoo, or a museum. I rarely have a reason to go over to Maryland except to drive through it on the way to PA.

I'm not sure what any of this means, except that I am a Virginian. So I guess my flavor would be Nova-All-Ovah Nutberry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: among the clustered spires
2,380 posts, read 3,859,685 times
Reputation: 869
I live and work in Leesburg (well, in a week or so). My wife works in Chantilly.Our families are in Front Royal and Berryville. There's enough events and activities here that we'll stay in Loudoun/Clarke/Warren for the most part, but we've made some friends around Fairfax (and even a couple in Arlington). So of course we'd go visit folks around Northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,671,884 times
Reputation: 2493
"There is no way I can tell exactly what your geographic social network is like. Nor, for that matter, what those of your friends are like.

I am merely positing that your and their experience may not be the universal norm"

i recognize my experience is not the universal norm. That is why the title to this thread is a question. I was curious how typical my experience is. And of course, since I am asking about others (having already posted my own) I dont think knowing my particular network in any further detail is actually needed.

To the extent that MANY other people have a similar experience to mine (in terms of not having connections all over the region) AND to the extent that tends to fall in certain common patters - inside the beltway vs outside, north part of Nova vs South part, or whatever - that MIGHT suggest reorganizing the fora. OTOH if, as appears to be the case, many folks are "all flavor NoVans" OR the different flavors overlap in complex ways, it might support keeping the fora as is.

I hope that clarifies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,077,556 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Eastern Loudoun is about 30 miles from DC. That's nothing for folks who lived in the Midwest, the Great West and the Southwest who are used to driving far longer distances.
Well, I am the kind of person who also thinks a 20 minute drive to a restaurant on the weekend is a far drive, so...haha. I'm a homebody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,614,642 times
Reputation: 2722
I work in DC, have lived in Vienna and McLean, and have other family who live inside-the-Beltway, so it's natural that we spend most of our time in eastern Fairfax, Arlington and DC. When we lived in Vienna, we spent a fair amount of time in Reston, and now that we live in McLean we go back to Vienna a lot and spend more time in Arlington. Only go to Alexandria for the Birchmere, and usually only go to Loudoun when flying out of Dulles or sports events take us to Ashburn.

I don't view any of this as some big lifestyle statement, just a reflection of the practical realities that traffic is quite heavy and that, for most of us, the majority of our day-to-day needs can be readily satisfied in areas relatively close to home or work. I am looking forward, however, to exploring some of the recent restaurant recommendations for Western Fairfax and Loudoun provided in another thread.

In any event, I wouldn't particularly favor reorganizing the forums. Even if I don't spend much time in Loudoun or Prince William, for example, I enjoy hearing about what others have to say. It would be less interesting to me to read a forum where everywhere preaches to their own choir.

Last edited by JD984; 05-05-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,826,108 times
Reputation: 42860
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
To the extent that MANY other people have a similar experience to mine (in terms of not having connections all over the region) AND to the extent that tends to fall in certain common patters - inside the beltway vs outside, north part of Nova vs South part, or whatever - that MIGHT suggest reorganizing the fora. OTOH if, as appears to be the case, many folks are "all flavor NoVans" OR the different flavors overlap in complex ways, it might support keeping the fora as is..
I guess I'm not quite grasping what your goal is. If you want to restructure the forums, what would the new structure be?

So far, I see two options. You could rename the three existing forums to "Inside the Beltway" "Outside the Beltway MD" and "Outside the Beltway VA". Would that really change anything? To be honest, I think the same people would gravitate to the same forums, no matter what the name is.

Or, you could create a completely new forum, dedicated solely to "Inside the Beltway" issue. That would mean 4 forums for the DC metro area. To be honest, I don't think it would get much readership and you'd be still be reading the other forums, anyway. There just aren't that many threads dedicated to Inside the Beltway issues--not enough to support a separate forum, IMO.

Or, did you have something else entirely in mind?

FWIW, if you want to hang out in only one forum you might consider the DC Forum. You can already talk about Alexandria and Annandale there if you want--Yac is usually quite flexible about letting people on that forum discuss the inner ring suburbs, just like Tone lets us post about the zoo and the Smithsonians because people in Nova use those facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,671,884 times
Reputation: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I guess I'm not quite grasping what your goal is. If you want to restructure the forums, what would the new structure be?
I'm not that goal focused on this. I'm reflecting and exploring. Your point is well made though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,671,884 times
Reputation: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, if you want to hang out in only one forum you might consider the DC Forum. You can already talk about Alexandria and Annandale there if you want--Yac is usually quite flexible about letting people on that forum discuss the inner ring suburbs, just like Tone lets us post about the zoo and the Smithsonians because people in Nova use those facilities.
well yeah, DC forum gets threads addressing the whole metro area. Plus ones that are narrowly about DC. I dont get a real "inside the beltway, but not just the District" feel there, but maybe I haven't been listening for it enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top