U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:54 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
well yeah, DC forum gets threads addressing the whole metro area. Plus ones that are narrowly about DC. I dont get a real "inside the beltway, but not just the District" feel there, but maybe I haven't been listening for it enough.
Maybe some of them feel about DC the way you feel about inside the Beltway (or whatever particular geographical boundaries your social network has).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
I dont get a real "inside the beltway, but not just the District" feel there, but maybe I haven't been listening for it enough.
Then be the person to establish that feeling. Start discussing "inside the beltway issues" that involve both DC and Nova and see where it goes.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-05-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
I'm not that goal focused on this. I'm reflecting and exploring. Your point is well made though.
Uh huh. You know, when my kids say stuff like this it turns out there's no actual point to the conversation. "Exploring" is code for "let's say some random things to see where it leads".

Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,674 times
I have to admit, the Loudoun stuff on this sub-forum is rarely (if ever?) relevant to me (actually, DC stuff is more so, but I don't love those guys enough to hang out on *their* sub-forum ), but - as JEB said - it's kinda interesting, sometimes, just the same. And I think enough (absolutely bonkers! ) people commute to inside-the-Beltway locations (or even DC) from Loudoun that one of its communities' major 'purposes' (if you want to be blunt about it) overlaps with, say, Fairfax Co.s primary one. And, also (as I've seen Caladium and others point out), Fed agencies and their corporate leeches (heh heh - no offense intended to anyone employed by said leeches) are in lots of cases doing more and more stuff 'out there' - but only 'out there' specifically because it's on the periphery of the DC area, rather than in, say, SW VA.

I spend most of my (non-work) time outside the Beltway, but that's not at all going to be the case starting on that magical, mystical day in the future when I (with my SO) sign my name on the dotted line (to purchase a home I like and can actually afford in my chosen neighborhood in Arlington) and become one of those privileged inside-the-Beltway people. (Just kidding - it's actually no big deal to be one. Seriously. When I lived inside the Beltway, before [in College Park, MD], I didn't every experience any tingly feelings of greatness or anything of that sort. Ever. )

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 05-05-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,459 times
I lived 4 years in the District, part of a year in north Arlington, 1.5 years in south Arlington, 4 years in Falls Church, and now 7.5 years in eastern Loudoun. While 90+% of my daily life occurs in Loudoun and western Fairfax (Chantilly/Herndon), I maintain connections to closer-in parts. I'm still in a community band in Falls Church; visit friends in Fairfax, Arlington, and DC; shop at Tysons (weekday daytime only and never near Christmas -- I'm not that crazy); attend sporting and other events for Georgetown (my alma mater); take my kids to the National Zoo, the Mall, the museums. I actually ran into someone who lives on my street at the Cherry Blossom Kite Festival - but haven't seen her around the neighborhood in months.

I definitely took more of an interest in DC and inner-suburb goings-on when I was working in the city (and before I had kids), but I'm not one of those exurbanites who never go east, either. I could see how recent transplants might feel less connected to the city, but I never want my kids to be the ones who grow up in the far suburbs and think that DC is something to be feared. I want them to know how to use the Metro (bus too!) and be street-smart (if we end up sending them to single-sex Catholic schools in the District when they're older, they'll get plenty of that).

I will admit that I am less than familiar with some parts of NoVA. I've never been to Clifton or down Rt. 1. But that doesn't mean that I don't want to know anything about the Bunnyman or BRAC. I read almost every initial post on this board, and follow the thread (unless it's a really specific question about an area I don't know and it's not going to turn into one of these meandering "deep thoughts" threads).

Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Uh huh. You know, when my kids say stuff like this it turns out there's no actual point to the conversation. "Exploring" is code for "let's say some random things to see where it leads".

but i dont think what i said was THAT random. And I like the idea of seeing where something leads. I suspect I would like your kids.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Quote:
well yeah, DC forum gets threads addressing the whole metro area. Plus ones that are narrowly about DC. I dont get a real "inside the beltway, but not just the District" feel there, but maybe I haven't been listening for it enough.
This is a feeling I've had about this forum. It's very useful and overall very well-mannered. And it's great for some things. But it does seem to have a very outside-the-Beltway focus. Sometimes it doesn't matter to the topic at hand, but there are times when I wish there was a place to ask about political or community things in Arlington. (The ArlNow forum is awash with idiots--very rude and juvenile.)

Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
This is a feeling I've had about this forum. It's very useful and overall very well-mannered. And it's great for some things. But it does seem to have a very outside-the-Beltway focus. Sometimes it doesn't matter to the topic at hand, but there are times when I wish there was a place to ask about political or community things in Arlington. (The ArlNow forum is awash with idiots--very rude and juvenile.)
That doesn't speak well of the Arlington-only crowd, nay?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Good evening.

It is one thing to go off-topic in a friendly discussion. It becomes a "double-whammy", however, when things turn negative and personal. As always, the best solutions to any concerns are listed at the bottom of this post. Responding only perpetuates the perceived aggrievance.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 PM

15,897 posts, read 36,023,827 times
Quote:
I follow all three - MD, DC, NoVA.

DC is interesting. You can tell it's mostly younger people though. But there is some interesting banter, and could probably use some of the older more overall-wise NoVA informed on there as well. Whether or not NoVA people would be interested in their banter is another thing. I like it though, keeps a person informed.

MD/MD-DC suburbs - I've been hanging out there more forum-wise. Completely different feel once again. It certainly has its regulars. Usually debating if PG's reputation is warranted or not.

Having followed your posts, and as a person who quite likes Brooklyn NY, and loves the convenience of urban areas, I certainly follow your perspectives on various places, and what you have to say.

As far as what you seek for living...it seems like DC itself might be the answer. As I've been exploring MD more, it does seem to have some interesting areas. Frederick, Silver Spring and College Park come to mind - even though I've heard a lot of mixed on College Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or