U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM

811 posts, read 1,743,847 times

Advertisements

So driving on Braddock Road through Gum Spring Road, I was SHOCKED to see how much construction has and is occurring since I was there last summer.

1) What's going on? I thought the housing market went bust, and construction was gone?
-Why then is there so much still being built on Braddock Road at the ridings AND past Gum Spring Road?

2) Very concerned with Braddock Road. It saddens me how just 5 years ago it was unpaved, deeply forested, and gave you a sense of what life was like in NOVA before remax and co destroyed and vommitted a bunch of condos on it.
-As of today, there is only ONE segment left of Braddock road that is unpaved, and deeply covered in trees (by 705 past Gum Spring Road).
There are a few small farms there, it really is pretty, and sad seeing how a once sequested area is being destroyed.
Anyway...is Braddock Road's demise imminent? Are there current plans to completely bulldoze and pave it with townhomes and mcmansions, or is that last, small patch of road where it is somewhat rural safe for now?

Residents in SW Loudon should protest and demand it be preserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,119,863 times
SE Loudoun you mean?

I would assume Loudoun's growth would be concentrated in that area, since the western part of the county can't be densely developed and the NE corner of Loudoun is already pretty developed.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,646,646 times
The housing market in southeastern Loudoun didn't go bust. New homes are selling well. Stone Ridge, South Riding, and Kirkpatrick Farms are all still building in that area.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 PM

811 posts, read 1,743,847 times
I am sorry, yes, SE Loudon.
What the heck, we have a major recession that has decimated the housing market.
WHY are they still building/destroying the once pretty rural area with ugly shantys?

Seriously, what gives, this is a recession...WHY the construction by Braddock/Gum Spring Road?
Will it EVER stop? Or is it recession proof?

Second, is Braddock Road (the last frontier) doomed? Are their plans to develope the last bit of it which is unpaved (PLEASE no!).

Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Here is the Countywide Transportation Plan (http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=fe582add556d488daf302748a5 974f99&tabid=327&fmpath=%2fComp+Plan%2f05+-+2010+Countywide+Transportation+Plan+Amended+throu gh+01-19-11%2f - broken link). The numbers are the maximum number of lanes anticipated by 2030. Looks like Braddock Road will probably eventually be paved through as two lanes westward to Route 15, but that part will still be "rural" (shoulder and ditch) instead of "urban" (curb and gutter).

You will also see on that map that Braddock Road in that area is in the "Transition Area." You can read all about the housing development plans for the Transition Policy Area (http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=79631f8a18254b3d8f395bd9d0 3da9f6&tabid=327&fmpath=%2fComp+Plan%2f05+-+2010+Countywide+Transportation+Plan+Amended+throu gh+01-19-11%2f - broken link). Don't worry, there's still plenty of rural Loudoun left that won't be developed (though I've certainly seen some ugly shanties out there... they're just not new).

Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM

531 posts, read 1,208,876 times
Yes, the new houses are not pretty, compared to the scenic old loudoun. But this is the reality. Human beings keep reproducing. The population keeps growing. Where do people live? If not in Loudoun, then it has to be Fairfax, Prince William. People have to live somewhere. It will be ideal if everyone can afford living in a real mansion (instead of a mcMansion) on a five acre lot. But that is not realistic.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,853,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Here is the Countywide Transportation Plan (http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=fe582add556d488daf302748a5 974f99&tabid=327&fmpath=%2fComp+Plan%2f05+-+2010+Countywide+Transportation+Plan+Amended+throu gh+01-19-11%2f - broken link). The numbers are the maximum number of lanes anticipated by 2030. Looks like Braddock Road will probably eventually be paved through as two lanes westward to Route 15, but that part will still be "rural" (shoulder and ditch) instead of "urban" (curb and gutter).

You will also see on that map that Braddock Road in that area is in the "Transition Area." You can read all about the housing development plans for the Transition Policy Area (http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=79631f8a18254b3d8f395bd9d0 3da9f6&tabid=327&fmpath=%2fComp+Plan%2f05+-+2010+Countywide+Transportation+Plan+Amended+throu gh+01-19-11%2f - broken link). Don't worry, there's still plenty of rural Loudoun left that won't be developed (though I've certainly seen some ugly shanties out there... they're just not new).
You are a treasure-trove of excellent information. Is this work-related for you?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:43 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,131,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I am sorry, yes, SE Loudon.
What the heck, we have a major recession that has decimated the housing market.
WHY are they still building/destroying the once pretty rural area with ugly shantys?

Seriously, what gives, this is a recession...WHY the construction by Braddock/Gum Spring Road?
Will it EVER stop? Or is it recession proof?

Second, is Braddock Road (the last frontier) doomed? Are their plans to develope the last bit of it which is unpaved (PLEASE no!).
Are you saying the people shouldn't be able to sell their homes and land to whomever they choose?

BTW, who is the ''they'' who are doing this? Farmers who sell their land? Builders who buy it and build houses that people want to buy? or someone else?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You are a treasure-trove of excellent information. Is this work-related for you?
Nope, I'm just a local-issues blogger/stay-at-home-mom with a Master's in Library and Information Science that's not getting a lot of use much these days.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,917,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
It will be ideal if everyone can afford living in a real mansion (instead of a mcMansion) on a five acre lot. But that is not realistic.
Also, it may not be ideal for the people who live in them.

Who are homes meant to serve, anyway? The people who drive by and look at them... or the people who own them and live in them?

My 1/5th acre lot is the perfect size for me--but 5 acres would not work for my lifestyle at all.

1. I like to walk to my job and to the store. I couldn't do that if every house here was on a 5-acre lot.
2. My kids have room to play in their yard, they're within an easy walk of 2 dozen other kids, and I can easily keep an eye on them.
3. I have room for a good sized garden, but not so much property that I have to hire workers to maintain the place (or spend all my time caring for it myself).
4. With 1/5th acre, I don't have the problems with claustrophobia and mold that I used to have when I lived in a more urban area. I have enough space to get plenty of air and sunlight and trees and greenery. That's all the space I need to get those things--with 5 acres I would feel isolated since I also like being able to hang out with my neighbors on the cul de sac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia