U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,089,099 times

Advertisements

We have great ham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I get almost zero connection to the South here in Nova. My neighbors wear burkas, there's Abuelitas watching the little kids, Old Sihk men walking. I have a Korean Allergist, and Indian Dentist and a Lebanese-Muslim Doctor.

Its more like Orange County (CA) than Virginia up here.
That could later define Virginia, or at least shift it.

Throughout California, even in places like Modesto or Sacramento, it is quite usual to see a wide number of various 'other ethnicities' throughout the entire state now.

Perhaps as various 'other' make NoVa home, they'll eventually expand southward and westward a bit as well.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,089,099 times
I'd say one characteristic is its mono-chromatic residential architecture. Seems every house built here since the 80s is a brick colonial. Funny that we have all these people from somewhere else who all want to live in the same style house.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 AM

23,642 posts, read 33,434,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
As someone from northern va I can't stand any part of va south of where I live.
That's fair. And as a native of the non-NoVA Virginia we can't stand y'all either.

As a Virginian, I would say one characteristic I have is realizing the value of history in starting this country. I grew up less than 30 minutes from Jamestown and the Yorktown battlefields (even had a Yorktown address for a few years.) My knowledge of Virginia history and Revolutionary War history absolutely stuns any history teacher I've had. Because I made straight As in 11th grade U.S. History all year, I had that teacher BEGGING me to take AP Government in 12th grade (didn't b/c I was figuring on going into the military after HS, things can change in a year.)

Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,712,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'd say one characteristic is its mono-chromatic residential architecture. Seems every house built here since the 80s is a brick colonial. Funny that we have all these people from somewhere else who all want to live in the same style house.

Single family residential - I was on Columbia Pike last night, and the new high rises include at least some of the kind of PoMo millenial style you see in NY, if a tad more conservative looking (which seems right to me)

Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,640,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's not really the case. If you go to a newer planned community like Brambleton in Loudoun, or look at the new in-fill properties in Arlington, Falls Church, McLean or Vienna, you'll find comparatively few brick Colonials and a lot of neo-traditional Craftsman - so many, in fact, that some people are starting to get tired of them. Some of the newer townhouses that I've seen in Reston are in a contemporary style that wouldn't look out of place in California.

You definitely won't find a ton of contemporary homes here, log cabins, A-frames, Santa Fe-style casitas, etc. (if we're talking about single-family homes). Maybe that will change if more Californians move here, or perhaps the Colonials just have a solid, reassuring quality.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
As someone from northern va I can't stand any part of va south of where I live.

I actually like LOTS of parts of va other than NoVa. For example I love SNP - its about the bestest thing in the state, IMO. I also enjoy the wonderful walkable, urban neighborhoods of old Richmond. And the rapids on the James - white water in an urban downtown may be found SOMEWHERE else, but Richmond is the only place Ive experienced it. Colonial Williamsburg is not only a tie to our nations past, but its also in interesting look at colonial era urban form. And Chincoteague, is, well, Chincoteague (of course we got there quicker when we lived in Baltimore, but oh well). My lack of deep identification with the Commonwealth (as compared to my identification with metro DC, or with NoVa) does not at all mean I don't find much in Virginia that I like.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
That's not really the case. If you go to a newer planned community like Brambleton in Loudoun, or look at the new in-fill properties in Arlington, Falls Church, McLean or Vienna, you'll find comparatively few brick Colonials and a lot of neo-traditional Craftsman - so many, in fact, that some people are starting to get tired of them. Some of the newer townhouses that I've seen in Reston are in a contemporary style that wouldn't look out of place in California.

You definitely won't find a ton of contemporary homes here, log cabins, A-frames, Santa Fe-style casitas, etc. (if we're talking about single-family homes). Maybe that will change if more Californians move here, or perhaps the Colonials just have a solid, reassuring quality.

Ive always assumed the preference for colonials was cause they dont "date" themselves easily. You see a colonial around here, you really have to know your details to judge if its a 1930s colonial, a 1950s, a 1990s, or whatever. But if you look at a 1970s contemp (and there are quite a few pockets of those around here) it SCREAMS "1970s". Folks concerned with their property holding value dont want to invest in something likely to go out of fashion. In regions where colonial itself is a fashion, and not as wide and established a preference as here, thats not as big a concern. Im not sure how that impacts the neo trad craftsman homes.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,911,006 times
Quote:
Some of the newer townhouses that I've seen in Reston are in a contemporary style that wouldn't look out of place in California.
Also the original homes and townhouses. Reston was originally conceived as a sort of "city of the future" featuring modern architecture. Several renowned architects designed the original houses.

These condos were designed by renowned architect Clothiel Smith and were featured in Life Magazine when they were built in the early 1960s.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,853,009 times
Quote:

I personally like Spanish eclectic and I don't see a lot of that style in NoVA. And apparently I am not the only one who likes it here, because I saw one a few weeks ago on offer in low 7 figures and by the time I got my wife to see the photographs and talked about going to see it, it was sold!

Then again, that particular style is really more suited environmentally for warm-dry areas and it probably looks quite out of place here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia