U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:08 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,845,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
If you go to a newer planned community like Brambleton in Loudoun, or look at the new in-fill properties in Arlington, Falls Church, McLean or Vienna, you'll find comparatively few brick Colonials and a lot of neo-traditional Craftsman - so many, in fact, that some people are starting to get tired of them.
My wife and I considered making an offer on a 1950's Craftsman in Great Falls that was COMPLETELY renovated. The inside was very Bobo (per David Brooks) contemporary. The owners claimed to have spent $850k on renovations alone.

We passed because it was a bit small for us, but it was a quite an attractive fusion of the original Craftsman look with contemporary decor. It did not look too out of place with the rest of the neighborhood, but it was just a little different enough to be noticed upon a closer look.

If we only had a couple of kids...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,628,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
That's not really the case. If you go to a newer planned community like Brambleton in Loudoun, or look at the new in-fill properties in Arlington, Falls Church, McLean or Vienna, you'll find comparatively few brick Colonials and a lot of neo-traditional Craftsman - so many, in fact, that some people are starting to get tired of them. Some of the newer townhouses that I've seen in Reston are in a contemporary style that wouldn't look out of place in California.

You definitely won't find a ton of contemporary homes here, log cabins, A-frames, Santa Fe-style casitas, etc. (if we're talking about single-family homes). Maybe that will change if more Californians move here, or perhaps the Colonials just have a solid, reassuring quality.
True about Brambleton - some of the townhomes being built now are in a very different style than most new construction in this area (examples: M&S Grand Vista | M&S Brownstones | Camberley).

If you want A-frames and log cabins, you'll have to head further west towards the mountains.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,788,860 times
Another characteristic that sets Nova apart from other metro areas is we have noticeably fewer city governments. The newest areas have almost no cities at all.

The eastern half of Loudoun, for example, has thousands and thousands of residents and is starting to become quite dense in places, yet none of the communities have bothered to incorporate. Incorporation is sooooo last century!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post

So we have the highest median household income, fastest growing counties, the fittest population and now the highest birth rate...

This is now officially the Tiger Mom region.
LOL, now that you mention I do know quite a few Tiger Moms. You may be right about that.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,904,641 times
Cookie cutter colonial homes, hardly any downtowns - tacky big box stores, lots of nicely wooded parks, hard driving busy people

Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,696,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What is VIRGINIA known for? Characteristics of VIRGINIANS?
From what I can see, many Virginians are dedicated (to careers, family, etc.). They work hard, and they play hard. Some can be fairly intense. I appreciate that quality, but it's more interesting and fun when they have a sense of humor and don't take themselves too seriously.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,974,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
They work hard, and they play hard.
I don't see much playing, hard or otherwise. Seems like they work, drive, and hibernate in their houses most of the time. Of course that leaves a lot less crowded outdoors for those of us who really do play.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,287,460 times
Good news -- it'll be even LESS crowded outdoors come August....

Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,696,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't see much playing, hard or otherwise. Seems like they work, drive, and hibernate in their houses most of the time. Of course that leaves a lot less crowded outdoors for those of us who really do play.
"Playing," to me, includes going to their kids' sports games, doing the fundraisers/volunteer work, hitting the gym (or the booze), and quibbling over EVERY little line here on NoVA city-data.

Edited to add: And clearly I have learned to quibble at a level suitable for survival in NoVA after being here for 6 years.

Last edited by Fern435; 05-10-2011 at 04:23 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
"Playing," to me, includes going to their kids' sports games, doing the fundraisers/volunteer work, hitting the gym (or the booze), and quibbling over EVERY little line here on NoVA city-data.

Edited to add: And clearly I have learned to quibble at a level suitable for survival in NoVA after being here for 6 years.
LOL! I never thought of quibbling as a local sport, but with all the lawyers we have around here I think you may be right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia