U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
there are lots of people on this forum who have never even been to the Gold Cup or any of the horse events..
Although technically here, it's referred to as just "Gold Cup", not "the Gold Cup. As in, "I'm taking the Roller to Gold Cup"

The greatest horse of all time was a native Virginian - Secratariat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 PM

15,909 posts, read 36,029,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Tiger Beer, have you considered Portland (Oregon or Maine), Boulder, Colorado, or Seattle? It seems like what you are looking for might be more readily found in those areas.
I've lived in Portland Oregon before. Loved it. Back in the mid 90s, when I got out of college.

Boulder and Portland are overgrown college-minded towns, great for someone in their 20s and single.

I'm well beyond that stage unfortunately, and attracted to Washington DC because of the jobs and careers there.

Which is basically why I'm always keeping my eye on MD/VA

(So, unfortunately you guys are stuck with me participating and poking around your forums from time to time )

Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Although technically here, it's referred to as just "Gold Cup", not "the Gold Cup. As in, "I'm taking the Roller to Gold Cup"

The greatest horse of all time was a native Virginian - Secratariat.
LOL, can you tell I spent 20+ years in California? I also call Rt. 7 the 7. Can't help myself!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

(So, unfortunately you guys are stuck with me participating and poking around your forums from time to time )
In that case, yay! I like having you around the forum, even though I also think Nova's way too new and suburban for you.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Reminder: The W&OD is groomed for horses west of Vienna and the Great Falls and Hunters Valley areas are criss-crossed with trails and ought to count as horsey-country too!

General Note: NoVa inner suburbs are all post-WWII. Middle suburbs are all post-1960. Outer suburbs are all post-1980...or even post-1990. Further out, you get back to what's pretty much been here the whole time.

Thought for the Day: Did you ever stop and think that the only real difference between these lovely old walkable historic downtowns and the assorted arrays of "strip malls" that pass for downtowns today is that the parking lots are in the back instead of in the front?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Thought for the Day: Did you ever stop and think that the only real difference between these lovely old walkable historic downtowns and the assorted arrays of "strip malls" that pass for downtowns today is that the parking lots are in the back instead of in the front?
It's funny, but I have thought of that. I've always thought that in Vienna, they should have built some of the stores closer to the street and done the parking in the back, and it would look more attractive. Having said that, I do think walkable downtowns encompass more than just strip malls. To me, a walkable downtown has other amenities besides stores, such as a post office, a library, a park or playground, a school, an ice cream parlor, a town hall, or similar-type amenities. It would have sidewalks in front of it to keep it walkable. To make it "lovely" it would also be built in an attractive architectural style (or course this is subject to interpretation). Also, it would be in a central location of the town, with the downtown in the center and housing built in cocentric circles, more or less, around it.

To me, livng in a housing development next to a strip mall shopping center that you can walk to is not the same as living in a walkable downtown.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,773,041 times
Quote:
Just curious, as I've seen the references of that before. Is that most common in Loudon County....and out in Winchester City area as well? Or mostly just Loudon? Just curious.
Horses, yes. But plenty of cows (several different types) and llamas (or alpacas). You'll see the farms along Rte 7 west esp in the Berryville area and west to Winchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
BTW, Winchester is just called Winchester.
Actually it's "City of Winchester". We live in the downtown historic district so all taxes, services, etc. fall under the city and not Frederick County.

However, when people ask about living in Winchester, there's always a follow up question since Winchester includes the downtown historic part, suburbs, and outlying very rural areas.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,773,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Did you ever stop and think that the only real difference between these lovely old walkable historic downtowns and the assorted arrays of "strip malls" that pass for downtowns today is that the parking lots are in the back instead of in the front?
You are kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Having said that, I do think walkable downtowns encompass more than just strip malls. To me, a walkable downtown has other amenities besides stores, such as a post office, a library, a park or playground, a school, an ice cream parlor, a town hall, or similar-type amenities. It would have sidewalks in front of it to keep it walkable. To make it "lovely" it would also be built in an attractive architectural style (or course this is subject to interpretation). Also, it would be in a central location of the town, with the downtown in the center and housing built in cocentric circles, more or less, around it.

To me, livng in a housing development next to a strip mall shopping center that you can walk to is not the same as living in a walkable downtown.
I'm glad you chimed in michgc. I don't see many similarities at all between a walkable historic downtown and a strip mall. And since we live in a historic downtown (Winchester) I should mention that we do not even have parking available behind buildings. This town was built in the 1700s so a "parking space" behind buildings would not have been included in city planning. Today, visitors coming to Winchester can park either along the streets or in the bank parking lots, which are within walking distance and closed during the weekends.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,100 times
Quote:
I've lived in Portland Oregon before. Loved it. Back in the mid 90s, when I got out of college.

Boulder and Portland are overgrown college-minded towns, great for someone in their 20s and single.

I'm well beyond that stage unfortunately, and attracted to Washington DC because of the jobs and careers there.

Which is basically why I'm always keeping my eye on MD/VA

That's the purpose of city-data--asking questions and exchanging information about different areas. How recently have you been in the United States for a visit?

It seems like you are interested in finding an urban environment that fits a very specific set of conditions usually found in the more expensive areas of DC/NoVA/MD. What kind of job do you plan to get in the DC area? Where you work and how much you can afford to pay are two very important things to consider when deciding where to live here--even more than how a particular area voted in the last election.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Quote:
It's funny, but I have thought of that. I've always thought that in Vienna, they should have built some of the stores closer to the street and done the parking in the back, and it would look more attractive.
Actually, I was thinking of Vienna in comparison to a town where I grew up that has also made that "Most Livable Towns" list, and it does have that classic walkable downtown area that earns high praise, but (almost) everybody drives there just the same -- they just park behind all the stores instead of in front of them. That town is about 200 years older than Vienna, but the major differences I can think of are the location of the parking and the fact that the street-level retail space has (obviously old) affordable housing units above it.

Quote:
Having said that, I do think walkable downtowns encompass more than just strip malls. To me, a walkable downtown has other amenities besides stores, such as a post office, a library, a park or playground, a school, an ice cream parlor, a town hall, or similar-type amenities. It would have sidewalks in front of it to keep it walkable.
Well, Vienna has all those things. And bakeries and cafes and art stores. It's all there. It just doesn't all front the street.

Quote:
To make it "lovely" it would also be built in an attractive architectural style (or course this is subject to interpretation).
Ah, there's the rub. Towns that grew up before WWII already have the sort of solid architectural style that people as a whole seem to fancy these days. Maybe town planners and developers should borrow a page from Disneyland's book and build lovely false fronts for downtown areas that have modern, efficient strip malls behind them. Best of both worlds?

Quote:
Yeah, I was just kind of wondering what one would actually have to do in order to retrofit a post-WWII downtown (in Vienna's case, a post-1960 downtown) to make it work, look, and feel like a pre-WWII downtown. Not sure there's any hope at all for the many post-1990 developments where there never was a downtown to start out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia