U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM

15,912 posts, read 36,029,368 times

Advertisements

What is VIRGINIA known for? Characteristics of VIRGINIANS?

Granted, I'm placing this in the Northern Virginia section. There does seem to be a distinct difference between Northern Virginia and the rest of the state.

However, you're still all Virginians...so feel free to define yourself however you want to define yourself within the context of your state, any way you'd like to.

So, what is Virginia known for? What are some characteristics of Virginians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,983 times
Northern Virginians = people from other places (of course I'm generalizing here.. hehe.. but you get the point, I think).

Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
As far as Virginia goes, I can't really think of any defining characteristics that apply to people throughout the state. It's just a nice place to live with nice weather and and a wide variety of people, most of whom are nice people--but other states have those things, so there's nothing really distinct about being Virginian. Nonetheless, I'm proud to be a Virginian. Life here is good.

As far as Northern VA goes, I think the thing that makes it distinct is it's newness. If cities were people, you could say most US cities are middle aged (some are even over the hill) but Nova is the token teen. It's the only large metro area I know of that has next to no historic neighborhoods. There are a few, but the majority of Nova was built in the last 50 years.

This newness leads to a lot of our other distinctions.

Nova is known for the diversity of the population. IMO, a big reason for this is the newness. We don't have established neighborhoods that have catered to a certain group for 100 years, so when people move here they aren't drawn to any particular area based on ethnic lines.

Because we are such a new area, we don't yet have certain foods or certain customs associated with our metro area. Our "Chicago Pizza" or "Philly Cheesesteak" is yet to be invented. We don't have many (if any) songs about northern Virginia. All that will happen, in time. I keep thinking Alicia or arielmina or one of our other forum foodies will create something and I'll be able to brag to my grandchildren that I knew them way back when.

Also, a huge percentage of residents have moved here from somewhere else. Many have lived 5-6 other states and countries before moving here. This is an unusually fluid area.

We consistently make the top 3 of the Forbes lists for things like residents with graduate degrees, being physically fit, and number of people who work for the government.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-05-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM

660 posts, read 1,499,047 times
I'm not sure the rest of the state has much in common except for being markedly more likely to consider themselves Southern (and Republican, aside from places like Charlottesville, Norfolk, and the city of Richmond) than we would here.

Most states have fairly distinct regions, and a lot of these regions have more in common with regions of other states than with the rest of their state. I'm not sure people from the UP would take too kindly to being categorized by terms more applicable to residents of Metro Detroit, and I know that people from central and northern Pennsylvania hate the notion that Pennsylvania is just a bunch of Amish and Quakers.

For example, SW VA is largely Scotch-Irish, with no history of plantations, resulting in very white, pretty egalitarian communities that are kind of in economic freefall, to be honest. The Shenandoah Valley has a lot of German farmers and is pretty prosperous for a rural area. Anything east of the Blue Ridge is going to have a significant African-American population and remnants of the old "First Families of Virginia" aristocracy. These are gross generalizations, but I'm honestly not sure what characteristics unite people from Abingdon, Winchester and Portsmouth.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What is VIRGINIA known for? Characteristics of VIRGINIANS?

Granted, I'm placing this in the Northern Virginia section. There does seem to be a distinct difference between Northern Virginia and the rest of the state.

However, you're still all Virginians...so feel free to define yourself however you want to define yourself within the context of your state, any way you'd like to.

So, what is Virginia known for? What are some characteristics of Virginians?

I came to NoVa for employment that was here because of proximity to DC, and now work in DC, and stayed in NoVa cause of inertia. Being a citizen of the Commonwealth provides me a good excuse for saying y'all instead of "you guys", for indulging my obsession with the Civil War, and for kvetiching about how Richmond treats NoVa. My wife who is involved in local politics and activism to some degree, especially in education, but also via the Jewish Community Relations Council, is much more attuned to Virginia politics and life. For me, the Commonwealth really isn't that important.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:11 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
...Nova is the token teen. It's the only large metro area I know of that has next to no historic neighborhoods. There are a few, but the majority of Nova was built in the last 50 years.
Populations as of 1960:

Fairfax County -- 275,002
Prince William County -- 50,164
Loudoun County -- 24,549
Fauquier County -- 24,066
Stafford County -- 16,876

On the whole, I'd say most of us who came along to change those numbers have done more to change the character of the state than the state has done to change our character.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I came to NoVa for employment that was here because of proximity to DC, and now work in DC, and stayed in NoVa cause of inertia. Being a citizen of the Commonwealth provides me a good excuse for saying y'all instead of "you guys", for indulging my obsession with the Civil War, and for kvetiching about how Richmond treats NoVa. My wife who is involved in local politics and activism to some degree, especially in education, but also via the Jewish Community Relations Council, is much more attuned to Virginia politics and life. For me, the Commonwealth really isn't that important.
We do have some interesting turns of phrase in this area. My kids give me a hard time when I say things like "Y'all need to schlep your own stuff out of the car" to them.

Given that some of us speak this way, perhaps it's also no surprise we've ended up with Korean-Cuban fusion restaurants, and some would take the position that NoVa's best-known food is pho. I have to say I like it better than the peanut soup that you can find in some parts of the Commonwealth.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:06 PM

446 posts, read 1,486,470 times
We have great wine here in the Commonwealth! I always smile when I drive down the road and see bumper stickers stating "Make Mine Virginia Wine". We also have a great blend of Americana - between the Blue Ridge mountains and the calm waters of our beaches, we have so much here. I enjoy living in a state with history around every corner.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,810 times
I'm in my 4th year here (unusually for us, we move quite often). My DH and I have spent the past year watching and reading (and touring non-Nova areas of VA) all sorts of non-fiction about the Civil War. Virginia has such a blood/familial intricacy with the Civil War.

Robert E Lee was offered command of the Union Troops; he refused as his soul was his home of Virginia. (His actual home Arlington House, is now Arlington Cemetery-cool tour- Its was a gift from Lee's Great-Father in Law, George Washington)The last standing Confederate Army was the Northern Virginia. Its been well written that Lee would have been a Presidential Candidate (and would have won according to Docents in Richmond) if the South had not ceded. The honor of Southern men was such a commodity (as was the horror of the human beings they dealt in, of course).

Watch Ken Burns PBS Civil War series to start.

My point is, despite roads and schools named for Lee, Jeb Stuart, etc., I get almost zero connection to the South here in Nova. My neighbors wear burkas, there's Abuelitas watching the little kids, Old Sihk men walking. I have a Korean Allergist, and Indian Dentist and a Lebanese-Muslim Doctor.

Its more like Orange County (CA) than Virginia up here.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
We do have some interesting turns of phrase in this area. My kids give me a hard time when I say things like "Y'all need to schlep your own stuff out of the car" to them.

Given that some of us speak this way, perhaps it's also no surprise we've ended up with Korean-Cuban fusion restaurants, and some would take the position that NoVa's best-known food is pho. I have to say I like it better than the peanut soup that you can find in some parts of the Commonwealth.
I like peanut soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia