U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM

9 posts, read 16,112 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We are right now living just at the corner of Herndon (Rock Hill road) and are planning to rent a town house at Gable Square, Sterling VA -- We just have to find a new place because there are a few issues with current place.

I have done some research on Sterling on this forum and have looked for some kind of crime data around the google and I feel like there are mixed responses about Sterling here on the forum - the stats that I looked at basically favor Herndon but unfortunately we cannot seem to find a TH in Herndon in our range

We are a family of three with a three year old - I have a job inside Herndon so I think commute is just fine from this place I am looking at

I know Sterling Park area is kinda sketchy but I am still debating on to move to this place or not. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
What about Lowes Island area? My husband's cousin lived there for 5 years before moving back to TX. It was a lovely neighborhood, and easily commutable to Herndon.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,459 times
Loudoun County gives its crime data to CrimeReports. In all of 2011 thus far, the only incident in Gable Square itself has been a theft from vehicle. I don't really think of that area as Sterling Park (but then again, I'm one of the crazy people that thinks Sterling Park isn't all that bad, and I voluntarily take my children there to play in the parks and community center there).

My concern about that area would be the commercial traffic on Shaw/Cedar Green/Davis Drives and proximity to the W&OD Trail (good thing for daytime trail use; possibly bad thing for nighttime?); however, overall it's a good location - convenient to 28/Waxpool/Church Rd./Sterling Blvd., a short hop to Wegmans, minutes away from Dulles Town Center. And walking distance to Joe's Cafe!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times
I lived in Sterling for 7 years and never felt it was a bad area. I lived in Woodstone (stone's throw from Herndon), and it is a very family friendly area. I would walk my dogs with no concern at all hours of the morning and night.

While there is certainly some crime, I find most of it is centered around a very specific area in the middle of Sterling Park. The outskirts of Sterling Park tend to be decent, working class family areas. Beyond that, the newer townhouse and single family home neighborhoods are no different than similar neighborhoods in Reston and Herndon.

My tenants in my Sterling Woodstone townhouse are moving out at the end of the month. If you wish to contact me privately, I'd be happy to provide you details.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments

@hilsmom: I would probably want to move in that area but unfortunately, I have been mostly relying on craigslist to search for TH -- Have not been able to find a credible website which lists TH for rent. Any suggestions?

@cdmurphy: Thanks for your comments - I think the road where this TH is located is quite distant and will be bit peacfull - I inquired landlord about people in neighborhood and seems like they are from a working class. so i think i am pretty much going to pull the trigger

@spencgr: Thank you for comments - I think at this point, me and my wife like this place which is nearer to R-28 and easy for commuting. I really appreciate your offer.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Is there any public transport available in this area? or generally in loudon county? - I think i have seen a loudon - WFC connector bus but nothing else. Not a major concern, just checking!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 PM

30 posts, read 43,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post

@hilsmom: I would probably want to move in that area but unfortunately, I have been mostly relying on craigslist to search for TH -- Have not been able to find a credible website which lists TH for rent. Any suggestions?
You might want to call a local realtor as they can also help you find rentals.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,526,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post

www.homesdatabase.com is a good source of townhouses for rent.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
Here is the page for the Loudoun County Commuter Busses - Loudoun County Commuter Bus Service (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=785 - broken link)

Most commuter bus services are focused on getting you to Metro and/or downtown. Not sure if there is much for between Sterling and Herndon. If you do want to get downtown or to a metro, though - you might also consider the park and rides in herndon and reston. I used to catch a bus from Herndon/Monroe to WFC (it was a Fairfax Connector bus line) and it was very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia