Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:17 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times

Advertisements

How about the people struggling to find "diversity" in NoVa. I'll bet they can't name 3/4 of the Capitals of the countries where FCPS students come from.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
One of the things that bugs a lot of suburbanites from other cities (particularly Northern ones) who move to NoVA is that our inner suburbs for the most part lack charming historic cores. My own personal experience in this regard is mostly with the western and northern suburbs of Chicago, most of which started out (in the 19th c.) as small towns with little (19th c.) business districts of their own - these have largely become little community gathering places with both pedestrian (heh.. meaning both 'utilitarian' and 'you can walk there from some older residential neighborhoods') and upscale-ish retail and dining. These older communities also tend to have a grid layout of streets and wide bypasses for people who are just traversing the area and want to do so quickly. That's not to say that McMansions and such don't exist in suburban Chicago - but they tend to spring up in areas between the historic suburbs' cores (and also in the most far-flung spots, a la Loudoun -oh, and there's always some 'infill,' of course ). On the other hand, NoVA's few close-in historic (19th c. and prior) communities were very, very small.. basically, pit stops on country roads. Said country roads have now become NoVA's infamous semi-highways-as-parking-lots with strip malls that sprouted like weeds (as well as actual weeds, including in the medians! - that situation seems to be a little better this year than last, though) in the '60s-'80s (roughly speaking).

Add: in my previous paragraph, I'm obviously not talking about Alexandria, which is/was a *city* in its own right. I'm talking about small towns which have become suburbs.
The thing to remember though is that much of NOVA's suburbs are unincorporated and AFAIK resembled, say, western Loudoun County, as recently as 25-30 years ago. So besides the occasional incorporated cities like Alexandria as well as, for example, Arlington, Falls Church, Leesburg and Fredericksburg, NOVA was indeed lower-density suburban if not even "rural". Coming from another area whose suburban towns were usually well-defined, I can understand how that would help create more "Main Streets"...and how the lack of such defintion in NOVA would result in fewer natural town centers.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
One of my favorite opening lines is:

I just got a job in NoVA and I'm moving from Pennsylvania. I'd like to move very close to the Metro and my rent budget is about $1000 a month...

It always seems to be the Pennsylvanians that get the biggest sticker shock.
Those dang Pennsylvanians!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
How about the people struggling to find "diversity" in NoVa. I'll bet they can't name 3/4 of the Capitals of the countries where FCPS students come from.
I probably couldn't either...and I just took a Geography course not too long ago.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,340 times
Haha I moved to NoVA from the Philadelphia area 4 years ago without going to any boards or anything for advice. I think it's better that way, like almost "cold turkey"! lol. To be fair, I was moving to be with my husband who already lived in Manassas, so he kinda gave me tips on things, and he was holding his own apartment already. Okay, so I cheated a bit....

Old 05-06-2011, 01:49 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
That reminds me: I'm sick to death of hearing people berate, complain, and whine about civil servants.
Yeah. Kind of amazing that so many of them eventually move out to the private sector for like five times what they made while working for Uncle Sam.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
This is MY particular list. Feel free to add yours!

1. "Real estate is over-priced here!" And it's corollary "Why can't I afford a SFH in Great Falls with my first job out of college?"

Because homes are affordable in NYC, Boston, LA, San Diego, the Hamptons, Boulder, Paris, London, Tokyo, Lake Como, etc.

2. "People here are rude (or selfish or unfriendly, ad naseum)!"

Because whoever makes the remark is so obviously and clearly a uniquely polite, unselfish, friendly human being.

3. "I'm leaving here as soon as I get similar job elsewhere!"

Reminds me a little bit of "If GW Bush becomes president, I am going to Canada!" ("Er, so long as I can find a similar job there that pays the same").

4. "I left NoVA. Where I am now is a paradise in comparison!"

We're all glad for you! And please, by all means, keep coming back to NoVA forum and telling us how we live in a rotten place.

5. "I can't make friends here!"

Translation: "Strangers! Talk to me and amuse me! I can't make the effort to initiate!"

6. "Why doesn't everyone else in NoVA like urban living like I do? It's all a gigantic suburb!"

Usually from DC or NYC people who are apparently forced to be here.

7. "Why is everything being bulldozed, developed and turned into concrete and asphalt? You're ruining the the natural beauty of the area!"

Usually from rural VA people who are apparently forced to be here.

8. "Why does everyone like McMansions? You should live in a walkable townhome!"

Translation: "I can't buy a big home. But I hate that you can."

9. "Why do you live in a townhouse? You should buy a SFH!"

Translation: "I have more money than you, so kiss it!"

10. "You should not live in Loudon, Centerville, Prince Williams, etc."

Translation: "I am an expert of the area. If I don't know the names well enough after 30 years in the area, it's not worth living there."
I loved your post and gave you a rep point for it. One small thing, it's LOUDOUN county, two U's in the word. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:59 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yeah. Kind of amazing that so many of them eventually move out to the private sector for like five times what they made while working for Uncle Sam.
Really? Those in the government who make $50,000 go to the private sector and make $250,000? Or if they're making $100,000, they can do private and make $500,000? If that's true, then it's totally amazing we have ANYONE working for the government! My kid is totally wasting his time with Uncle Sam. Too bad the private sector has yet to offer him more money than the government. Please let us know how to get on the ''five times'' deal, he will be thrilled!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Really? Those in the government who make $50,000 go to the private sector and make $250,000? Or if they're making $100,000, they can do private and make $500,000? If that's true, then it's totally amazing we have ANYONE working for the government! My kid is totally wasting his time with Uncle Sam. Too bad the private sector has yet to offer him more money than the government. Please let us know how to get on the ''five times'' deal, he will be thrilled!
No problem. First, become a well-connected staffer on Capitol Hill, then turn yourself into a lobbyist. And do you think all those mining company exce's are now earning what they did while working in the Bush Interior Department? What percentage of commercial airline pilots do you think first flew in the military? These would all be examples of "people who are paid by the taxpayers to do virtually nothing, and have never, could never, and will never work in the private sector." At least, according to some.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
Have you checked the salaries at UAL, lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia