U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 7,380 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I will add these places to my areas of interest list. I can up my rent to $1500, but hopefully I wouldn't need to reach much higher.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on Crystal City or Pentagon City? Or other areas of South Arlington?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,021,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Thanks, I will add these places to my areas of interest list. I can up my rent to $1500, but hopefully I wouldn't need to reach much higher.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on Crystal City or Pentagon City? Or other areas of South Arlington?

Thanks again.
They're both walkable places although the neighborhood feel may not be as strong as in Old Town or Belle View. There's lots of retail in the area as well as your usually mid-to-upper-midscale chains.

Shirlington has a bit more of a "natural" neighborhood feel although it's quite a distance from Metrorail. However, a number of buses run through there to the Pentagon metro.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:45 PM

10 posts, read 12,887 times
I worked within a $1,100 budget for my move to Alexandria, and I am in a condo to boot. I spent about 2 and a half weeks doing research and booking appointments and got a great deal of help from this forum. My job starts at the end of may.

I am paying $1,100 + electric/gas for a condo between the springfield/bren mar park area. Safer part of town as well.

I would recommend upping your budget to around $1300 because it will be expected once you have all major utilities included (likely). Consider looking into a Realtor that is willing to work with you and your budget. I would suggest Deborah Alea and making some appointments through some craigslist condos you are interested in. Consider checking your prospective address versus crimereports.com if your worried about Crime. That was one of my biggest concerns with moving into the area. You can also check into some apartments in the Falls Church area for that price if you don't mind a bit of a commute.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the tips, everybody. I can see I'm going to need to pay more than I originally wanted, but it is worth it if I'm happy with my surroundings.

Old Town is looking very intriguing at this point.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,983,527 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips, everybody. I can see I'm going to need to pay more than I originally wanted, but it is worth it if I'm happy with my surroundings.

Old Town is looking very intriguing at this point.
Strongly suggest you go with that rather than Crystal or Pentagon Cities. You'll find Old Town much more pleasant than living in a high rise concrete jungle.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm really glad to hear this. I'm definitely a patio/yard/green grass kind of guy. High rises are not my style. Life is too short...I will pay extra for quality of living.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:25 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,983,527 times
Quote:
I'm really glad to hear this. I'm definitely a patio/yard/green grass kind of guy. High rises are not my style. Life is too short...I will pay extra for quality of living.
I rode my bike up the Mount Vernon trail and into town today. It was delightful.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM

I ride a road bike. Is the trail paved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or