U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 02:55 PM

10 posts, read 7,394 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to NOVA this summer and working in Alexandria. I'm not familiar with the area and I could use any good advice you can share.

About me: Male, 31, single, have a dog, want to rent but not with roomates, live a very active lifestyle, earning about $50K before taxes/ins., interested in active & single women, I want to live within a short driving distance to work and wouldn't mind being within 20 minutes walk to metro

I'd really like to find a place to rent under $1100/mo. (not including utilities)

As I said, I don't know the area. Is it realistic I may find a place to live that meets my description and interests, or even comes close? What are some places you recommend I look into?

I appreciate any advice! Thank you.

HD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 03:02 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
Old Town would be the best place to live. Looks like there are some in that price range that are dog friendly:

washington, DC apts/housing for rent classifieds "old town alexandria" - craigslist

Old Town has lots of single women and relatively fewer single guys so you'll have your pick. You can meet a bunch on the Mount Vernon Trail and down at the dog park. Dogs make phenomenal conversation starters.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Thank you for the great advice and suggestions. I will look into Old Town.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Thank you for the great advice and suggestions. I will look into Old Town.
Where in town will your job be?

Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 PM

5,334 posts, read 6,143,884 times
Just be aware that most of those on that Craigslist search sample are actually located in Landmark or Van Dorn, not Old Town. Some are Sheffield Court in Arlington! Most of the Old Town ones are above $1500 for a studio, even though the search filter specifies less, except for the one at Green and Patrick St. That's probably a 20 minute walk to King St Metro. And watch out for the terms of the Calvert in Del Ray - it's going into redevelopment (turning condo?) and no leases go beyond November 2011 and everyone will have to move out. I don't think it will be easy to find an Old Town place for $1100 unless it's a fluke, or a sketchy area.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Then he should find a girl as fast as he can who's at the end of her own lease. Pay the extra for the first couple months till he finds one then when she splits the $1,500 with him he'll end up under budget. Either that or the dog's gonna need to get a job.

Seems kind of crazy that a studio goes for $1,500 when you can go down the parkway and get a giant 4 bedroom house with a yard for the dog for about double that. I think I'd rather get a roommate and a car and (literally) live large.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Between Fairlington and Potomac. I'll be able to drive to DCA in ten minutes or less. It doesn't look to be very far from Old Town.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 PM

All good advice. I will have to try my luck with Old Town, but if I find it to be too expensive where should my next best area of interest be? You guys seem to know the area well enough.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:23 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,091,310 times
I might recommend Belle Haven Towers located just outside the city but in the (unincorporated) Alexandria section of Fairfax County. Rent should be in your range and it's a short walk to the Huntington Metro station. You'll also be a short drive to the Mount Vernon trail. and just moments away from the Beltway (I-495).

The flipside is that the area isn't particularly walkable although there should be plenty of room on the property to walk your dog. (Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if BHT accepts pets.) The units are said to be not as updated as other nearby high-rises.

Upping your rent range to $1300 might put you in line to rent a low-rise condo in the Belle View area (east of BHT and just south of Old Town), an apartment in Hunting Towers (towards the southern end of Old Town) or a unit in Foxchase (a 15 minute drive/bus ride from the King Street Metro station). IMO $1500 is a starting point for a moderately new or well-maintained property in a convenient location.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Upping your rent range to $1300 might put you in line to rent a low-rise condo in the Belle View area (east of BHT and just south of Old Town
That would be a great place to live. It's an easy walk to the shopping center and the Mount Vernon Trail. A bit further walk or bike ride would be the shops and restaurants in South Old Town. To me, it's more aesthetically pleasing than a high rise, with lots of trees and grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or