Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,804 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am planning a move to NOVA In late June early July. I have been reading a lot of threads posted but since each case is different, and you guys have been able to help a million before me, I was hoping I would be able to get the same.

Stats/Factors:
- I will be working near McLean, Langley area. I am used to driving 30 minutes to work - while living only 6 miles from work (yay west coast). Something similar or shorter/quicker is preferred.

- I am in my mid-late 20s. Single guy, professional. Not to much in the party/club/bar scene, but extremely social and love to hang around like minded people. Also involved in a lot of social sports leagues, recreational clubs (biking, motorcycle, bowling, ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, kickball, softball, basketball, etc). Would like to meet other like minded individuals - as I wont know anyone once I move there.

- And I am single, so a place to meet quality single women.

- Cost, I have been craigslisting a lot. I like to live alone, so a one bedroom, no roommates is the ideal situation for me. Most places I have been looking at at 1300-1450. Although, it is twice the cost of what i pay for rent here, I guess thats what the move brings. Something cheaper would be great too. I dont want to do a converted basement though.

- Safe and friendly environment.

The places I have considered are Falls Church, Ballston, Tysons Square, Dupont Circle, Bailey's Crossroads, McLean (Post Corner apartments).

Any additional help/resources are appreciated. and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
Tysons and Mclean are a bit dull in the evenings if you're looking for activities and social meet ups. Most of that is going to be in Arlington/Alexandria/DC. Someone can probably prove me wrong and pull up a handful of meetup.com groups that are located in McLean, but they'll be few and far between.

The prices you're seeing are about right. You don't really want to go any lower, or I'd wonder seriously what was wrong with the place. There are no great steals on housing here--you get what you pay for.

Have you had a chance to visit at all? I ask because the areas you're looking at are drastically different from one another. If you visit and walk around at all, I think you'll be able to narrow your list quickly. Ballston is centered around high rises with older neighborhoods behind, Bailey's is shopping centers and strip malls, Tysons is a business area, Falls Church (the city) is a cute little neighborhood, Dupont is the city. Depends what you want.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

No, I havent had a chance to visit any of these places yet. I was hoping to just do some research on a few of these places, narrow it down to a few area that I would like to see and make appointments with apartment complexes in those areas during a weekend, and knock the whole thing out in one weekend. Then decide where I want to sign the lease.

This is part of that preliminary research.

As far as descriptions of the places, I appreciate. I didnt know they were different places. I am just going off based on recommendations from friends who at one point lived in DC or visited for a quarter or two while they were in school. I will have to consider where I would like to stay. I have never lived in a High-rise, but i dont think I am opposed to it, as long as its not super noisy. I also assume this would be a great way to meet individuals and have company during a grueling winter month or two?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayp View Post
I am used to driving 30 minutes to work - while living only 6 miles from work (yay west coast). Something similar or shorter/quicker is preferred.
Don't be surprised if you encounter the same here. My commute of 4 miles takes between 15 to 25 minutes (lots of traffic lights in my case).

Quote:
The places I have considered are Falls Church, Ballston, Tysons Square, Dupont Circle, Bailey's Crossroads, McLean (Post Corner apartments).
Falls Church: an actual town (city, to be exact, but small) with a town atmosphere, unlike a lot of suburban Northern Virginia. Should be a reasonable commute to McLean/Langley. Various back ways to get between the two, as well as the conventional route. Falls Church has restaurants, some live music venues (State Theater and others), shopping. Major shopping mall Tysons Corner is nearby. Two Metrorail stations at opposite ends of town. Good place, but maybe more attractive to families. Hopefully others will give more details about life in Falls Church (been a long time since I lived there).

Ballston: Part of the very popular-among-young-singles north Arlington corridor that has several Orange Line metro stations running along it. You won't use Metrorail to work, but you could use it to go into DC. I think there's more of a social scene around Clarendon and Courthouse (also along Orange Line), but Ballston seems popular too (it was dull when I lived there in the late 90's and Clarendon was the place to be). You could get to work by driving north on Glebe and get on Chain Bridge road to McLean.

Tysons Square: I'm not familiar with the "Square", only Tyson's Corner area in general. Lots of traffic, not pedestrian-friendly. Wouldn't bother unless you find a rent that's really attractive compared to other areas, or the quick commute to work is really a higher priority than other things.

Dupont Circle: In Washington, DC, whereas the others are in Virginia. I really like it, I lived near there. City living, live without a car. Except you'll be working in McLean, oops! The commute to McLean wouldn't be worth it. Live in NoVa and visit Dupont Circle (and the rest of DC) for fun. There is one area I'd consider given your job location, if you really wanted to live in DC, and that's the Palisades area along MacArthur Blvd, very close to Chain Bridge into VA. I'm not saying to do that, but thought I'd point it out. It lacks Metrorail, whereas several of the mentioned NoVa locations have it, so another plus for living in NoVa.

Bailey's Crossroads: The only attraction I can think of is potentially lower rents. Very congested main roads running through it (Route 7 moreso than Columbia Pike). Old strip malls. Lots of older garden-style apartments. Lots of ethnic food, but you get that in many places in NoVa. Busy, not pedestrian-friendly.

McLean: Makes the most sense given your work location. I don't see it as all that interesting, not much there, mostly residential. McLean could possibly be more serene and less of the hubbub that more urban places have going on and maybe you'd like those surroundings for your living space, and then go out to the more busy places for your free time.

Good luck!

Last edited by robbobobbo; 05-11-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM

What are your thoughts about "Columbia Pike" Neighborhood. Seems like rent is $200 cheaper. is it just a crappy neighborhood. Should I just fork out $1600 a month to live in Ballston just to be on the safe side , or can I get an apartment in a decent neighborhood, near Ballston (or singles-young professional scene) and pay $1250-1400. (1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, no roommates)<br><br>

Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
Friends of mine live in the Falls Church area of FFX County. Off of Route 50, inside the Beltway. Cheaper than Mclean, probably nicer than the Columbia Pike area. Lots of immigrants, and not cheap by any means. Very doable, and some decent bars, etc., and very easy access to DC. With the money you saved by not living in Ballston, you could pay for lots of entertainment. I agree with Caliterp that McLean/Tysons is boring in the evenings. If the new Metro was already open, that would certainly change the equation.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Columbia Pike is very long, stretches from south Arlington to Annandale, goes through Bailey's Crossroads, with lots of apartments along the way. What part of it are you considering?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Quote:
Should I just fork out $1600 a month to live in Ballston just to be on the safe side
Yes - you will most likely be happiest there based on your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia