U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times

Advertisements

What are some popular radio stations in the area....what kind of music?

Is there a theme when you flip around the dial....certain types of music (or even talk radio or other themes) that you notice more than others?

Equally does it change those closer you get towards DC? How so? How about differences going out to Leesburg or down to Fredericksburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,086,546 times
With Ipods does anyone even listen to commercial radio in the car anymore? From what I remember, it was awful around here.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,911,006 times
I haven't listened to a radio station for music in years and couldn't tell you what music is offered these days. We sometimes listen to the news. FWIW our current i-pod playlist mostly includes classic rock, alternative, and some jazz (as long as it has a lot of sax).

Last edited by Caladium; 05-14-2011 at 05:34 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,645,444 times
My car presets are DC101 (rock), 94.7 Fresh-FM (adult contemporary?), Mix 107.3 (adult contemporary?), 88.5 (NPR), 92.5 WINC-FM (adult contemporary broadcast from Winchester), and WTOP (news/traffic/weather). If there's nothing on those, sometimes I'll flip over to Hot 99.5 (top 40) if I'm feeling young, or 97.1 WASH-FM (soft rock) if I'm feeling old. DC also has a couple of hip-hop/R&B stations, a country station, an oldies station, a classic rock station, and a classical station. That's just FM; I'm not too familiar with the AM options. We don't have a "mix" station like JACK-FM, though there is one in Baltimore. There used to be a great alternative station here (99.1 HFS) but now it's a Spanish music station.

Unfortunately there are times when the adult contemporary stations are all playing the same song or artist. They all have the same playlists, although I do tend to like WINC's mix better. WINC's signal is crazy strong but I don't know how close to DC proper it reaches. I don't remember being able to pick it up when I lived in Falls Church.

I do have an iPod, a CD changer, and even a cassette player in my car. But I like radio - I do occasionally hear new music I wouldn't have heard otherwise.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 AM

384 posts, read 901,709 times
Default They love their NPR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What are some popular radio stations in the area....what kind of music?

Is there a theme when you flip around the dial....certain types of music (or even talk radio or other themes) that you notice more than others?

Equally does it change those closer you get towards DC? How so? How about differences going out to Leesburg or down to Fredericksburg.
Based on my extensive use of the local taxis and observer of tote bags, I found NPR, WTOP(news), and Gospel/Religous stations are quite popular. People of NOVA love their public radio tote bags.

Based on observation as a carpooler on 395, I think alot of commuters in this area have satellite radio or listen to their IPODS.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM

564 posts, read 1,277,772 times
Hardly ever touch the radio. I actually still put these circular pieces of plastic into this slot in my car stereo, they are called "Compact Discs". The vehicle used to be ipod compatible too until the cassette player broke.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 AM

23,638 posts, read 33,434,470 times
When I lived there, most of the time the radio was on 104.1 which was playing gospel music and holy hip hop. Other times I played my burnt CDs. I was never impressed with the hip hop stations there like 93.9 and 95.5 since they played Lil Wayne (the most overrated rapper in history). Now Louisville's radio stations flat out suck, so I play my burnt CDs 24/7 in the car (mostly old rap songs and gospel). If I could afford it, I'd get XM radio.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,380,192 times
XM and NPR. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same here as everywhere else. There used to be local beers and local radio stations. Both are pretty much a thing of the past. Free markets breed concentration and sameness, not competition and diversity.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,580,300 times
I find a lot of people here listen to NPR, which I never experienced other places I lived.

My presets are 94.7 (contemporary), 99.5 (top 40), 101.1 (rock), 101.5 (contemporary out of fredericksburg, I think), and 107.3 (contemporary). I also have 91.9 (dc) and 95.1 (baltimore) Christian radio stations on speed dial.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,079,978 times
I don't know. I think its an individual thing. I listen to the two hip hop stations WPGC and WKYS I can't tell the difference between them they're just stations 1 and 2 on my station presets. I also like to listen to 99.5 in the mornings. I have an npr app on my iPhone so have never listened to the actual station.

I would say my taste change depending on the flow of traffic. If traffic is flowing smoothly I like fast dance type songs whether its hip hop on 93.9 or pop on 99.5. If I'm stuck in traffic where actual movement is only a fantasy, then I like to listen to an npr podcast on the iPhone or maybe the news station WTOP. There's something about the sound of someone's voice that gets my mind off the traffic and calms my road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or