Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM

127 posts, read 355,605 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to stop people from putting flyers on my mailbox?
While I don't mind getting one or two per week, lately it's been crazy. 4 flyers when I got home Thursday. And what really upsets me - last week one of the flyers stuck to the metal of the mailbox, so now I'll have to sand and paint it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Let me guess: They are cleaning services and/or landscapers, right? SO frustrating. I want to report them all for mail fraud.

You can report them to the post office, as the have the following law on their books

"1.3Use for Mail

Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 AM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
As annoying as that is, it is even worse when these solicitors decide to walk right onto your property to leave a flyer wedged into the front door. And it is even worse when, instead of walking up the sidewalk or driveway to the front door of each house on the street, they save some time by cutting across your garden or lawn to go from house to house. I know they are just looking for work, but the total lack of respect for people's property annoys me to no end, especially when the lawn's just been reseeded. I believe there is some information on the Fairfax County Police website about how to report unlicensed solicitors.

And don't get me started on those idiots who deliver the unasked-for Examiner newspaper. It took about six phone calls to their circulation desk, and finally a letter to the publisher, to get them to stop randomly tossing a copy of that rag (no self-respecting dead fish would let itself be wrapped in the Examiner) into my driveway.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I hate any of those fliers and freebie newspapers. There is no way to stop them if you go out of town and they just pile up. You can do everything in the world to make it look like someone is at home with timers, holding your mail and subscribed newspapers... but those fliers and freebies ruin it. And the bags the freebie papers come in aren't even good enough to pick up dog poo... they are thin and have holes in them.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Ugh, I hate it also when you come out of a shopping center (or even work) and there are tons of flyers under your windshield wipers. Really? That irks me. Also as ICS67 said, having the flyers wedged in your front door or door handle. Cutting across the lawn makes me want to explode, trampling on our just mowed grass and tracking the scraps all over our porch - that happened to us in March! So disrespectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia