Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
First, I was making a joke, hence the sarcasm. Second, you have no idea what you're talking about if you think stores like South Moon Under, Neiman Marcus, and Lou Lou are small retailers.
Nieman is hipster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
It is not a regular Neiman Marcus at Merrifield, but a Last Call. It's not the same target demo as the main store, upscale outlet, but not a stand alone Neiman Marcus. It looks good, but I wonder about the traffic on Gallows and Lee as the intersection is improved, but with all the new trips, it could make for an intersection that will remain congested.

As to pedestrians, the development itself is friendly, but the surrounding roads will need improvement, depending upon what is next to develop on adjacent parcels.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM

136 posts, read 222,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Nieman is hipster?
Nope, at least not that I know of. But I'm sure they'll sell expensive scarves.

Sigh. I was just making a joke that the stores tend to sell expensive accessories. And then I mentioned Neiman's specifically as a store that would sell such items, but is hardly a small retailer. As mentioned above, this Neiman's is actually an outlet store so they will be selling stuff that were in the regular store last season.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Nope, at least not that I know of. But I'm sure they'll sell expensive scarves.

Sigh. I was just making a joke that the stores tend to sell expensive accessories. And then I mentioned Neiman's specifically as a store that would sell such items, but is hardly a small retailer. As mentioned above, this Neiman's is actually an outlet store so they will be selling stuff that were in the regular store last season.

I gotcha.

The word "hipster" is used to such an extent as an all around attack word, with so many different meanings (folks with tight jeans who drink PBR? any young educated person who lives in a city? anyone with aesthetic preferences vis a vis walking or architecture?, etc) some of us are sensitized to it.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I gotcha.

The word "hipster" is used to such an extent as an all around attack word, with so many different meanings (folks with tight jeans who drink PBR? any young educated person who lives in a city? anyone with aesthetic preferences vis a vis walking or architecture?, etc) some of us are sensitized to it.
I see. I had no idea that the word was insulting and personally don't consider it that way. I guess I just view it as a word to describe a current (well somewhat current) trend. But if I HAD to describe it, I would also add black plastic-rimmed glasses, a knit cap, woven scarf, and vintage shirt.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
The hipsters aren't what I would be concerned about. This Mosaic District seems more marketed to the popped-collar, G-Town bar-hopping, preppie/yuppie Rosslyn-Ballston corridor crowd. Which is a shame, since I'm sure there are at least a few more young people beside myself who can't stand the yuppie/preppy/hipster snobbery and douchebaggery that tends to come with every urbanized neighborhood within DC and the inner beltway towns, but don't want to be stuck in a typical suburban environment to escape smug. Fairfax County can make a killing attracting these young people (like myself) who want to live the urbanized lifestyle but with more of a modest down-to-earth middle class vibe. Rockville Town Center, and to a lesser extent, Reston Town Center, are the closest examples of this, but those are more of the exceptions than the norm.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM

The public sector can influence the physical shape of development, but the details of retail are certaily in the sphere of the private sector.

as long as TOD is scarce and priced at a premium, its going to be marketed to those with high incomes, and with the greatest need/desire to be in a high density area. Thats only like to change when TOD becomes less scarce, because we provide more of it. The new TOD will still not be cheap (because new multifamily housing is relatively costly to build, even after we reduce the location premium) but older high density housing stock (now priced high due to demand by slightly less affluent folks priced out of the new stuff) should become more affordable.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Theres nothing that says it will be only upper middle class aimed stores. I dont really want to get into a fight about this, but that corridor has always been a bastion for ethnic and diverse small businesses, and there is nothing in the way Mosaic is being done that will change that fabric. Will they start off as partial anchor stores in order to create a solid retail core and recoup cost? Yes, thats the case with anything that is new, money doesnt grow on trees and developers need to be paid back for the hundreds in millions they put in; hence the target and high end retailers.

I am still against the target (as I am with "high end retailers" that sell cheap goods like Bulova etc at ridiculous markups), seeing as there is one all of 3 miles away on route 50 at 7 corners. They are magnets for traffic havoc, they discourage walking for shopping inherently in their nature, and they use up the same space as 30 small businesses that could be doing the same type of sales and keeping that money circulating in our region instead of in the hands of a multi-national corporation that has no affiliation here. When you buy from local stores that dollar you spend is recycled 75 times more than buying from mega-stores. And yes, small businesses DO sell better goods because their reputation is everything. One upset customer could mean their entire business goes under from bad word of mouth.

If supporting someone who is actually a member of our society, running a store in this model, is being a hipster then hand me a pair of those idiotic glasses and cotton scarves and start calling me a hipster I suppose.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Theres nothing that says it will be only upper middle class aimed stores. I dont really want to get into a fight about this, but that corridor has always been a bastion for ethnic and diverse small businesses, and there is nothing in the way Mosaic is being done that will change that fabric. Will they start off as partial anchor stores in order to create a solid retail core and recoup cost? Yes, thats the case with anything that is new, money doesnt grow on trees and developers need to be paid back for the hundreds in millions they put in; hence the target and high end retailers.

I am still against the target (as I am with "high end retailers" that sell cheap goods like Bulova etc at ridiculous markups), seeing as there is one all of 3 miles away on route 50 at 7 corners. They are magnets for traffic havoc, they discourage walking for shopping inherently in their nature, and they use up the same space as 30 small businesses that could be doing the same type of sales and keeping that money circulating in our region instead of in the hands of a multi-national corporation that has no affiliation here. When you buy from local stores that dollar you spend is recycled 75 times more than buying from mega-stores. And yes, small businesses DO sell better goods because their reputation is everything. One upset customer could mean their entire business goes under from bad word of mouth.

If supporting someone who is actually a member of our society, running a store in this model, is being a hipster then hand me a pair of those idiotic glasses and cotton scarves and start calling me a hipster I suppose.
Look, I actually like Mosaic and am excited about it. My point was that it seems like most of the stores were high end/trendy so it would be nice to mix in some other types of stores as well. But you seemed to take my comment as an attack on small local businesses (which they are not) and support for multinational conglomerates. At this point, Target seems to be the only store in the development selling clothes at a moderate price range. If there was a way to keep those prices through small local businesses then I'd be all for it. But it seems like if Target wasn't there, I bet the space would go to similar retailers like Anthropologie, and not local small businesses. Sometimes people just want a t-shirt for 10 bucks and only Target would provide that in Mosaic.

I'm not necessarily against the high end stores in Mosaic either. Whether it's high end or moderate, I would just like to see more choices.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM

new construction is costly - I guess this applies to retail as well. So the retailers going in are mostly going to high end, or chains with very "efficient" supply chains. Cheap indie stores (which I guess would draw the kind of people I think the word "hipster" applies to better) thrive where aging real estate means lower commercial rents. Its simply not possible to build actual old buildings from scratch. So you can wait till these new developments age, or you can go to the neighborhoods that can accommodate cheaper indie stores.

As for Target, it seems to be that for better or worse large chain discount stores are part of our retail picture for some time. WRT to development, I will judge each store by its layout, ped friendly or not, and its results. I wouldnt assume the Mosaic Target will have the same modal mix as other Targets (similarly I will judge each of the new DC Walmarts on their own) As for labor and sourcing practices, I am concerned about those, but I see them as seperate issues.

As a matter of urbanism you could establish rules to encourage more small stores, but I think FCM is correct, in a new development like this that would mean more high end stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia