U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,686,410 times

Advertisements

was there recently.

1. Its not THAT far from the metro. I walked it to Target from the metro in 15 minutes, and I don't walk that fast (some young fellow was going faster than me) I understand rules of thumb for TOD put that at the outer edge, but I personally find the distance "Walkable". Parts of the way along Gallows leave something to be desired, but mostly its not a bad walk by NoVa standards.

2. The place itself looks attractive, nice "urban" (yeah I know FFX calls it a "suburban center" but I think thats to distinguish the zoning from Tysons) feel.

3. Rte 29 crossing is definitely an issue. Its a shame, Mosaic doesnt have to be an "island" since its at least adjacent to the stuff near Dunn Loring, but that highway is a barrier. And no, building a ped bridge across it won't be a great solution. At a minimum better ped treatment at the interesection (coming already?) and ultimately, maybe, a road diet for route 29. But that will need both a local embrace of a new paradigm, and VDOT to change. Untill that happens the full potential of Mosaic will not be realized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM

298 posts, read 596,256 times
Wow, I didn't know anything at all about this place. I saw this thread title but figured it was some sort of Loudoun County development (like One Loudoun or Kincora) so I hadn't read this until now. I will have to check it out. A decent, relatively nearby Target and an organic market would be awesome!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 AM

301 posts, read 586,283 times
My wife and I were there last weekend and we were impressed! The parking was great as the garage uses the intelligent parking system. We went to Angelika to see "Argo" (great movie btw) and the theater is VERY NICE. I had a beer while my wife had a glass of wine while watching the movie...and while we didn't eat there, the theater also offers some food options that looked delicious (not just your standard movie theater fare). We'll definitely go back soon.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM

143 posts, read 291,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
My wife and I were there last weekend and we were impressed! The parking was great as the garage uses the intelligent parking system. We went to Angelika to see "Argo" (great movie btw) and the theater is VERY NICE. I had a beer while my wife had a glass of wine while watching the movie...and while we didn't eat there, the theater also offers some food options that looked delicious (not just your standard movie theater fare). We'll definitely go back soon.
How much are the movie tickets?
I haven't checked it out because I just assumed Angelika would be pricier than say, Tyson's or Ballston.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM

301 posts, read 586,283 times
It's not cheap...$13. But when factoring in proximity to our home, how nice the theater is, beer/wine/gourmet foods, and not having to contend with large groups of teenagers hanging out, I think it's well worth the price.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM

143 posts, read 291,099 times
Just an FYI for any moviegoers...Thursday is Baby Boomer day and tickets are only $7. It's 55+, or you could just do what I did: perch a pair of reading glasses on the tip of your nose...works every time!
You also get a coupon for a free popcorn with a drink purchase. On other days the matinee price is $11.
I saw Argo...very good movie!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM

154 posts, read 351,753 times
Default Apartments

Does anyone know what happened to the apartments that were suppose to be built in the Mosaic District. My husband and I went to the theatre there this weekend, we saw the Hyatt and the construction for townhomes but nothing about the apartments.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM

76 posts, read 352,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the apartments that were suppose to be built in the Mosaic District. My husband and I went to the theatre there this weekend, we saw the Hyatt and the construction for townhomes but nothing about the apartments.

The apartment complex is right behind the movie theather. They are building it now; you can't miss those constuction cranes. It will be six or seven stories with retail on the first floor. Contruction on this complex should be completed by summer of 2013 for a late summer early fall occupancy. The fenced-in area across from the movie theater next to the radio tower is another apartment complex. It will also be six or seven stories with retail on first floor. Construction for this complex starts in the spring of 2013. Both buildings will have modern facade.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM

154 posts, read 351,753 times
Do you know the name of them?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM

76 posts, read 352,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
Do you know the name of them?
The one they are currently building is called Mosaic Avalon. Avalon apartment is the builder/owner. The one next to the movie theater is owned my Mill Creek development. They are currenlty building apartments and a Harris Teeter next to the Dunn Loring metro. Also there is another building that is in construction that is off Prosperity ave near the metro. This one is scheduled to be available for occupany next summer. The building is called Prosperity Flats. HITT is the owner. The building is 11 stories with brick facade.
Also, one more that I know off. The location of this complex is off Merrilee drive across from Home Depot. I dont knowthe builder or name. It is currently in zoning approval process

Also if many of you are wondering whats up with the delayed openings. Sources told me that a lot of stores are eager to open on time but Faifax County permit issuing department is the culprit.

Hope this helps

Last edited by LogSS; 11-26-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia