Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times

Advertisements

Parents employed full-time with preschool children will be using a daycare center, so they wouldn't be using another program. Or they'll have an in-home daycare provider or a nanny, who would be free to choose whether to bring the child to a program.

School-age children with full-time employed parents would be staying at school for childcare; or going to a center that picks up the children by van from school; or going to a home-based provider; or going to a nanny; or going home alone and unable to drive themselves to an activity. Again, the center would be providing the activities, or the individual provider could take the child to the activities.

In the summer there are also a multitude of all-day camps. A lot of them run a regular program from 9:00 to 3:00 but they add on 7:00 to 9:00 am and 3:00 to 6:00 pm for an extra charge. That way people can take their pick of the length of time that works for them and their children. Plus there are the daycare centers and school SACC programs. They may fill up early but they exist.

As for events being held during the school day, that's because they're school events. When they're held in the evening (and many are), teachers and administrators have to work the extra time and take time away from their own families.

As for the Girl Scouts and soccer, that's up to the parents to decide. Any parent can volunteer to be a leader, and create a troop that meets at night. Or ask the existing group if they would like to change the meeting time. Some of our GS troops met after school because the mothers who volunteered were available then and it saved the parents the need to get their children home from school and then back again and home again. We did have a troop leader mom who was employed full-time and scheduled the meetings in the evening. But then some parents complained that they had worked all day and needed the evening for spending time with the children they hadn't seen, dinner together, homework, etc., and were too tired to do the driving back and forth. (All understandable.) One of our Cub Scout troops met after school because moms were the leaders. But the others met at night because the leaders were dads who were employed full-time and that's when they could do it.

Likewise, anyone is welcome to organize a mom's group that meets in the evenings and/or weekends. If they're meeting in the daytime it means someone available during the daytime took the initiative to set it up then, and enough people were available then to attend. That doesn't mean someone else can't take the initiative to set up a group that meets at night and find members who prefer that time as well.

Soccer and other outdoor sports need to be done in daylight. Not a problem in June, but with a season that might run from March to June or September to November, that needs to be taken into consideration. Some fields are lit but most aren't and there aren't enough fields to go around anyhow so scheduling is tight. I personally would rather have team practices right after school to free up the evening but I understand that a lot of parents wouldn't be home to bring their children then so I accept that very few will begin before 6:00 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Since I am a SAHM, I generally meet mostly other SAHMs, so my take on it is probably skewed. It seems to me that most families with young children have one stay-at-home parent. AS the kids enter elementary school, more moms seem to go back to work. Most families where both parents work have kids stay after school for SACC or some other child-care program. So when the activities are after school, it seems to work better for working parents as Yankeesfan said. When the activity is done, the child goes back to SACC.

Our school also alternates PTA meetings. I think they try to make it convenient for everyone to be able to attend at least some of the meetings. That's my take on it anyway. But I have noticed that the school sometimes holds meetings during the day - our school did when they had a meeting for parents whose kids got into the GT program. I think they should at least try to do those types of meetings early in the day or late in the day so someone who works far away can go into work late or come home early rather than leave in the middle of the day.

I find soccer practice to be hit or miss. My daughter's team practices at 6 PM which is convenient for my husband (who works full-time) to take her. On the other hand, my friend's daughter's team meets at 4:30 PM. That's very inconvenient for two-working parent families. Generally, though, you can switch teams if practice times don't work for you.

In our school, we have two Girl Scout troops for my older daughter's grade. One meets right after school, and one meets at night (my troop). The one that meets right after school has more working moms. I liked the night time troop because I don't want to have to take my younger kids to all of the meetings. That was the only way I would commit to being one of the troop leaders. Anyway, whether you work full-time or stay-at-home full time, I find it difficult to keep up with all the activities. Kids these days are in many more activities than I was when I was younger.

ETA: I find most camps to be from 9 am until 3:00 or 4:00 PM. Many have before care or after care. There are some morning camps that are 9:00 until noon or from 1:00-4:00. I guess few households with two full-time working parents would take advantage of half-day camps.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:07 PM

505 posts, read 765,210 times
From what I have seen, there are not that many "full time" stay at home parents, but a large number of people who either work part-time, telecommute, or have very flexible schedules. This may explain some people's ability to do activities right after school or to send their kids to camp for a few hours in the middle of the day.

My impression is that as you get closer to DC, the percentage of stay at home parents decreases. This makes sense since presumably these two income families would be better able to afford the real estate prices and a shorter commute would be more important if both parents are working full time and paying someone else by the hour to watch their kids.

It would be interesting if anyone has statistics for the numbers of stay at home parents in NoVA vs other areas.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
From what I have seen, there are not that many "full time" stay at home parents, but a large number of people who either work part-time, telecommute, or have very flexible schedules. This may explain some people's ability to do activities right after school or to send their kids to camp for a few hours in the middle of the day.

My impression is that as you get closer to DC, the percentage of stay at home parents decreases. This makes sense since presumably these two income families would be better able to afford the real estate prices and a shorter commute would be more important if both parents are working full time and paying someone else by the hour to watch their kids.

It would be interesting if anyone has statistics for the numbers of stay at home parents in NoVA vs other areas.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I live 15 miles from the Capitol and our neighborhood is full of stay at home parents (moms and dads). The closer in communities tend to have older parents (most in my neighborhood even with small kids are in their 40s) who've figured out how to arrange things so a parent is around most or all of the time.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true. I live 15 miles from the Capitol and our neighborhood is full of stay at home parents (moms and dads). The closer in communities tend to have older parents (most in my neighborhood even with small kids are in their 40s) who've figured out how to arrange things so a parent is around most or all of the time.
So does that mean that a parent is a true "stay at home parent", or just that they have flexible schedules (one works 6 am- 2 pm, other works noon-8 pm) or works from home? I've never really considered anyone who "works part time", "works from home" or just works a schedule opposite of their spouse to be a "stay at home parent".

Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
The term "stay at home mom" always irked me.
As if I were chained to our four walls all day!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 PM

204 posts, read 666,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

I have to wonder who exactly is buying those 3-4 hour camps in the middle of a summer afternoon. Must be the folks that have nannies and can afford them. They aren't convenient at all for working parents and from what I am reading here they are cost prohibitive for families with a stay-at-home-parent. I have seen the camps and such with before and after care--I like those. But there seem to just be a lot more without that option. Then again, the grass is always greener, right?
I've got my kids signed up for several weeks of those half-day camps this summer. I am a non-working parent/spouse and don't have a nanny. Not sure what is considered cost prohibitive to most folks, but the prices range from $100/week for art (1/2 day), to $185 for soccer (1/2 day). I also have an 2 week all-day theater camp scheduled and a sleep-away camp (one week) scheduled for my older child.

I have two kids who would go nuts being off from school for 10 weeks straight. Throw a week-long family vacation in there and hopefully we'll survive the summer!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
So does that mean that a parent is a true "stay at home parent", or just that they have flexible schedules (one works 6 am- 2 pm, other works noon-8 pm) or works from home? I've never really considered anyone who "works part time", "works from home" or just works a schedule opposite of their spouse to be a "stay at home parent".
Does it matter what the labels are?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Isn't "parent who stays at home with the children" self-explanatory?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Is there such thing as a true "stay at home parent"? Most go various places during the day, sometimes involving work related activities. What's with the labels? It's not black and white but a spectrum of work/home arrangements. A lot of people only go into an office once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia