U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to Haymarket with my wife (works from home) and my 2 young kids. Also looking at a job in the town of Fairfax and wondering what the commute will be like and any related advice. I've seen similar posts but looking for updated info. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:30 PM

93 posts, read 239,063 times
Default HayMarket to Fairfax

It depends where in Fairfax. The furhter east you go into Fairfax the longer the commute. If you are going all the way to Fairfax City, it is easily 1 hour. If you have a HYBRID, it is 1/2 of an hour (HOV lanes help out). Your basic issue is US 66 eastbound in the rush, it is as bad and worse than what you have been told.

Good luck

Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM

504 posts, read 651,347 times
What will your work hours be? The commute is much less if you are commuting off peak.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,848,555 times
Are you talking about the City of Fairfax or Fairfax County? Makes a difference on the answer.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM

371 posts, read 730,865 times
It also depends on what hour you will be commuting. I leave my house at 5:30 and it takes about 40 to 45 minutes to get to alexandria. In the afternoon, I leave at 3:00 and get home in 50 min to an hour.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,862,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingRaleigh View Post
I'm looking at moving to Haymarket with my wife (works from home) and my 2 young kids. Also looking at a job in the town of Fairfax and wondering what the commute will be like and any related advice. I've seen similar posts but looking for updated info. thanks!
Haymarket will be a hike, but if you're working in Fairfax City it won't be too too bad if you can leave between 6-7.

The hybrid exemption is closed to new people unfortunately.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM

24 posts, read 107,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Haymarket will be a hike, but if you're working in Fairfax City it won't be too too bad if you can leave between 6-7.

The hybrid exemption is closed to new people unfortunately.

Not true. It is still on until June 30th. You have to appliy for clean fuel tag by the last day in June. After that, no more new hybrids will qualify.

My husband commutes from Haymarket into DC proper. Some days it is 45-50 mins and others it is 1:30 mins. Totally depends on the day and the traffic. He says that if he leaves home anytime after 7:30, the traffic is much worse. He is usually out the door by 7:20 every morning. He does use the HOV lanes though. That makes a HUGE difference in commute times.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,839 times
I appreciate the replies.

This would be a commute from Haymarket to the western side of the city of Fairfax and a typical kind of flexible day job starting between 7ish to 9ish and ending anywhere between 3 and 6pm.

As for the hybrid exemption, does that mean that if I get an approved hybrid and a special tag before June 30, that I will be able to use HOV indefinitely? I misunderstood it to mean that all hybrids would not be allowed to use it after June 30 2011. That would be great!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:36 PM

371 posts, read 730,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingRaleigh View Post
As for the hybrid exemption, does that mean that if I get an approved hybrid and a special tag before June 30, that I will be able to use HOV indefinitely? I misunderstood it to mean that all hybrids would not be allowed to use it after June 30 2011. That would be great!
No one knows for sure. If you get the plate before June 30th, you will get to drive the HOV until at least 2012. If you get it after June 30th, no HOV lanes for you! They have been extending it a year at a time. You won't know until they decide not to extend it again. This could be next year, or i could be many years down the road. If you are buying it solely for the HOV, it is a gamble.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 AM

24 posts, read 107,322 times
If they follow what they have done for the 395 HOV exemption, then yes. (the cut off for that was 2006) BUT, you never know. As stated above, it is extened on a yearly basis so it could be a gamble. We bought a hybrid based on that very gamble. DH uses the HOV now in his work car but will not have a work car in about 2 yrs. He will have to use his personal car then. We rolled the dice and bought an approved clean fuel car... just to get the tags now. One thing is for sure, it will save us $ on gas

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. We live in Haymarket and LOVE it! DH wishes we lived closer for commuting purposes but still loves livng out here. Quiet, not a lot of traffic, ppl are nice.... I could live here for the rest of his career and be very happy! We lived in Florida and New Mexico before moving here.... this place is by far our favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia