Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 PM

87 posts, read 209,812 times

Advertisements

Yes, I really need a top-knotch financial planner to help sort out my personal financial situation.

I've always done my own financial planning before, although now I require advanced help. My needs include advise on government retirement, taxes, budgeting, debt, investing, mortgages and credit. The whole enchilada. I feel it is to my advantage to use a financial planner who is not living off commissions.

Please post if you have someone in mind, in VA, MD, or DC, or know where and how to find one.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 15,700,579 times
I don't know anything about this organization, but it might be a good place to look:

Home Page - NAPFA - The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors

Old 05-21-2011, 07:40 AM

9,732 posts, read 9,685,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreeableone View Post
Yes, I really need a top-knotch financial planner to help sort out my personal financial situation.

I've always done my own financial planning before, although now I require advanced help. My needs include advise on government retirement, taxes, budgeting, debt, investing, mortgages and credit. The whole enchilada. I feel it is to my advantage to use a financial planner who is not living off commissions.

Please post if you have someone in mind, in VA, MD, or DC, or know where and how to find one.

Thank you.

Save your money. There is ample FREE advise available on the internet.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,564,339 times
We searched for this but never found anyone. If you have about a million or more to invest, then I know of one person who is very good, but he is expensive. He takes a percentage of the profit that he makes on your money. Although it's not a flat fee, he only has incentive to make more money for a client, not to just buy and sell over and over again. However, if you have the ability to manage your own money, or at least can be somewhat involved in what is happening with it, that's what most people I know do, even those with a lot of money.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:11 PM

446 posts, read 1,642,277 times
You might want to find one of Dave Ramsey's ELPs (Endorsed Local Provider) in the area. Endorsed Local Providers - daveramsey.com

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 PM

361 posts, read 734,377 times
my recommendation:
Reston VA Financial Planner - Boucher Financial Planning is a fee only financial planning firm dedicated to serving "All-Americans"
He is in Reston.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 PM

38 posts, read 89,251 times
Ric Edelman in Fairfax, VA.
The Truth About Money | Nation's #1 Financial Advisor Ric Edelman or edelmanfinancial.com

Old 09-24-2011, 02:37 PM

19,362 posts, read 27,588,925 times
I'm an ex-Big 8 accountant and use these folks:

Dixon Hughes Wealth Advisors

Very similar philosophy to Ric Edelman, but usually charges a cheaper percentage / fee for services. And, IMO, the advisers are better qualified, most of them CPA's.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times
This is an old thread, but for anyone who might be reading, please do NOT use a Dave Ramsey ELP per the previous poster's suggestion.

I'm a CPA with experience in tax planning.

ELP's pay a fee to be "endorsed" by Dave Ramsey. Most of the investment guys are commissioned sales reps who will push annuities or other commissioned based products.

Check out these sites to find a fee-only Certified Financial Planner:

[url=http://www.napfa.org]Fee-Only Financial Advisors Home - NAPFA - The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors[/url]

[url]www.cpf.net[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia