U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM

32 posts, read 135,318 times

Advertisements

PurpleSun- I would expect you to hear from the principal first. The principal should really notify you if you either way. I would say definitely follow up with the principal if you haven't heard in a few days.

Brenpilot asked earlier about how experienced the hires are in FPSC. I would also be curious how much experience the pricipals are typically looking for. The market seems to be quite competitive at the moment-- or perhaps that is just my impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,554,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat123 View Post
Brenpilot asked earlier about how experienced the hires are in FPSC. I would also be curious how much experience the pricipals are typically looking for. The market seems to be quite competitive at the moment-- or perhaps that is just my impression?
I'm not a principal, but I heard back from two places I interviewed and both said they hired someone with more experience. (I have 4 years in industry, but none in teaching). One said they hired a teacher who had 3 years under his/her belt. This is at the secondary level.

(Even the position I did get the offer for said that it was my industry time that interested them the most.)

So, I don't think it's a ton, but a little tends to beat out none.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,554,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesun View Post
My question is how many days before they tell you that you got the job? If I did not hear from them for a week does that mean I did not get the job?

Who tells you that you got the job - does the HR call you or the Principal?

From the time HR informs you how long does it take for you to sign the contract?
July is apparently the point in the year when a lot of principals take vacation, so things get slowed significantly. I interviewed at 3 schools. One took 3 weeks to tell me I didn't get the job, one took 4 days, and one asked for a follow up interview the next day. Two days later, I got an email from the principal unofficially asking if I wanted the job, and two days after that I got the phone call from HR asking if I would officially accept.

It's a very round about process with no standard timeline. Apparently, for every open position, they have to call the early hire list before hiring anyone else and ask if they're interested. I wasn't an early hire (I called/emailed the schools that listed vacancies online). After I had the follow up interview, the principal said he liked me, but that he had to call everyone on the early hire list who was certified in my subject and ask if they wanted to interview first. He was under no obligation to hire them, but they had to at least be considered. If there's a long list of early hires, that could take a while.

Truly, every school has their own time line. Majority of the grads from last year's class were hired the week before school started. Many of my classmates from this year don't have offers yet. It seems like an unnecessarily drawn out and non-standardized process, to be honest. I wish there were more hard and fast rules so everyone was on even footing.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
Don't believe the hype about FCPS. It is a horrible system to work in. I worked there 5 years and it was 5 years too many. The high turnover rate is because they treat teachers like dirt and steal all your planning time with useless "CLT" meetings. That's why they only seem to attract first year teachers these days. Stay far away or you'll regret it.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM

588 posts, read 1,196,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickoffcps View Post
Don't believe the hype about FCPS. It is a horrible system to work in. I worked there 5 years and it was 5 years too many. The high turnover rate is because they treat teachers like dirt and steal all your planning time with useless "CLT" meetings. That's why they only seem to attract first year teachers these days. Stay far away or you'll regret it.

Useless CLT meetings? Hmmm... I find CLT to be the opposite. I find those meetings, as well as the group of teachers who are our CLT, to be extraordinarily helpful and supportive.

I've worked in four schools, three of which had "PLC/CLT," and have always felt positively about PLC/CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or