U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,178 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, I recently received an early employment offer for teaching in Fairfax County. Has anyone ever received this before? It guarantees me a job within the county but doesn't specify where. I'm able to personally apply to specific schools within the county.

HR stated its a binding contract so i'm kind of nervous to sign it, even though I am very interested! I live in NJ so I would have to move. I certainly didn't expect to get a job offer so early in the summer and would like to know if I wasn't able to make the move, would I be able to get out of it?

Please help me if you have any information, thanks!

Also, I have been looking at apartments if I decide to accept/move. Is anyone familiar with the teaching condos (Legado and Westcott Ridge) in Fairfax? They offer discounted rent to teachers and new professionals that is almost half the cost of apartment complexes in the county. I would be moving by myself so would need to make sure the apartment/condo that I rent is in a safe area, and somewhat affordable on a starting teacher's salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 28,414 times
I'm not familiar with the early hire process, but I do know a few people going through the destaffing process and I would assume that they are similar. If you are destaffed in Fairfax county you have the option of finding your own job anywhere in the county. If you don't find one by a certain date, then you are assigned a job anywhere in the county. This is nice because it guarantees you a job, but you don't get to pick where. I would assume it's the same for you, but probably after people who are destaffed are assigned a new location. Which means you would most likely be assigned to a school that couldn't hire anyone through transfair(a time just available for current FCPS employees to find a new teaching spot in the county), or couldn't pick up a destaffed person, or maybe just had a spot open up. I wouldn't sign the contract unless that's what you want. If you want another job, then look around. Fairfax is huge if you don't have a job still in July there will probably still be openings just not as many. However, at least you'll get to pick.

As far as living goes, I would wait to find a place to live until you get the job. Fairfax is huge and traffic is a major issue. Depending on where your school is located it might be more cost effective for you to live of the county and commute in. That's what I did because even with the apartment deals they offer for teachers it was cheaper for me to live in Prince William County.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM

8,105 posts, read 12,621,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug15 View Post
hey everyone, I recently received an early employment offer for teaching in Fairfax County. Has anyone ever received this before? It guarantees me a job within the county but doesn't specify where. I'm able to personally apply to specific schools within the county.

HR stated its a binding contract so i'm kind of nervous to sign it, even though I am very interested! I live in NJ so I would have to move. I certainly didn't expect to get a job offer so early in the summer and would like to know if I wasn't able to make the move, would I be able to get out of it?

Also, I have been looking at apartments if I decide to accept/move. Is anyone familiar with the teaching condos (Legado and Westcott Ridge) in Fairfax? They offer discounted rent to teachers and new professionals that is almost half the cost of apartment complexes in the county. I would be moving by myself so would need to make sure the apartment/condo that I rent is in a safe area, and somewhat affordable on a starting teacher's salary.
Yes. I received an early hire contract in April of '93. I'm still with the county. My wife accepted an early hire contract in the spring of 2006. It is a binding contract, so if you accept it you're in.
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to make the move? I'll send you a direct msg.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 26,178 times
Thank you for the responses so far! I definitely agree with waiting to see what school/town I get a job in to see where I should live, I was just trying to get a general idea of pricing. Which pricing seems to be higher than I expected, that's why I would like to look into the teacher condos, but i'm guessing traffic may be really bad depending on where the school I teach in is located.

tgbwc- it's good to hear that teacher's stay with the county for so long! i've read that fairfax has a higher turnover rate because of the cost of living. and i understand that i would be in/guaranteed a job by accepting the contract, which is definitely reassuring, i am just wondering expense wise if i couldnt afford the move or make it down there what would happen? I have to make my decision by this week

Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,311,016 times
Quote:
It's my understanding that the discounted rents are around $800 per month for a 1 bedroom:
http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/employees/in...etpacket09.pdf

I don't think you can beat that for a 1 bedroom unit. However, I do know that several teachers in our area schools rent single family homes and have housemates.

Congratulations on the offer!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,111,356 times
Most recent college grads in their first jobs share houses with friends. Teachers are no exception, although they do start at a salary higher than the federal government pays. and most contractors. Plus, those folks have to work all summer and only get two weeks off a year and their retire benefits aren't even close to what FCPS pays. Good luck! You'll find lots of other young people in Fairfax county.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,538,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Most recent college grads in their first jobs share houses with friends. Teachers are no exception, although they do start at a salary higher than the federal government pays. and most contractors. Plus, those folks have to work all summer and only get two weeks off a year and their retire benefits aren't even close to what FCPS pays. Good luck! You'll find lots of other young people in Fairfax county.
Not quite. My starting salary as a contractor was 50% more than a first year FCPS teacher would make. And I got 5 weeks of vacation (not 2, as suggested) and much better benefits.

To the OP--I wouldn't rent an apartment in their complex until they tell you which school you'll be at. Your commute could get really nasty if you end up working at a school across town.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 AM

65 posts, read 104,088 times
Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, how much experience do you have, and how did you go about applying for the position and receiving an offer? My fiance just graduated from college in Indiana in Elementary Education and recently moved to Northern Virginia with me. She applied to Fairfax, Loudoun, Arlington, Alexandria, etc. and hasn't heard anything yet...I'm guessing it's the lack of experience? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 AM

191 posts, read 310,003 times
Junebug15

I recently was reading a post that ranked Fairfax County one of the richest counties in the U.S.A. This may no longer be the case but if it is true then i would sign that contract very quickly! Who wouldnt want to teach in the richest county in the U.S.A.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,538,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACollegeStudent View Post
Junebug15

I recently was reading a post that ranked Fairfax County one of the richest counties in the U.S.A. This may no longer be the case but if it is true then i would sign that contract very quickly! Who wouldnt want to teach in the richest county in the U.S.A.
I'm guessing this is sarcastic?

I teach at a middle school where the majority of the kids (no exaggeration) are on free lunches, most live in low income housing, and I'm lucky to have 3 or 4 out of 25 per period that have parents at home in the evening who can help with math homework.

FFX county is a very large place. Just because the median household income is high doesn't mean that the kids in school are coming from the top half of those statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or