U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM

139 posts, read 280,450 times

Advertisements

We are relocating next month from Alabama. Our son will be a Sophomore and, even though my husband will have a lengthy commute via bus/metro (because he gets reimbursed) to DC, we have decided that we want to live in Centreville for various personal reasons. I would like some feedback about Centreville High School. Some of my questions that you may be able to answer: 1) Are sports a BIG deal there? i.e. if you are not an athlete you are labelled as a geek (my son is an athlete but just gave up baseball and has totally lost interest). 2) would you say that there is a good mixture of kids socioeconomically and if not, where would you say the majority fall (i.e. upper middle class, middle, etc.). 3) have you found the students to be very cliquish or fairly open to newcomers? 4) obviously academics are important because it does rank well in Fairfax County (I think Washington Post ranked it 5th?) and in the U.S. (Last year 141 in nation). I know it is not the best or the wealthiest high school in Fairfax County and that is one reason that we chose Centreville. We are kind of small town people and we are not "school snobs" but we do want our son to get a good, challenging education that will prepare him well for college. On the other hand, we want him to be comfortable there.

My questions may seem a little odd, so if you find them confusing, just address the ones that you have some info on! It's kind of hard to pinpoint what I am trying to ask. I just want to know that I am making the best decision for my son. There are so many great high schools up there and we are very well educated professionals but we don't want to stick him in a snob school. We want him around kids who come from families similar to ours. Does that make any sense?

We really liked the feel of Centreville itself when we visited and was among some of the best cities in which to live in America based on Newsweek in 2010. There has to be something there for it to make the list!

Thanks for your feedback! Fairfax County is so large that it can be a bit overwhelming to newcomers. I grew up in VA and went to college (undergrad) there but I never lived that far north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,622,593 times
I really don't know much about Centreville High School specifically. But one thing I think most newcomers to this area do not need to worry about is being the newcomer. This is a highly transient area. And people come and go all the time. Where I grew up in small town Pennsylvania, a new kid starting at school was a big deal and maybe happened 3-4 times a year. In my daughter's school in Vienna there are new kids on a weekly basis. I was in the office one day and heard the school secretary say they had 6 new kids start that week, and it was a random week in the middle of the school year. It is that transient. I don't think being the newcomer is much to worry about.

As far as socioeconomically, I think Centreville probably has a good mix of students. I don't think you have to worry about it being majority wealthy snobs or mostly low-income either. For FCPS, it's a middle-of-the-road school with regard to test scores, so there probably won't be a great deal of school snobs there. But I imagine a child would get a sound academic education at Centreville High. However, I'll let others comment specifically about that school since as I mentioned I am not specifically familiar with it.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,171,817 times
I was a member of the first full graduating class at Centreville....back in 1992. My little brother graduated from there within the last 10 years....(yes, I forget when he graduated)

Sports are a big deal - as far as school spirit goes! I think Centreville is pretty much like any other high school in the area. Your son not playing sports is no big deal - it's too large a school for everyone to play anyways. I think he'll be just fine.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,618,430 times
Agree with all the above and think your family generally will be happy. Centreville is like many schools in Fairfax County that draws students from a range of neighborhoods, including million dollar houses in Clifton, less expensive single-family homes and townhouses.

If you've read other threads, you will have seen that Centreville is now the center of the Korean population in the county. CHS has the second-highest percentage of Asian students in the county after TJHSST, the magnet science/math school. The ethnic diversity may be a bit of a shock coming from a small town in Alabama, but perhaps not.

Good luck with the move.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 AM

That is true about the Asian population. You know....it's so funny living in this area because things that folks notice....I don't even pay attention anymore because it's 'normal' to me.

Yes, it might be a shock coming from a small town....I am originally from Vermont and when I have relatives visit....they just are in awe of the different ethnicities...it's an entire other world to them.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 PM

154 posts, read 328,770 times
Update: CVHS Students Arrested Following Food Fight - Centreville, VA Patch

Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 PM

Wow - I missed out on food fights when I went there...darnnit!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I really don't know much about Centreville High School specifically. But one thing I think most newcomers to this area do not need to worry about is being the newcomer. This is a highly transient area. And people come and go all the time. Where I grew up in small town Pennsylvania, a new kid starting at school was a big deal and maybe happened 3-4 times a year. In my daughter's school in Vienna there are new kids on a weekly basis. I was in the office one day and heard the school secretary say they had 6 new kids start that week, and it was a random week in the middle of the school year. It is that transient. I don't think being the newcomer is much to worry about.

As far as socioeconomically, I think Centreville probably has a good mix of students. I don't think you have to worry about it being majority wealthy snobs or mostly low-income either. For FCPS, it's a middle-of-the-road school with regard to test scores, so there probably won't be a great deal of school snobs there. But I imagine a child would get a sound academic education at Centreville High. However, I'll let others comment specifically about that school since as I mentioned I am not specifically familiar with it.

Thank you! That is exactly the impression that I have gotten from Centreville and is why I think it fits our family to a tee!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Agree with all the above and think your family generally will be happy. Centreville is like many schools in Fairfax County that draws students from a range of neighborhoods, including million dollar houses in Clifton, less expensive single-family homes and townhouses.

If you've read other threads, you will have seen that Centreville is now the center of the Korean population in the county. CHS has the second-highest percentage of Asian students in the county after TJHSST, the magnet science/math school. The ethnic diversity may be a bit of a shock coming from a small town in Alabama, but perhaps not.

Good luck with the move.

We are actually coming from Huntsville, AL which is probably close in population to Centreville. I grew up in a small town and my son spent his first 10 years in a town much smaller than Huntsville. He is a very friendly kid and has many friends of all races and I am a teacher who is used to very diverse populations (especially Hispanic). I have found my Asian students to be delightful! Thanks so much for the information! :-) I think we are making a great choice!!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 PM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....it's so stupid and childish? Definitely need to make examples out of these kids because this is totallly uncalled for and with it being the 2nd time in the county. I guess this is mild though compared to some of the middle school fights that I have had to break up (and I am only 5'6" and 140 pounds).... ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia