U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM

262 posts, read 502,025 times

Advertisements

Been to both. There are only 2 or 3 hotels I would stay in at Ocean City. Most are run down and pretty dirty. There is a much better selection of nice, more modern, clean, hotels in Virginia Beach. IMO, OC is more for teens, college age. VB is a little more family friendly. Right after Labor Day is a good time to go...rates drop considerably and the weather is still warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,645 times
If I had to pick my poison, I'd go with Virginia Beach, since I haven't yet been there (and don't think I could stomach another trip to OC.. heh!). Plus, that way I could take a side trip to Williamsburg (one of my go-to fun destinations somewhat near DC).

Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 40,033 times
Va Beach has an awesome boardwalk 39 blocks long. If you have not been in the last 3-5 years the place has certainly changed for the better. You mentioned fishing; Rudee Inlet has either fishing right off the end of the boardwalk or the charters; You can lay in the sun at 1st street and your husband can fish for a couple of hours and then you guys can walk to any of the great open bars along the boardwalk, or walk over to Atlantic Ave and spend the night going in and out of mom & pop shops..... I drive up from Va Beach and work for several days in the DC area and I have to say, you'll love Va Beach for that weekend.

Visit beachstreetusa on the web for a look at what's going on in Va Beach for the weekend. We live about 3 miles from the beach and we drive down all the time. Stages at 17th, 25th and 31st with something going each and every weekend. Enternterment on Atlantic from 21st - 24th street every night from 6pm - midnight.

Verizon Wireless American Music Festival

Don't know too much at about OC......... so I'll leave that up to the others...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,591 times
I would suggest VA Beach over OC since there is tons to walk to in VA Beach. OC is much more spread out and unless you're staying near the boardwalk you have to deal with driving and parking.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
I would definatly chooses Virginia beach over ocean city... Va beach has much nicer hotels that are often cheaper than oc hotels they are also branded so you know what to expect. Most hotels offer free breakfast unlike places in oc. The boardwalk is huge and they have a beach street with shops and restaurants. Va beach has a larger sand beach and the water is often warmer being that the beach is farther south, the only thing that isn't as nice is the ride to get there is very industrial and not much to look at

Old 04-01-2014, 02:41 PM

33,835 posts, read 41,911,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority then...I don't like either one. I find both to be pretty trashy areas (they type where dad has baby in one arm, a six pack of beer in the other, and is walking to the tattoo parlor). I think they're just drastically different than what I'm used to (I grew up in Santa Barbara), but I much prefer Cape May, NJ or the OBX in NC. Both are much classier areas to me, with prettier less bulldozed beaches.
Except there aren't any tattoo parlors in Ocean City.

Honky tonk:

What you have in Ocean City is the lower, southern end of the Boardwalk, is old style beach stuff-real old amusement parks, carnival Midway stuff, low rise houses, low rise (compared to further north from around 15th Street or so) buildings. You know, peanuts, popcorn, French fries and ice cream sort of stuff.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
I think it's pretty even. Both suck. I would put both in the trashy beach category with Myrtle Beach (whereas Rehoboth, OBX, Charleston, and Carolina Beach are much classier).

Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,546,268 times
oh yeah, those places are so much classier

Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,046,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority then...I don't like either one. I find both to be pretty trashy areas (they type where dad has baby in one arm, a six pack of beer in the other, and is walking to the tattoo parlor). I think they're just drastically different than what I'm used to (I grew up in Santa Barbara), but I much prefer Cape May, NJ or the OBX in NC. Both are much classier areas to me, with prettier less bulldozed beaches.
Same here. We do OBX, and have done Cape May also. I can't stand OC or VA beach for the same reason you describe. I think the northern MD and Delaware beaches are OK - Bethany, Lewes, and so on. Assateaugue is beatiful, but of course you can't stay there. We do those beaches if we don't have time to go all the way to OBX - they aren't as pretty as OBX or Cape May, but they also don't have that trashy feel. And if someone wanted to, they could actually drive down to Ocean City for the evening to drink or whatever.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I've never been to Ocean City - but I absolutely love VA Beach. There is a great little place right on the boardwalk called Mahi Mah's, enjoy the ocean breeze, a cocktail and listen to the band. Man, I want to go NOW.
When my wife and I got married, we spent a week in the hotel (The Clarion?) that was right next to Mahi Mah's. Her grandparents had a timeshare there so we got a nice deal out of it. We both love sushi and alcohol; we got loaded at Mahi Mah's several nights that week. Great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or