U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,046,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
When my wife and I got married, we spent a week in the hotel (The Clarion?) that was right next to Mahi Mah's. Her grandparents had a timeshare there so we got a nice deal out of it. We both love sushi and alcohol; we got loaded at Mahi Mah's several nights that week. Great place.
Perhaps this explains the difference between those who find OC/VA Beach trashy and those who don't. I would never "get loaded" nor want to be around those who do. Perhaps OBX and Cape May are more appealing to non-drinking types who just want a beautiful beach and some more romantic or family friendly activities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,546,268 times
usually after "we got loaded", there's the obligatory "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!!!"

Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM

867 posts, read 1,083,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Perhaps this explains the difference between those who find OC/VA Beach trashy and those who don't. I would never "get loaded" nor want to be around those who do. Perhaps OBX and Cape May are more appealing to non-drinking types who just want a beautiful beach and some more romantic or family friendly activities.
Virginia Beach's Oceanfront is the longest in the country. It is perfectly easy to enjoy a more secluded less traveled part of the beach. That is one good thing about the Oceanfront, there is a section that caters to a variety of different interests. There is also Chesapeake Beach (Chic's Beach) and Sandbridge, which is actually technically VAs portion of the OBX. All in all, I'm sure that Cape May and OBX is not alcohol free.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 04-02-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 AM

617 posts, read 1,152,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I think you mistakenly associate the phrase "get loaded" with being loud and obnoxious. We had our life to look forward to, we had some spare cash from wedding gifts, and we enjoyed our sushi and alcohol. We laughed a lot and had a good time. There were many other young people around us doing the same thing. I didn't see any fights, and arguments, or any problems that would cause anyone to get uptight.

Would I take my kids there...maybe earlier in the evening when it is less crowded. Regardless, I'd suggest that anyone who refers to an area as "trashy" simply because other people are out enjoying themselves have a look in the mirror; the problem is likely with them.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,533,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority then...I don't like either one. I find both to be pretty trashy areas (they type where dad has baby in one arm, a six pack of beer in the other, and is walking to the tattoo parlor). I think they're just drastically different than what I'm used to (I grew up in Santa Barbara), but I much prefer Cape May, NJ or the OBX in NC. Both are much classier areas to me, with prettier less bulldozed beaches.
I grew up in Delaware and prefer the Delaware Beaches But they tend to be more small town/quiet/laid back. Rehobeth is my favorite with it's relatively small boardwalk (1 mile), family friendly atmosphere, and Victorian architecture. The place seems to (mostly) die at night, but I usually go there with my daughter and we are in by 9pm anyway. I think there is a more hidden nightlife there (and on a smaller scale). Where as OC and Virginia Beach are mini cities and seem to have more nightlife (which may be the atmosphere the OP is looking for). To me, Virginia Beach is nice, but the concrete "boardwalk" is just a sidewalk. OC at least has a "real" boardwalk and that beach town feel to it. And I know a friend of mine (who is in her late 20s) loves to go there to party all night.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM

104 posts, read 144,800 times
It seems there are mixed reviews here and 50/50. I am going to follow suit with that.
I much prefer OC because I like people watching and don't mind the noise, crowds and hotels that are not so pristine whereas my wife likes VA beach better since it is cheaper for nicer hotels and quieter but still enough for us all to do. We have never been to either place without kids. When our friends have a "girls weekend" they head to OC (year after year).
As for safety, we feel safe in both places. There are always a lot of police cars in VA beach.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,802,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I grew up in Delaware and prefer the Delaware Beaches But they tend to be more small town/quiet/laid back. Rehobeth is my favorite with it's relatively small boardwalk (1 mile), family friendly atmosphere, and Victorian architecture. The place seems to (mostly) die at night, but I usually go there with my daughter and we are in by 9pm anyway. I think there is a more hidden nightlife there (and on a smaller scale). Where as OC and Virginia Beach are mini cities and seem to have more nightlife (which may be the atmosphere the OP is looking for). To me, Virginia Beach is nice, but the concrete "boardwalk" is just a sidewalk. OC at least has a "real" boardwalk and that beach town feel to it. And I know a friend of mine (who is in her late 20s) loves to go there to party all night.

I grew up going to Rehoboth, too. I didn't move to DE until high school, but I we always crossed the line from MD to do our shopping (we lived in Cecil County until I was 13). I agree with your assessment. It is the quintessential beach town in my mind. Cute boardwalk, gotta have the Thrasher's fries (I prefer them with vinegar!) and go to either Dolles or Candy Kitchen for yummy snacks (We actually gave out Candy Kitchen Salt Water Taffy at our at-home wedding reception in Chesapeake City And, Funland - oh, the memories I have at Funland. Plus, the minigolf courses - so fun. I also like Bethany, but it is SUPER quiet there.

We tried to go last year for a quick vacation, and were SHOCKED at how pricey it was there these days. My grandparents (who lived in Silver Spring) had a house off of Route One that we used to go to when I was younger, so we didn't really have to pay for hotels. So sad that no one in my family owns a beach property at this point

We wound up going to VA Beach last year for a week using a deal we found on Living Social. We weren't staying on the beach but at a resort a few miles inland where we already were going to a wedding at the end of the week and were able to combine the LS deal with our already existing reservation. We really liked the VA Beach area, although I wasn't thrilled with the jets flying overhead all day long. The boardwalk or whatever they called it was nice (yes, not a true "board"walk), and there was the bike path, too. It wasn't crazy packed, and we enjoyed the nighttime performances at the pavilions - music and magic shows and just all kinds of fun stuff. We did a day in Sandbridge where my husband and daughter went fishing off the pier. We also went to the Aquarium once day. Oh, and we went to Norfolk, too. There is a lot to do in that area, so you won't be bored even if it rains.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 8,648 times
I used to go to VB with my exwife. It was ok but OC has a $2 all day bus ride. Can't beat it for partying. Lots to do in the whole area also, not just drinking. And the jets flying overhead in VB, that's just the sound of freedom. Cant believe you didn't see those bumper stickers everywhere.Didn't mind them, spent 3 yrs on an aircraft carrier.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,290 times
Virginia Beach used to have a reputation for being a poor man's spring break, but in recent years has made real strides towards cleaning itself up.

There's more family things to do, but it still largely targets younger beach goers.

If you're older and looking for a quieter, family oriented affair, stick to the north end of the beach. Hotels, restraunts and entertainment are usually more upscale.

If you're younger and on a budget, stay at the southern end of the beach. More bars, younger crowd and cheaper hotels. Not dives, just a lot of 2 and 3-star hotels.

Like any place, VA Beach has it's trouble makers and trashy people, but for the most part it's can be a lot of fun for a cheap price.

As a bonus, hit up VA Beach during a non-holiday weekend, or even a weekday if you can to avoid the massive crowds.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM

342 posts, read 393,519 times
I'm going to go with OC on this one, but VA beach is great too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or