Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:18 AM

153 posts, read 380,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think it's up to the individual teacher. I know for sure that there was nap time in FDK in some schools in Fairfax County.

Not in my school. It must be left up to the principal of that school. Trust me, we would have 'had it' if she came by and lights were off and they were 'resting'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersmom722 View Post
I'm a K teacher in FCPS...(full day kindergarten) and we have no rest/quiet time. Never have from the start of the school year.
That's interesting. I know that in my group of parents, all with kids attending full day K (at seven different schools), the K classrooms had rest/quiet time as part of the day in the beginning of the school year. Most had dropped the rest/quiet time by the Thanksgiving break.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randr.xyz View Post
So what do you do with Kinders who REALLY need a nap? My soon-to-be kinder still naps for 90 mins durning the day. That is in addition to the 11 to 12 hours she sleeps at night. She needs her sleep, otherwise she is a bear to handle. She is sweet as pie if she gets her nap. I worry that she would try a teachers patience and get treated poorly in return w/out a rest of some kind.
They adjust during the first few weeks. I did have a student come in and ask me during orientation..."where do we take a nap?" I told her that we do not take naps.

**This is my first yr in FCPS (and VA) and yr 15th of teaching**

I've had team members bring this rest/nap thing up during discussions in our meetings. There was one that said that they used to do that until the newest principal came in. She said that in the past, they would rest/nap until after Christmas break for 45 minutes a day.

I am well aware that my current school does not represent FCPS. Just know that there is at least ONE school where full time kindergarten students do not rest/nap................we don't even have a PTA.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:26 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
I am well aware that my current school does not represent FCPS. Just know that there is at least ONE school where full time kindergarten students do not rest/nap................we don't even have a PTA.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
That's interesting. I know that in my group of parents, all with kids attending full day K (at seven different schools), the K classrooms had rest/quiet time as part of the day in the beginning of the school year. Most had dropped the rest/quiet time by the Thanksgiving break.
I've held my breath everyday after lunch when I allow my students to put their heads down as they use the restroom one by one. (about 10-15 minutes worth of time). I always have the restroom excuse ready if someone comes by. If they are in the vicinity when we return from lunch, we walk in and continue to work as if we never left the room.

I had a child that took a brief nap yesterday. She put her head down and then I realized that she had gone to sleep. (she NEVER does that) so I just let her be. (we were already headed home in 25 minutes.)

Old 05-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Off Topic-...EXACTLY! Even when I taught in a 98% free/reduced lunch/poverty, etc school for 9.5 yrs...We had a PTA. Even if only 7 parents showed up. And do know, it is not because of the lack of parental involvement or language barrier.

NOW..back on topic..

Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
I had a child that took a brief nap yesterday. She put her head down and then I realized that she had gone to sleep. (she NEVER does that) so I just let her be. (we were already headed home in 25 minutes.)
LOL. I did corporate training (of adults) for about 15 years, and that was my approach as well. If they were asleep, they probably needed the sleep more than the training materials. And you can always take the same course again, but you can never take the same nap again.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think it's up to the individual teacher. I know for sure that there was nap time in FDK in some schools in Fairfax County.
I attended a K orientation in April and we were told that the first semester, all K students get a 1 hour quiet time for napping or resting. They said that it seems to be necessary during the initial transition period.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
It's a shame, but true. Even with full day k across the board, all schools will definitely not be equal across the county, and often the reason comes down to leadership (or lack thereof) on site.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I attended a K orientation in April and we were told that the first semester, all K students get a 1 hour quiet time for napping or resting. They said that it seems to be necessary during the initial transition period.

That would be so nice if this was realized by some. They are little people..we call them children. My own child will start kindergarten in September and there are some things that truly bother me. (No, she will not attend this school.) I do not believe in treating the children like little robots. From the moment they enter into the classroom, they are 'performing' for us. KMRA assessments, L.A. assessments, Literacy (work stations (centers), writing, specials (whose times etc are different each day at my school), lunch, math, etc..and then 15 mins of recess to FINALLY let loose and be, snack and intervention to end the day.

(please pardon any typos, grammatical/punctuation errors. It's a Saturday morning )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia