Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 AM

18 posts, read 47,180 times

Advertisements

I know I should mind my own business....but I noticed new neighbors put their six foot fence right abutting the sidewalk. It's a corner lot that is what you see from the cross street. They actually enclosed the county land where there is the electric utility pole. Then, there is a strip of vacant land owned by someone else that runs across the back of four houses. They simply put their fence right at edge of the vacant land, giving them about 12 more feet of yard. When your lot is .11 that is alot of extra land for the $$$.

I did it the legal way and now feel like I'm the loser. I so want to turn them in but my husband is urging me not to. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 AM

518 posts, read 925,226 times
I say leave it be as well. Eventually they will have to take down the fence and rebuild it. Giving in to feelings of resentment towards your neighbor will just suck you into a kharmic cycle of crap that you will not need. Since they decided to enclose both county and private land that is not theirs, I believe the situation will be rectified without you tattle-telling. Thus giving you the resolution you wanted without starting off on a bad foot with your new neighbor.

Also, never feel like a loser for doing it the legal way.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Call your supervisor's office. Or type up a letter and mail it to to the supervisor without signing your name. You could enclose photos.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkat View Post
I know I should mind my own business....but I noticed new neighbors put their six foot fence right abutting the sidewalk. It's a corner lot that is what you see from the cross street. They actually enclosed the county land where there is the electric utility pole. Then, there is a strip of vacant land owned by someone else that runs across the back of four houses. They simply put their fence right at edge of the vacant land, giving them about 12 more feet of yard. When your lot is .11 that is alot of extra land for the $$$.

I did it the legal way and now feel like I'm the loser. I so want to turn them in but my husband is urging me not to. What do you think?
Notify the authorities. In my opinion, reporting any illegal activity is a civic duty.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM

265 posts, read 952,819 times
You can anonymously let the county know via their website that there is a violation.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:52 AM

259 posts, read 510,468 times
Quote:

I did it the legal way and now feel like I'm the loser. So I want to turn them in but my husband is urging me not to. What do you think?

The underlined and bolded statement provides an insight into your mentality. It's more about jealousy and envy than it is about be a "do-gooder" by reporting it to the authorities. If you did it the legal way you shouldn't feel like a loser...you should actually feel the opposite way. You should be PROUD of yourself for doing things the way they are supposed to be done. This illustrates the not too much talked about resentment that runs rampant in the burbs. People aren't happy even when they are doing quite well in the relative sense.

I wonder how "concerned" you would be about your neighbors indiscretion if you had the biggest most beautiful lot in the neighborhood.

Your husband has the right idea actually. He obviously doesn't even want the possibility of a potentially hostile neighbor situation.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Maybe they did it by accident, thinking those were the actual boundaries of their land. At some point they'll probably have to tear is down and rebuild it, and it might be a financial hardship for them. Why do you want to be the one to make their lives more difficult?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM

384 posts, read 1,029,411 times
Quote:

Report it anonymously and don't feel bad about it. They should have checked before they put up the fence. I think this a common issue in northern virginia, people 'extend' their plots until they get checked by the county.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
Report it anonymously and don't feel bad about it. They should have checked before they put up the fence. I think this a common issue in northern virginia, people 'extend' their plots until they get checked by the county.
It is. There was a Post article on this and just how widespread it is. I would definitely report them.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
I would report it, afterall why should they get free land? you did it the legal way and so should they. It is unfair and I dont blame you one bit, it seems your husband just wants to stay out of "drama" but I think if you report it without giving your name there really will be no way for them to find out who did. As far as ficancial hardship... They did it to themselves, you didnt tell them to illegally build a fence on county property. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia