U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM

76 posts, read 117,721 times

Advertisements

Tech Rider- thank you for letting me know about Regent's Park and the feedback from your kids. All of the wonderful feedback has us in the market looking to rent a town home. We want to wait a year to know the area before making such a huge purchase sucj as a SFH or TH. I can relate to your post- I hear every flush, cough, sneeze, TV program, and conversation through my ceiling in the condo that I own now in Hampton Roads. It is annoying but I guess you get used to it.

Thanks for the great feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Default @ Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy707 View Post
\ With a baby I would look for a townhouse with either a garage, or driveway...and also make sure you have a washer and dryer
I am a huge fan of yours! Thanks for making me think about all of these things that I will need to adapt to as a mom. I have a w/d now and have decided I cant live without one, but I was willing to compromise with my dear husband about a driveway so that he could have a short walk to the metro. Perhaps I am not being as selfish as I thought to request a driveway to make unloading groceries and loading a baby a bit easier. Thanks for the feedback on Mosby's. I'm not too fond of the 70's look as seen on homesdatabase. That really is a great resource, and I thank you again for it!

I will keep looking for a TH with a driveway. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,343,172 times
A sometimes very useful source for info on TH and SFH rentals is militarybyowner.com. You don't have to be military yourself to use it. You do have to select a military base to be near though. Once you've clicked the Rent button and put in VA as your state, you can choose Ft. Myer to see things more in the inner suburbs, or NRO Chantilly to see things more out in the western part of the county. Definitely worth a look...

Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Default @ Aphra75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphra75 View Post
But the apartments are gorgeous, and the building is quiet for the most part. Like I said, I really do love it. You may just want to come by and take a look; Nenette in the front office is really nice.
I am so glad that you enjoy living there. Thanks for your feedback! I was able to visit last week, and they are lovely, new, modern, and clean. You are very lucky to live there! Thanks for your honest feedback about what the drawbacks are for a family! Your kindness is very much appreciated!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
A sometimes very useful source for info on TH and SFH rentals is militarybyowner.com. You don't have to be military yourself to use it. You do have to select a military base to be near though. Once you've clicked the Rent button and put in VA as your state, you can choose Ft. Myer to see things in the inner suburbs, or NRO Chantilly to see things out in the western county.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I had used this site awhile back, but had forgotten about it! Again, another great resource. Thank you!!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Default @KmKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkat View Post
Some ideas for you...look around Ellenwood, Braxton Woods, etc. .
Thanks for these specific names. That is very helpful!! I didnt know about the construction of a town center at Dunn Loring, and I liked that area on my driveby, so it could be a contender. Do you think that the Dunn Loring area is safe?

Overall, I think I might be falling in love with Vienna, especially since it has gotten such rave reviews here! I think it is so lovely with all the green foliage which impressed me when I visited for a few hours looking at Vienna Carmel.

Is there a downtown district in Vienna? If yes, what is the name of the main street where most of the downtown businesses are located? I hear references to the downtown, but can't seem to figure out where it is.

Thanks again for your help!!! You are a blessing!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 AM

11 posts, read 16,761 times
Downtown Vienna (if you can call it that) is centered around busy Maple Ave (Rt 123) and the more scenic and walkable Church Street off Center Street by the Vienna Presbyterian Church and the WO&D bike trail. There you can walk to popular Nielsen's Frozen Custard, Great Harvest Bread Co., Bazin's on Church restaurant, find great sushi at Sushi Yoshi or eat chili dogs at the Vienna Inn or NY style pizza at Church Street Pizzeria. Even though it doesn't match the scenic downtowns you'll find in New England, I think that Vienna best combines the feel of small town America with a commuter friendly and family friendly central location in Fairfax County (though I'm clearly biased as a Vienna resident for almost 10 years!). For even more flavor, take a look at the Vienna Patch website and its coverage of last weekend's Viva Vienna fair on Church Street (especially the video of Vienna Elementary students cute as a button flash mob on Memorial Day). I'm not saying there aren't other charming areas in Northern Virginia such as Old Town Alexandria and Clifton, but Vienna is special...

Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM

186 posts, read 424,632 times
I have to second the Vienna is great comment I have lived here for 16 years...landed in Vienna quite by accident But boy am I glad I love it here, my kids grew up here I have tons of friends.

It is a very family friendly town...not only do we have Viva Vienna but the ever popular Halloween Parade...4th of July fireworks,

There is a great youth sports program for both boys and girls...

In my opionion you cant go wrong in Vienna

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,343,172 times
Right, the "downtown" in Vienna would be an urban planner's nightmare since it's really just one long ribbon on either side of Route-123 (Maple Avenue) from just beyond Nutley Street on one end to East Street on the other. The exception as mentioned above is a few blocks of Church Street to the north, between the train station (Mill Street) and Lawyers Road. That stretch, with the train depot, the trolley stop, the Post Office, and all the churches, was the center of town through the first half of the 20th century, but with population inflows after WWII, the town center was deliberately relocated to Maple Avenue with all its extra room for commercial expansion. Some beautiful old homes and trees had to be taken down to accomplish the move and the widening of Maple Avenue that went along with that, but it was no doubt the right thing in the long run. Although car dealers and fast-food joints were zoned out of the picture early on, not a whole lot of planning has gone into downtown development since, and the new downtown sort of just stretched itself further and further out along Maple Avenue in both directions until becoming what it is today. But even with as many modern rules as it might violate, downtown Vienna still works well for those who live here. The major drawback is that it puts a lot of pressure on Maple Avenue to handle all the traffic, so it can get a little crowded when we all try to go shopping at the same time, such as on most Saturdays. But you won't find many who have lived here or currently do who will run the place down at all. It really is a lovely town and a delightful place to live.

(Perhaps moreso on days when it isn't 97 degrees outside, though.)

Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM

171 posts, read 264,879 times
YankeeAloha,
Check Country Creek townhomes neighborhood which is close to Vienna metro station and Nottoway park. It has older and smaller townhouses but they are still good. Although rent there might be a little higher than your current budget...

CCA Home Page

http://www.johnmurray-realtor.com/co...country-creek/ -- Disclamer: I am not a RE broker and I am not referring this agent, either. I only provided this link as a price reference.

Homes by the Vienna Metro

Also, may I suggest, to get in your car and just drive around the general area where you want/plan to live? :-) This will give you a feel for a neighborhood and if you like it or not. Also, this way you can find available rentals quickly and then contact them/agents directly, if you like.

Good luck again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia